Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
Breather hose connection
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
frogman_94
Samba Member


Joined: March 10, 2006
Posts: 84

frogman_94 is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Breather hose connection Reply with quote

I'm confused. Is there two types of oil bath air cleaners for the Think? The one I have, the breather hose connection goes straight down but I've seen ones that have a 90 degree elbow. I just got the hose from The Thing Shop and it is a straight hose. It would work great if my air cleaner had the 90 degree elbow but it doesn't. So when I attach the hose it gets a kink in it. Do they make a different hose with a 90 degree on one end to account for the air cleaners with the straight down connection?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stl_stadtroller Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: June 22, 2009
Posts: 302
Location: St. Louis
stl_stadtroller is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pictures would help, but there are 2 hoses to the air cleaner that could be called "breather hose"

There's a hose to the oil tower, and one that goes to the port on top of the fan shroud.

In some way that I can't recall off the top of my head, parts of this involves the vapor canister / fuel system.
_________________
Brian W
St. Louis, MO
'64 SO-33 Hatch Top Westy | '73 Thing | '87 Syncro Westy: Subaru EZ30D powered | 2002 VW Winnebago Vista
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
citroen
Samba Member


Joined: February 28, 2010
Posts: 1571
Location: louisville ky
citroen is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a picture of brothers engine which is about as close to stock as you can get how does yours compare to this
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member


Joined: March 13, 2005
Posts: 36146

Wildthings is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather hose connection Reply with quote

frogman_94 wrote:
I'm confused. Is there two types of oil bath air cleaners for the Think? The one I have, the breather hose connection goes straight down but I've seen ones that have a 90 degree elbow. I just got the hose from The Thing Shop and it is a straight hose. It would work great if my air cleaner had the 90 degree elbow but it doesn't. So when I attach the hose it gets a kink in it. Do they make a different hose with a 90 degree on one end to account for the air cleaners with the straight down connection?


I just bought a preformed piece of heater hose from my FLAPS to replace my original breather hose with a 90į bend in it. I know that I will have to replace this hose every few years if I don't find one more suitable for use with oil and engine gases.

The one thing you want is for the hose to drain back into the engine. If there is a downward sag in it it will trap oily sludge and will easily clog at which point the resulting back pressure will blow all of your oil out of any and all available orifices in your engine. Believe me this is not a cool happening.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
frogman_94
Samba Member


Joined: March 10, 2006
Posts: 84

frogman_94 is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are pictures of the two different breather hose connections. One has the 90 degree elbow and one goes straight down.

Mine is straight down. It looks like the hose will work for either one.

Another question ..... What should the orientation be for the oil filler? Should the breather hose be next to the cap like the picture on the right or below the cap like the picture on the left?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
perello
Samba Member


Joined: April 15, 2005
Posts: 596
Location: where social security comes for free
perello is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
Aug '58 pressed bumper SO23
1974 German Thing
1978 Bug 1200
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member


Joined: March 13, 2005
Posts: 36146

Wildthings is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frogman_94 wrote:
Another question ..... What should the orientation be for the oil filler? Should the breather hose be next to the cap like the picture on the right or below the cap like the picture on the left?


I always position the breather so that it drains back into the engine as well as it can. Don't know what is considered correct though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
citroen
Samba Member


Joined: February 28, 2010
Posts: 1571
Location: louisville ky
citroen is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok this is a picture of a 74 with less that 9000 original miles so this is the way they come from the factory
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4118thing
Samba Member


Joined: July 26, 2016
Posts: 23
Location: WNC
4118thing is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

citroen wrote:
ok this is a picture of a 74 with less that 9000 original miles so this is the way they come from the factory
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Iím having trouble getting to the alternator strap, because the oil filler is positioned like this, with the breather neck up. Should it be positioned down, or up and rotated only when needing to get to the strap.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member


Joined: March 13, 2005
Posts: 36146

Wildthings is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4118thing wrote:
citroen wrote:
ok this is a picture of a 74 with less that 9000 original miles so this is the way they come from the factory
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Iím having trouble getting to the alternator strap, because the oil filler is positioned like this, with the breather neck up. Should it be positioned down, or up and rotated only when needing to get to the strap.


Rotate it as needed to get to the strap. I have a tool made up in a few minutes by grinding down the strap from a gate hinge to do this job. Lots of stuff you may have laying around may suffice for a oil filler tool.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2016, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB