Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dealing with Battery Tray Rust
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
exoticdvm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Dealing with Battery Tray Rust Reply with quote

Have a fairly rust-free '78 Bus (campmobile). However, I suspected some rust issues affecting the battery trays. After removing both batteries, there was definitely rust present including a small eroded hole under the auxiliary battery. Was planning on a POR-15 treatment, but not sure if this type of rust damage warrants welding in of new metal. How would you treat this? Go forward with POR-15? More serious intervention? Any advice appreciated! Photo attached.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealing with Battery Tray Rust Reply with quote

That's a perfect place for POR15. Be sure to do the proper prep work. They also make a mesh I believe that will handle that rust hole. Put a bolt in the bracket hole so you don;t fill the threads with the POR. Do the underside as well. This message depends solely on how thick the remaining metal is-you know a battery is pretty heavy

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
Poptopcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealing with Battery Tray Rust Reply with quote

I have a 78 and one of my trays was totally rotted. The PO put a piece of carpet in that hole, to hold the battery. The other side was a little bit worse than yours, but solid. I POR-15ed both sides. I bought new trays from BD, but I'm not ready to weld yet. Yours looks like POR-15 will give you some more miles. As long as it's still solid enough to support the battery.
2020 VW Tiguan
2001 Harley Electraglide Classic
1986 BMW R 800cc motorcycle
2002 Chevy Camaro Z28
1999 Harley Sportster 1200 Custom
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealing with Battery Tray Rust Reply with quote

Treat the rust with some form of phosphoric acid (like POR 15) and then put several layers of fiberglass on the bottom of the box and run the glass up the sides to the height of the battery or a bit more.
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealing with Battery Tray Rust Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Treat the rust with some form of phosphoric acid (like POR 15) and then put several layers of fiberglass on the bottom of the box and run the glass up the sides to the height of the battery or a bit more.

Let me start by saying I "am not" an expert, I have noted some methods for getting rid of rust by spray metalizing with a flame, cool stuff , I also saw a product at my coating company that sprays zinc to build back rusted metal that is very fragile, it is very interesting and am heading to this area, watch my thread "

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=680122
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealing with Battery Tray Rust Reply with quote

popuppopdog wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Let me start by saying I "am not" an expert, I have noted some methods for getting rid of rust by spray metalizing with a flame, cool stuff , I also saw a product at my coating company that sprays zinc to build back rusted metal that is very fragile, it is very interesting and am heading to this area, watch my thread "

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=680122

I have had spray welding done over the years and think that it can be a great restoration tool. In the now distant past, I have been to Camby, OR several times to get spray welding done by Rustbusters. Sadly the owners of this company have retired and/or passed on and who knows where their welding equipment may have ended up.
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealing with Battery Tray Rust Reply with quote

If you go the POR15 route, follow the directions with attention to detail and make sure to clean and treat the underside also(wheel well area).

I prefer the cut and replace method with regards to battery trays.
(sold - but not forgotten)
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Dealing with Battery Tray Rust Reply with quote

Your tray will eventually look like my 1977's tray:

But the 1970 bus I had was Swiss Cheese, yet solid around the edges. I decided to cut out portions of the holes, weld in sheet metal patches, then douche it with POR-15:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Dealing with Battery Tray Rust Reply with quote

I don't weld.
After treating the remaining metal with POR15 (or equivalent) I repaired my battery tray with a piece of 3/4" exterior plywood 11 years ago. Still there and it is fine.
That being said someone on this from (Gary/Aeromech?) got a new metal battery tray and used panel adhesive to "glue" it into place. Looked very clean. If I were to do another tray I'd go that route.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Dealing with Battery Tray Rust Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
I don't weld.
After treating the remaining metal with POR15 (or equivalent) I repaired my battery tray with a piece of 3/4" exterior plywood 11 years ago. Still there and it is fine.
That being said someone on this from (Gary/Aeromech?) got a new metal battery tray and used panel adhesive to "glue" it into place. Looked very clean. If I were to do another tray I'd go that route.

If you don't own a welder, I'd say this is a great approach. Something like Panel Bond by 3M is essentially like welding in metal. I've got some more work on my bus and I think I'll be using panel bond for it.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: