Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crank Pulley oil threads gouged
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slappy768r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank Pulley oil threads gouged Reply with quote

FeelthySanchez wrote:
No mention of checking or replacing the conrods here, & odds are that you've got at least 1 that's bent from this new info - possibly a torqued crank journal as well.
Leaking valves should be the least concern at this point, as the pin on this "Grenade Engine, Xtreme" has been pulled ......

Slappy768r wrote:
These aren’t the GEX heads. Part of the story mentioned above was that the original engine had an 8mm nut inside the cylinder when I received it from GEX. I just thought the valves were noisy. So the pistons, cylinders and heads are all new to the engine. The VW shop that I took it to rebuilt those bits after the nut welded the intake valve open and then made its way into the other cylinder and started to beat that one up too. So they put all matches pistons, new cylinders and rebuilt heads.

I forgot to mention, this all happened just over ten years ago. So for the past ten years, this hasn’t been a “GEX” engine. This has rebuilt after the nut was in there, and has run very well for the past ten years, up until the timing was off, and it got hot to the point where the aluminum crank pulley expanded and was squeezed into the opening where the OD threads run, keeping the oil in. Which I believe saved my engine.
Slappy768r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank Pulley oil threads gouged Reply with quote

So...after further contemplation, and consultation, I decided to take the entire engine apart. I found all of the bearing to be shot completely and the lifters need to be replaced. And the no. 3 cylinder was pitted beyond repair. The crank was fine, Gene at MBM checked it for me. He’s the only VW guy around here. Yay...
Quick note first, the engine specs:
After market Auto Linea case with dual releaf
69 mm stock (non counter weighted) crank
Stock connecting rods
Stock VW cam that seems to be reground. It measures approx. .399” lift w/ 1.1:1 rockers. I cannot measure the duration.
94mm Mahle pistons and sleeves
CB Performance 044 heads w/ 40mm intake and 35.5 exhaust valves, and not ported. 1.1:1 rockers with solid rocker shaft and HD single springs.
I run dual Kadrons with I believe 32mm venturi’s that Kaddyshack sent be the jets for when I upped the venturi size. (I know, Weber IDFs are better, but I’m not made of money, and I’m not racing the thing)
Stock heaters and Empi GT style, two tip 1 3/8” exhaust. It has the extra tubing from cylinders 2 and 4 to match the J tube length. Not sure if that is a “Merged” or not.
When I put that exhaust on a few months ago, I had to remove the screw on oil filter that hung off the oil pump, and I went with no filter, due to the new exhaust being in the way. And I was planning on doing a full flow later. Previous exhaust was the Empi GT style four tip.
Sooooo... back to current. When I took the case apart, the oil was glittery with metal bits, yay... As far as the gouge in the crank pulley area, the VW guy here said that I should be able to flatten to high spot and it shouldn’t leak anymore. He thinks that because of the condition of the no. 3 sleeve, that I was getting g excessive blow by. It was pretty bad.
I’m doing new bearings all around.
New pistons and sleeves set. Gonna stay with 94mm.
New Scat C35 cam and Scat lifters
New exhaust valves
Having the intake valves reground and all the seats recut by a machinist. They were all leaking. Yay...
Full flow oil system (might as well, right? I have the case apart)
New engine hardware
And will replace my built-on “leaky style” valve covers with stock bale type, black ones.
That should be it. Just slowly buying the parts and gonna start potting it back together here in the next month or so.
I’ll post pics if anyone wants. Just let me know.
Thank you for all the help! It was much appreciated! And to mukluk, Gene at MBM, or you mentioned Action Auto (Two different companies that share office space) was the guy that I took my engine parts to, and had him check them out. Thank you for telling me about him.
Thank you all again for the replies!!
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Crank Pulley oil threads gouged Reply with quote

Good to hear you've got things on track, please do post up pics and keep us up to date on progress.

I couldn't remember the name MBM, always been pretty bad recalling names, but Action Auto sounded familiar... I had to remember how I used to drive down to the place using Google Maps to verify it was the one I was thinking of... PCS'd out of there back in May of 99.

Why not Minot? 'Cause it's F'n cold. Wink
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank Pulley oil threads gouged Reply with quote

currently have an engine with an autolinea aluminum case apart and was googling what problems these cases have...found a post on a european forum called volkszone from 2008 with a guy complaining about the same case/pully issue and the replies being that this was a common issue with these cases
Slappy768r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank Pulley oil threads gouged Reply with quote

volksworld wrote:
currently have an engine with an autolinea aluminum case apart and was googling what problems these cases have...found a post on a european forum called volkszone from 2008 with a guy complaining about the same case/pully issue and the replies being that this was a common issue with these cases

Thanks. Not sure when mine happened. It could’ve been like that for a long time, and just started leaking due to excessive blow by. I smothed the high spots, and I’m gonna get a new pulley and if it leaks still I’ll do a bolt on type sand seal. I don’t think it’ll be a problem since the gouges are in the center and not the edges. But we’ll see.
Thanks for the post.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: