Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine advice
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
msaltz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Engine advice Reply with quote

I am new to VW's and I just recently acquired a 65 Karmann Ghia. The engine has a lot of brass? shavings in the oil and relatively low compression on the no. 3 cylinder. I was planning on going through the engine and putting it back in but after doing a little research I have decided that putting my money towards a bigger engine may be the way to go. Which leads to my questions, since I have no experience with VW engines I am not sure how much engine I should go with. I want something that would be fairly reliable, idles well and I would like to use the Ghia as a daily driver. Within that I would like it to be fun to drive with the most HP that makes sense. That being said I was thinking about the below engine parts list as a starting point and would like to know if I am heading in the right direction or if there is anything I should change, any input would be greatly appreciated.

1) New Magnesium engine case bored for 94's, stroke relieved and full flowed.
2) AA 92B Thick Wall P&C's
3) Crank-4340 forged chromoly, counterwwighted 78mm Stroke, vw journals
4) Rods- 5.5” H-beam w/ARP Bolts
5) Cam- web 163
6) Rocker Arms- Scat pro street 707 1.25:1
7) Heads- Big Valve 40 x 35.5 dual valve spring
Cool Push rods- Manton Chrome Molly
9) Bearings, Main, Cam & rod- Silverline?
10) Lifters-Scat Lube a lobe?

CR- 8.5-9:1? Have not thought about Carbs or exhaust at this point.

Also, I may not be asking the right questions so any insight to that would also be greatly appreciated.
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: ENGINE ADVICE Reply with quote

Get SLR treated lifters.....stay away from the lube a lobes. Go with 82 crank and 5.4 rods...goes together real nice....juat like what you have only 82 crank will more bottom end torque in that heavy Ghia. Wolverine bearings are fine. Buy new rings for the AA's..Grant .....the ones they come with have issues. Not sure about cr....not familiar with that cam.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msaltz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: ENGINE ADVICE Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply as far as the lifters, are the SLR treated lifters still SCAT? if possible could you post a link to those lifters?

As far as using this size engine 2180, is this something that is suitable for a daily driver?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine advice Reply with quote

and CB's lost pan of cheetos heads. ditto on the crank&rods..or more stroke&5.5 rods. and aluminum bubble top case instead of the mag case. I havent a clue what that cam is but what ever you want it to do get the cam for that app Shocked and.... 1.35 cb rockers&scat lash caps...and.... jcee or scat big mouth pushrod tubes....and...cb or empi "C" chanel valve covers....and...total seal rings....on what ever pistons you decide on and.....coated beariings...and.....
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine advice Reply with quote

msaltz wrote:

I would build
2) AA 92B Thick Wall P&C's Yes change the rings to Grant or Devee's
3) Crank-4340 forged chromoly, counterwwighted 82mm Stroke, vw journals
4) Rods- 5.4” H-beam w/ARP Bolts
5) Cam- Engle FK-8 ground on a SC1 blank
6) Rocker Arms- Scat 1.4:1
7) Heads- Big Valve 40 x 35.5 dual valve spring get the CB Panchito
9) Bearings, Silverline Main, Mahle Cam & rod-
10) Lifters-Scat Lightweight. Stay away from the SLR and Lobe-A Lobe Both are unnecessary way to get extra money out of you.
CR- 8.5-9:1?

Have not thought about Carbs or exhaust at this point. Dual Weber 44 IDF's and 1 5/8" exhaust

esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine advice Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
msaltz wrote:

I would build
10) Lifters-Scat Lightweight. Stay away from the SLR and Lobe-A Lobe Both are unnecessary way to get extra money out of you.

Have not thought about Carbs or exhaust at this point. Dual Weber 44 IDF's and 1 5/8" exhaust

Mo betta! Wink
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine advice Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
msaltz wrote:

I would build

X2, The web 86b would be good too but that is a preference thing, both are good. Dan
TerryFM75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine advice Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
msaltz wrote:

I would build

I agree with this engine combo. Would be an awesome daily driver and super reliable. With the FK-8/1.4 rockers, this thing will blow the doors off of any Honda/Ricer out there.
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine advice Reply with quote

And don't forget the tranny. I suggest Rancho or someone else that builds good transaxles.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine advice Reply with quote

With the 86b run it at 9:1 and get your manifold ported too as well as make sure you do not skimp on your heads and get a good set of ported heads.
msaltz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine advice Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice and the CB Panchito heads are a good call. Excellent performance for not a lot of $. I was looking for the most performance I can get in a fairly reliable daily driver package. I wanted to make sure I was headed in a good direction before spending my money.

Looks like the general consensus approves vwracerdave's reccomendations.

Thanks vwracerdave. Also I was looking at Benco for the tranny, some super duper freeway flyer for about $1,300 Shocked . I wanted to wait on the tranny until I had a good idea on the engine.

Thanks again to everybody and if there is any more advice I would greatly appreciate it.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine advice Reply with quote

Daily driver? You might want to consider my beehive valve spring kit. Click on my ads. Dan
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine advice Reply with quote

where is Fallbrook?
msaltz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine advice Reply with quote

Fallbrook, California in Northern San Diego County.
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine advice Reply with quote

msaltz wrote:
Thanks for all the advice and the CB Panchito heads are a good call. Excellent performance for not a lot of $. I was looking for the most performance I can get in a fairly reliable daily driver package. I wanted to make sure I was headed in a good direction before spending my money.

Thanks vwracerdave. Also I was looking at Benco for the tranny, some super duper freeway flyer for about $1,300 Shocked . I wanted to wait on the tranny until I had a good idea on the engine.

Thanks again to everybody and if there is any more advice I would greatly appreciate it.

$1,300 is cheap! I paid a little more than double that for my Rancho with chromoly axles....it had a couple extras in it.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine advice Reply with quote

When we are in the FK8 cam area, might I also suggest the CB 2288 which is in the same range. A tad nippier than the FK8, a tad noisier than the 86b but about the same power as the 86b.

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Engine advice Reply with quote

msaltz wrote:

You should check out my 050 Rasser cylinder heads. They will produce excellent HP and run cooler than any other casting out there....

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bugsy61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine advice Reply with quote

For the money that you'll have invested in engine suggested above, I think I would rather have a stock short block, 94 PCs, no name 40 by 37 heads with a DIY port job and dual springs, any small cam, DDVA distributor with Pertronix module, and a small turbocharger. Add water injection. An engine like this will make very high torque at 3500 rpm because the turbo is feeding the engine a lot of air even though it is still making an inch or two vacuum and not yet on boost. Just the thing to go well with a freeway flyer transaxle in a daily driver. Bonuses are smooth idle, very broad torque curve, and good mileage without all the "big cam" drama. Sorry to be the "wise guy" in the thread, but I love my turbochargers.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine advice Reply with quote

Bugsy61 wrote:
For the money that you'll have invested in engine suggested above, I think I would rather have a stock short block, 94 PCs, no name 40 by 37 heads with a DIY port job and dual springs, any small cam, DDVA distributor with Pertronix module, and a small turbocharger. Add water injection. An engine like this will make very high torque at 3500 rpm because the turbo is feeding the engine a lot of air even though it is still making an inch or two vacuum and not yet on boost. Just the thing to go well with a freeway flyer transaxle in a daily driver. Bonuses are smooth idle, very broad torque curve, and good mileage without all the "big cam" drama. Sorry to be the "wise guy" in the thread, but I love my turbochargers.

A turbo and water injection for a guy new to VWs? Really?
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Engine advice Reply with quote

My ignorance showing?
But with the TW 92s, does case need to be opened up for 94? Or is there a version of TW cylinder that accommodates 94 at both head and case?
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: