Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

/New-to-Me Engine, what's missing
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Hello all,

Long time lurker on this site, now a proud owner of a '77 Westfalia. For my first (of many) post, I was wondering if I could get some help identifying what's missing from my engine. I know the dist. cap, rotor and wires are missing, as well as the fan and tubing for the exhaust heat recovery and some type of intake attachment on the throttle-body. Is there anything else obviously not there? Also, I was hoping someone could identify which distributor is in it and any advice for getting it running is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Missing:

Charcoal canister
S boot
Air Filter
Air Flow Meter
Almost all of the vacuum hoses
Is your ECU present? The photos don't show that area (front of passenger's side battery tray)
(sold - but not forgotten)
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Thanks BusBoss, I'm making a list Smile Yes, the ECM is there.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Welcome to TheSamba!

1977 FI Fuel Injection ID Pics
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7224848#7224848

Tcash
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Welcome to TheSamba, Bay Window Bus Forum!

73-79 NEWBIE

Tcash wrote:
Every Type IV engine owner should know this!!!

If you over tighten the Oil Strainer bolt, you will brake the engine case!

There is a Oil strainer in there.
TORQUE THE STRAINER BOLT TO NO MORE THAN 9 FT. LBS.

Tcash wrote:
Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

I am thinking of buying a VW van
Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
Type 2 M-Plate decoder
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for the welcome, pics and tips. I will ready through it all. Is it possible to identify the distributor from the pics? Or will I need to pull it out and look for some identifier? Thanks!
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Your distributor should be stamped. From the Samba Photo Gallery, here is what you need to find... this model is the Bosch 205 T... and you might be able to determine what yours is with a penlight and a mirror... kind of like what this guy did to get this photo. But you may need to pull it to read the number.

Also... check this out:

http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ignition.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Had to pull mine out to get a good look at it. Needs a cleaning anyway Smile It appears to be a 205 P? Anything I should be looking for specifically as far as parts for it?

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

There is a shitload of information and opinions about parts for these on the Samba. Dig in! Laughing

Sometimes, a package deal is a good way to get started in the beginning:

http://www.busdepot.com/87139

As time and experience build, you will likely arrive at your own conclusions about appropriate brands of parts for your bus. For now, clean up the distributor as best you can, and put it back in. The distributor is probably of small concern at this point. Do make a note of its model, take a few more pictures of it and put those pictures in a file folder on your desktop.

Question What is your goal over the next 30 days? Parts inventory, compression check/engine assessment, or what?
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Hmmm, tune-up kit does look like the way to go, thanks for that. now to try and find one north of the border Smile

My plan is to first identify the parts that are missing and collect what I can. Then assemble and see what I have a far as compression and a running engine. If all goes well, move to brakes and inch closer to road worthy.

For the distributor itself, I wasn't sure what to search for in the forum, but 205P seems to be the way to go.

Thanks!
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Hook up the oil pressure sensor wire.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Use Bus Depot for part numbers, if nothing else. They (for the most part) use VW part numbers on their stuff, so it is often helpful in doing research.

Your engine seems to be equipped with an EGR system. I would expect you also have a catalytic converter.

Also, if you need an air filter box with Air Flow Meter, let me know. I have a few. They are specific to application, so you will need to know which one you need. I may or may not have the one you need.
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

This may help with your distributor
http://thegoodvolks.proboards.com/thread/6830/distributor-refresh

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558307&sid=37af77ed356324c462d6743564e0f35d
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

lil-jinx - Thanks for those, I will read them in detail.

WY - Thank you for your offer, that would really help me get things rolling. How do I identify which filter/meter I'll need? I found the engine serial:

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Great question! Best answer is from Bentley:

See Chapter 5 - Engine and Clutch, page 5-87, Table VIII - General Engine Date where it lists Engine Code Letters. From there, we derive the first two letters of your stamping: GD

Exclamation A word of caution: The Type 4 engines were stamped in two places; on the air housing (your picture) and on the case. Hopefully, they match... air housings can be swapped out, leaving you with two different numbers. Always try to find the case number (see photo earlier in this thread indicting where that number is found) Also, equally important is the understanding that the build of your engine may have been modified by previous owners... different stroke, bore, lifters, etc. Shocked

For now, assume you have a stock GD fuel injected engine. (We hope!) Now, with this information, turn to Chapter 10 - Fuel Injection, page 10-17, Figure 4-17 and Table A - Intake Air Sensor Part Numbers. It shows yours to be 022 906 301 D

Bus Depot has them rebuilt:

http://www.busdepot.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=02...sort_order
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

lil-jinx wrote:
This may help with your distributor
http://thegoodvolks.proboards.com/thread/6830/distributor-refresh

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558307&sid=37af77ed356324c462d6743564e0f35d

Excellent threads! Cool
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Ok, I will look at the case again, I haven't found it as of yet.

If it is the same as the air housing, would 022 906 301 D be one of the ones you may have on hand?
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Goach2 wrote:
... would 022 906 301 D be one of the ones you may have on hand?

I do not know. I will try to look today. They are all junk yard finds and are aged.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Edited...

I was not able to wade very far into the parts today, sorry! I found three of them. All seven pin, with air boxes attached to two of them. Problem is, the covers are missing off two of them and they are full of silt. Complete (except missing cover), but obviously just cores. I would not put any of these in operation. They all need total refurbishment.

I found one loose cover with part number 022 906 301 D but cannot determine which one it is from. Might not be from any of them!

The one that has its cover glued in place is without any numbers at all.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: