Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 Bug Lights
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
theduck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: 1967 Bug Lights Reply with quote

Very Happy Hello all.I have a 67,Bug.I need any help out there regarding my Emergency rear tail light ,passenger side. When I use my turn signal,to turn right ,the light works ,however,the front and the rear light is weaker than the driver side.Also,when I turn on my emergency lights,the passenger side rear top light,And the regular (bottom),light also turns on! So I when to the wire harness in the motor area.I checked with my short tester.It lights up. If I disconnect all the wires from the light.And use my short tester, on the top red wire,the tester lights up only and the bottom does not light up,when I touch the red wire.And if I reconnect all the wires,then again all the lights (passenger only) light blinks ,the top and the bottom.Any help ? Thanx Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Bug Lights Reply with quote

you may have reduced voltage at the bulbs caused by high resistences in the connections. use a volt meter with the lights on. measure the drop across each connection, then eliminate the drops, starting with the largest ones. or shot gun it and clean all the connections between the light and the power source (ie back at least to the fuse holder. dont foget to clean the ground points at the lamp housings)

good luck, bug on!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
theduck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Bug Lights Reply with quote

Very Happy Hello,and thank for the reply.Well I am now stuck,read on.So I used my short tester on the lead for the emergency light.it lights up,however when I checked the brake light ,it also lights up.I am using the blue book.So I have a colored chart to follow.But ,I follow the green and black wire to the back ,passenger side.The green /black wire split,into a blk.white wire in the book.My car has the green/blk wire that goes all the way to the rear right light.The book shows different.The wires use a T3 connector for the rear right light.So as I mention ,when I pulled the brake light wore from the connector ,I used my short tester,and guess what,the tester lights up when I check both the hazard And the brake light.So I am a lost,and now I lost my ground to the right read light ,no lights work,If I used my short tester,they light up,but when I replace the light housing on no lights.The car has sat for 15 years.I am checking all the lights etc.To get it back on the road.But well ,need lights to work.Ant help out their? Thx all. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theduck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Bug Lights Reply with quote

Very Happy FIXED!!! Now my brake lights need work.I have juice coming out of the wire at the fuse box.But no juice at the bulb, nor at the connector just below the fuse box.Any ideals? Thx, Shocked
jessousa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Bug Lights Reply with quote

Did you follow bluebus86's suggestions? I had that kind of issue when I bought my 1962 beetle. Solved the problem cleaning all connections. I had really bad ground connections on my tail lights and after cleaning they came to life.
I also replaced my fusebox and that solved a lot of other issues. Make sure the fuses are all ok.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Bug Lights Reply with quote

theduck wrote:
Very Happy FIXED!!! Now my brake lights need work.I have juice coming out of the wire at the fuse box.But no juice at the bulb, nor at the connector just below the fuse box.Any ideals? Thx, Shocked

Check for juice at the brake master cylinder switch with ignition on, I heard he got released on pardon from prison.

But better yet - check for positive voltage at the brake master cylinder switch with ignition on, then "from" the switch when the pedal is pushed down.

If there's no continuity through that switch, the switch could be bad, there could be air in the brake system, etc. So check there, then the power goes to the rear light assembly.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
theduck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Bug Lights Reply with quote

Shocked I will ck,the brake switches(has 2).Thx.
theduck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Bug Lights Reply with quote

Shocked Hello all.Well I still have brake light issues.Allow me,I turn the key on,I have current at he fuse box,checked the lead tat goes to master cly.I have current to each switch .However I only have current to one wire on each switch.I checked the other wire and no current.I had someone push brake pedal and still the same.So i checked the black/red wire that goes to the rear lights again no current wit pedal pushed or not.All other lights work,and even the horn.Anyone ave a ideal what I have over looked? Shocked Thx,and KEEP ON BUGGING!!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Bug Lights Reply with quote

theduck wrote:
checked the lead that goes to master cly. I have current to each switch .However I only have current to one wire on each switch. I checked the other wire and no current.

That's the way it should be. And you'd be measuring positive voltage, not current.

theduck wrote:
I had someone push brake pedal and still the same.So i checked the black/red wire that goes to the rear lights again no current with pedal pushed or not.

So can ONLY be two things: either your brake system is not developing enough pressure to actuate even one of your brake light switches (like due to a hydraulic problem, mis-adjusted pushrod) or both brake switches are bad.

There really are no other options.

Did you actually replace both brake switches? Did you bleed the system at all four wheel cylinders? How many decades old is your brake fluid?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Bug Lights Reply with quote

test to see if problem is with the brake switch(es) or not.... short the switches by jumper wire, * turn on ignition and confirm that brakes lights are on, if not, the problem is NOT in the switches.

* short the switch with a wire so both terminals connect to each other, shorting either switch should turn on the brake lights,

good luck, Bug On, with safe, bright noticable brake lamps!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Bug Lights Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
test to see if problem is with the brake switch(es) or not.... short the switches by jumper wire, * turn on ignition and confirm that brakes lights are on, if not, the problem is NOT in the switches.

* short the switch with a wire so both terminals connect to each other, shorting either switch should turn on the brake lights,

good luck, Bug On, with safe, bright noticable brake lamps!

He did state that no voltage was coming out of either switch even with brake pedal pressed down.
theduck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Bug Lights Reply with quote

Shocked Thx,for the replies.I will check the switches.And get back to all. Shocked
theduck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Bug Lights Reply with quote

Very Happy Happy New Year all! Well Ok,time to get back to my 67 Bug.It has sat for at least 15 years.So now that I am retired I am getting it ready to use as my daily driver,rain or shine. Smile So Ok,I connected both wires(jumper),And yea the brake lights turn on! So I need to buy 2 switches.And then check them again.Hey it's a new year and got to get my Bug back on the road. Shocked Thx to all for your help.
theduck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Bug Lights Reply with quote

Shocked Hello all.Well have brake lights thx to all the help form samba members/parts.I have a question.A light bulb has 2 filaments,one is long other is short.My question this which one is for the running lights and which one is for the brake lights? I think the bulb is a 1157 or a 1156?Not sure .I am asking cuz,in my blue book it does not shoe which side the brake wire.or the running light wire connects to.The left side?The right side? Shocked Thx all and keep on bugging!!!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Bug Lights Reply with quote

1156 is single filament. 1157 is dual filament.

As to which side is which, I don't know if I ever tried to note it, really all I have to do is turn the parking lights on and if they light up REALLY BRIGHT, I know got them backwards. Wink

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Bug Lights Reply with quote

This is an image of the tail light wiring from the right rear of my 67.
I always take a pic of wiring when I feel I may forget what went where Shocked
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And this is correct. My lights work as designed.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
theduck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Bug Lights Reply with quote

OK,well ,when my lights are off at day time and I step on the brake they light up,low.When I am using my lights at night,the running lights are so brite,that you can barley see the brake lights when I step on them.I am looking at the blue book wiring diagram.I follow the wires to the rear,and it looks like the gray wire is on the left connector.So I am going to try them both ways. Shocked
theduck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Bug Lights Reply with quote

Very Happy Well OK.It is 30 degrees outside,cold! I am determine to get my 67 back on the road after 20 years + sitting.I flip the wires using the picture send by 67 rustavenger.And wow ,the lights are at the same intensity.When I hit the brakes,they're brite and now can be seen! Thx all!! And up date when I have it on the road.Just waiting for my black/yellow plates to get the go ahead.KEEP ON BUGGING! Very Happy
theduck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Bug Lights Reply with quote

Very Happy Yahoo! Just got my new brake lights switches,And they work like a champ.Also figure out the proper connection for the rear running lights.The bulb has 2 filaments,one short ,one long.The short one is for the running lights.The long one is for the brake lights(brighter).So I now have all my lights working as they should be...for now.As stated before I just retired and this car has sat for 20 years +.So I am getting it ready for a daily driver.So now I just hooked up my heater,and hot air is blowing.However I can smell carbon monoxide ! I have a fresh air system.I have both paper gaskets hooked up,the ones that connect to the muffler and the shroud.Anyone know why I get this deadly gas inside my Bug? Shocked Thx,theduck
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Bug Lights Reply with quote

Really? Sorry, but humans cannot actually smell carbon monoxide... you might smell oil burning or other components of the exhaust, but CO itself is odorless. You would need some kind of CO detector to determine if what you are smelling is the silent but deadly version.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: