Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Was told the bearing had spun ?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RENTEDCOW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Was told the bearing had spun ? Reply with quote

Hello I just bought a(nother) Thing. The photos below show the original engine (what I was told). The previous owner told me the bearing had spun in the engine case. I searched a little on Samba on the topic and the question is whether or not damage was done to the engine case.

I bought the Thing, a spare working engine, engine stand, and parts. Now that I have an engine stand. Does anyone have any recommendations (samba posts, youtube videos, etc.) on inspecting the engine to see if there was damage done?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Was told the bearing had spun ? Reply with quote

The only way your going to know is to disassemble and a visual inspection needs to be done and most likely send to a repituble vw machine to inspect further.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Was told the bearing had spun ? Reply with quote

ditto.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Was told the bearing had spun ? Reply with quote

Spun rod bearing: new or reground crankshaft, and new rods
spun main bearing: new case, or possible repair with a line bore and redrilled locating dowel.
Like mcdragracer posted, you have to open it up to see how bad what is damaged, and how many times it's been fixed before. If you are inclined and have a dial caliper, you can disassemble it and measure the parts yourself.

Last edited by esde on Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Was told the bearing had spun ? Reply with quote

Looks like a 1776cc waiting to come out. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Was told the bearing had spun ? Reply with quote

cow, have you ever taken a VW engine apart before? You only need a few sizes of metric sockets/wrenches and other common tools such as flat and Phillips screwdrivers, adjustable wrench. If you need guidance as to the wrench/fastener sizes we can advise you.

You need to remove the crankshaft pulley large nut and the pulley so the engine tin behind it can come off and enable the case halves to come apart. Have about 15 small containers on hand and mark them as to the fasteners to keep track of them for cleaning and eventual reassembly. My recommendation for a repair manual is Tom Wilson's "How to rebuild your aircooled VW engine". Has disassembly in a logical order, then describes what to look for as to internal component damage. The flywheel can remain fastened to the crank for the purpose of engine case disassembly. Once the case is fully open, you can take out the crank + FW, place the FW on your workbench with the crank sticking straight up. This position gives you free access and reasonable stability to remove all 4 connecting rods and expose the crank journals.

To best of my knowledge, Thing engines did not have the two big fresh air outlets on the fan shroud like there are on your engine, because cars came equipped with a gas heater in the front trunk.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Was told the bearing had spun ? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
cow, have you ever taken a VW engine apart before? You only need a few sizes of metric sockets/wrenches and other common tools such as flat and Phillips screwdrivers, adjustable wrench. If you need guidance as to the wrench/fastener sizes we can advise you.

You need to remove the crankshaft pulley large nut and the pulley so the engine tin behind it can come off and enable the case halves to come apart. Have about 15 small containers on hand and mark them as to the fasteners to keep track of them for cleaning and eventual reassembly. My recommendation for a repair manual is Tom Wilson's "How to rebuild your aircooled VW engine". Has disassembly in a logical order, then describes what to look for as to internal component damage. The flywheel can remain fastened to the crank for the purpose of engine case disassembly. Once the case is fully open, you can take out the crank + FW, place the FW on your workbench with the crank sticking straight up. This position gives you free access and reasonable stability to remove all 4 connecting rods and expose the crank journals.

To best of my knowledge, Thing engines did not have the two big fresh air outlets on the fan shroud like there are on your engine, because cars came equipped with a gas heater in the front trunk.

Small containers mean zip lock baggies and felt marking pen.....

IF never taking apart an engine before get a good book on VW engines ***FIRST*** and read some....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Was told the bearing had spun ? Reply with quote

Beautiful, don't worry about it till you see. Case is probably toast maybe not you can go .080" even more over on a main . Rods no big deal get new and a new crank anyhow! Sometimes rods are resized. Generally though you scrap the rod on a spun bearing and have the others re-sized.

A good tool to get to help with the flywheel is one of these:
Pacific Customs,
JBugs,
California Import Parts,
Mofoco,
Moore,
Used,
I think I will buy this myself!
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Was told the bearing had spun ? Reply with quote

AE is not a Thing engine number, will fit but not original
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: