Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Line Replacement
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volksmann13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Fuel Line Replacement Reply with quote

I have a 1966 Ghia. I was going to just replace the fuel tank, but I'm sure everyone knows how this goes. I take the tank off and realize the fuel hoses need replacing too. I want to do this right, so I buy 4AN stainless that fits the factory lines just fine. Unfortunately, the fuel pump and the fuel outlet nipple on the tank are 5/16 and the fuel filters and the carburetor are 6AN. I would like to have one uniform size, but realistically what are my options?
Volksmann13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Replacement Reply with quote

So I did a little brainstorming and decided I'm going to try to fabricate my own fuel line and tank nipple for 3/8. I'm still stuck on how to get around the fact that my fuel pump is 5/16. Will keep posted.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Replacement Reply with quote

I removed the inlet/outlet pipes from the fuel pump and tapped the holes for AN fittings. I had to buy a NPT tap.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Volksmann13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Replacement Reply with quote

Brilliant! Do you recommend that I buy a pump with removable nipples or do you think I can get away with cutting them off and drilling and tapping the hole?
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Replacement Reply with quote

Volksmann13 wrote:
Brilliant! Do you recommend that I buy a pump with removable nipples or do you think I can get away with cutting them off and drilling and tapping the hole?

I cut the pipes then drilled out the brass material. Then tapped.

Mike Gerson

kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Replacement Reply with quote

I might also add that you could possibly twist and pull the inlet/outlet pipes out.

Mike Gerson

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Replacement Reply with quote

Some of the Pierburg pumps come threaded. I think these were on the 40 horse motors. I use one I rebuilt on my motor.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/360700.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Volksmann13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Replacement Reply with quote

So here is a status update...it seriously took me a month to get this together. I've tried all sorts of materials and methods of fabrication and I actually had to learn to braze to make this one happen because apparently no one does that anymore, but there is no better way to accomplish this application. The stainless pipe I commandeered from work and the stainless washer I had to special order via ebay. I brazed using a bronze brazing rod and oxy/MAP pen torch. I also had to drill out the neural nut and gasket and have conducted a successful leak test on it...now I'm stuck trying to figure out how to run the fuel line through the tunnel. I really don't want to route this through the cabin, but it seems even the best car restoration experts prefer this. Anyone else ever run it through the tunnel that can provide some pointers?
kgj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Replacement Reply with quote

Hi, my 58 had a “new” fuel line installed before I got it. A flexible rubber hose front to back, so have faced this problem myself.
I replaced the above with a cunifer fuel line following the original route without any major problems. I did have the body off the pan which made access and the pull through possible. So it can be done. Whether this can be done with the body on the pan, it will be way harder.
Volksmann13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Replacement Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. If I ever do a frame off restoration, I definitely want to revisit this, but I tried damn near everything to no avail. I decided to route the fuel line with the brake line through the passenger side of the vehicle. I had to drill a few holes to make it happen, but it was a sacrifice I was willing to make to reduce the clutter around the pedal cluster. Definitely not as ideal as what you did, but it's the next best and much more practical option at this time.
PolarBearVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Replacement Reply with quote

Yeah I did the body-on new line routing last year. There are several threads on the topic.
If I recall the trick that worked for me was to use a 15ft stick to land a weed-wacker line at the back of the tunnel near the access plate/hole. Once that line is threaded at both ends it's an exercise in patience to pull that metal tube through the tunnel.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: