Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

more hp
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bug me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: more hp Reply with quote

I'm thinking of getting a different motor for my 64 I want to get something with a sizeable horsepower increase. I also want it to be reliable, I drive the car almost every day during the summer . any suggestions on a good turn key motor and what should be avoided . thanks
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: more hp Reply with quote

If you have the 1964 1200cc engine, a good choice would be a 1600cc engine. Might be a good time to upgrade to 12 volts if not already.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: more hp Reply with quote

Speed costs. How fast do you want to go? How fast do you want to stop?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: more hp Reply with quote

I put over 100,000 miles on a 1776 and drove it daily. It had about 95hp.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bug me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: more hp Reply with quote

my 64 has been switched over to a 12 volt system and about 5 yrs. ago I replaced the tired 1200cc with a used 1600 from a 1972 bug. Now I want more power. but reliability is very important.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: more hp Reply with quote

My engine was very reliable.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: more hp Reply with quote

Something tells me he ain’t gonna pony up and build a Gene Berg engine. Just sayin.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: more hp Reply with quote

bug me wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a different motor for my 64 I want to get something with a sizeable horsepower increase. I also want it to be reliable, I drive the car almost every day during the summer . any suggestions on a good turn key motor and what should be avoided . thanks

Yes GEX engines don’t have a real good record here, you might wanna cross them off your short list. Very Happy
bug me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: more hp Reply with quote

Does someone have a suggestion for a well made turn key engine?. I'm not familiar with Berg I have heard of gex my budget is around 4k complete. Is it possible? ?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: more hp Reply with quote

bug me wrote:
Does someone have a suggestion for a well made turn key engine?. I'm not familiar with Berg I have heard of gex my budget is around 4k complete. Is it possible? ?

CHEAP - FAST - RELIABLE
Looks like you picked cheap and reliable, so forget fast.

Honestly, you're not going to find a well built turn key performance engine for $4000.

Dual carbs along are going to cost $700, heads are $600, case $800 and $350 for crank and flywheel. Then there's the rest of the parts and shipping.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: more hp Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I put over 100,000 miles on a 1776 and drove it daily. It had about 95hp.

I put over 150,000 miles on an 1835cc and drove it daily, in Arizona, using dealer-installed AC system in my 1970. I figure mine had 85hp as heads were not done, had stock cam, single Weber carb, CB Maxi2 oil pump/filter.

Glenn wrote:
My engine was very reliable.

As is mine, still running, last apart in 1986, but now in my 1971 - one reason I haven't taken the engine apart to pretty it up. The AC stayed with my 1970.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: more hp Reply with quote

bug me wrote:

The only way 4 grand would work?? Haunt all the swap meets, buy good used and be able to call in a few favors, brother in law deals. Then you do all or most of the assembly yourself. Stock engine turnkey engines are in the neighborhood of 4 grand now. I don't see how the figure you've provided is realistic today.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: more hp Reply with quote

Not sure what part of the world you live. Shop around you could do it for under 4K. Still have realiablity too.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
empi3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: more hp Reply with quote

You might want to add Aircooled.net to your list of possible candidates.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/VW-Longblocks-s/78.htm

Steven

PS don't forget shipping costs.

1970 Beetle
1956 Ragtop Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: more hp Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Not sure what part of the world you live. Shop around you could do it for under 4K. Still have realiablity too.

This same question comes up on the performance forum on a regular basis. No way can you build anything using quality parts for that price then add in labor to build it? Good luck.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: more hp Reply with quote

I just built a 1914 and have over $5000 in parts alone. That doesn't include machining, labor and the core engine. It's overbuilt and should be very reliable.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: more hp Reply with quote

glenn, can you list the specs on that engine?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: more hp Reply with quote

A/C . Net 2180 Looks like upwards of 4800 just for long block, now add in all the accessories, carbs,dyno time, further assembly labor charges probably another 2 grand minimum. There is no free lunch and it's not 1987, those days and prices are gone. 😐
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: more hp Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
glenn, can you list the specs on that engine?

94x69=1914
CW crank forged
12lb forged flywheel
5.4 H Beam rods
CB 2242 cam
Panchito 044 heads 40x35.5
CB ported intake manifolds
Dual Weber IDFs
KEP Stage 1 pressure plate
1.5qt deep sump
1.5" heater boxes
Vintage Speed muffler
Pertronix billet distributor
Bosch Blue coil
MST Serp Belt

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: more hp Reply with quote

If you rebuild your current motor, increase the displacement to 1776cc, and assemble it yourself, you should be able to stick pretty close to your budget. That assumes your case is usable and you already have dual-port heads that can be rebuilt. Even if you need to get a pair new stock D/P heads, you should still come in pretty close to $4K.

This motor will have a welded, counter-weighted 69mm crank & lightened flywheel (from DPR Machine or equiv.), rebuilt stock rods, hotter cam (Engle 100 or equiv.), new lifters, solid rocker shafts, heavy-duty single valve springs, heavy-duty push rods, CB Maxi2 filter pump, dual Kadron carbs (available used from the classifieds here or at a swap meet for under $300), a rebuilt Bosch 019 distributor and a single quiet-pack extractor exhaust.

This pencils out to around $2.7K in parts ($3.2K if you need new heads) and around $750 in shop labor and includes miscellaneous stuff like a new stock clutch & pressure plate, bearings, hardware, gaskets, etc. You'll still need to add in shipping costs for anything you buy on-line and maybe some sales tax depending on where you live. If you don't already have a doghouse oil cooler setup, it'll be another couple hundred in parts for the cooler, adapter and related tin.

Now this won't be some trick, top-of-the-line motor like Glenn built but it'll be a nice little street motor that'll provide a very noticeable bump in performance over a stock 1600. It should be reliable too...if you take proper care with the build and drive sensibly once you're back on the road.

Lots of suppliers are having sales for the holidays...good time to buy parts!
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: