Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Conundrum.....new van vs old van
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Conundrum.....new van vs old van Reply with quote

That blue Van did used to be Savannah Beige Metallic as Kam points out, look in my build thread and you will see real OG paint.

The jump seat behind the driver is missing as well.

This is often (incorrectly) called the "Weekender" version without the full kitchen.

Self shredding corduroy seats just like mine came with!

Shop wisely, check out that repaint carefully, what did they hide?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Conundrum.....new van vs old van Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
The jump seat behind the driver is missing as well.

Seller claims to still have it and that it's included in the sale, but the upholstery is shredded (no surprise there).
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Simpdog5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Conundrum.....new van vs old van Reply with quote

OK, help needed. Just went and looked at a 1986 Westy for sale for $14,500. 183K miles. Link below:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/1986-westfalia-weekender/6383332999.html

The Good:
Completely rust free
Engine started and ran very well
Van drove very well and very straight
All doors closed easily; sliding door closed perfectly
Original (looked like to me at least) paint and no body work/accidents
Van has been garaged and not registered since 2012

The Bad:
-No records of when/if engine/tranny rebuild/replacements done (I don't know much about engines but it sure looked clean with some really new looking parts)
-AC not connected
-no radio
-needs new upholstery on all seats
-needs new fabric for tent

One of the, if not THE least amount of rust I'ver seen on any of the vans I've looked at so far.

Considering. Any advice, tips, opinions very welcomed and appreciated!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]

[img]

[/img]
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Conundrum.....new van vs old van Reply with quote

I like the poptop and the interior space without the galley. Price seems high. 183,000 miles for an OG engine is high, but if driven well and maintained will last x miles. I don't like to see a trailer hitch. Probably additional stress on the Vanagon drive train and brakes. The weekender poptops are a bit difficult to find, but still considerably less expensive than a poptop and galley.
Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
novws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Conundrum.....new van vs old van Reply with quote

It looks like a solid van and a good one to build in. But the lack of records make me worry about the longevity of the mechanicals.

I also prefer the non camper versions for their addition space and lack of extra weight to have to pull around, but they also generally cost less so the price of this one seems a couple of grand too high given its condition and lack of records.

I wouldn’t rule it out by any means, but you should get a pre-purchase inspection and try to get the price down. And expect to have some patience with it and do at least some (if not more!) deferred maintenance right off the bat.
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Conundrum.....new van vs old van Reply with quote

Simpdog5 wrote:

So enough about me; let's talk about the surf!

Good day at Andrew Molera?
Simpdog5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Conundrum.....new van vs old van Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:
Simpdog5 wrote:

So enough about me; let's talk about the surf!

Good day at Andrew Molera?

Fact!!! But better surf to be found down the road a bit....fortunate for me my 3 boys love to surf and don't pang to go snowboarding or skiing....keep 'em near the water and they're stoked!!

For this who are interested I think I've settled on looking for a AT Wolfsburg Edition 86-91.......keep an ear to the ground for me- Thanks all!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Conundrum.....new van vs old van Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

When I visit the inlaws for Thanksgiving in a few weeks, the T4 will invariably be parked next to BIL #1's 15 passenger Ford van and BIL #2's Honda Odyssey. The T4 will be a little bigger than the latter and a little smaller than the former; a midsized van. This really ain't rocket surgery.

As it turned out, this weekend I drove up for an early Thanksgiving in a rental '2017 Dodge Grand Caravan, due to my wife being rear-ended in her decidedly not minivan 2001 EV Weekender. Suffice to say, this vehicle is without a shred of doubt not even remotely similar to any Transporter ever made. Period.

To the OP, you want the best example of an '89 -'91 Weekender or Multivan you can find.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: