Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

Observation from the snarky speculation deck:

Dude was probably stopping to take a selfie.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

Laughing Crying or Very sad Embarassed Cool Laughing Crying or Very sad Embarassed Cool Laughing
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

Parking brake story time. 1976 Capri II V6 4 sp. Bridge over interstate, 3am summer of 1980. Jumped out to pee left car idling w brake on n drivers door open. Standing in front of car about 20 feet. Half done notice headlights moving. No time to quit or pack, broke into a dead run. Made it around the door n dove in, yanking the parking brake as i fell onto it. Ribs hurt for a week but otherwise unscathed. Car was worth it - Google this pretty rare car n see if you agree with my 19 year old judgement call...
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

1966...drove from Buffalo to Allegheny State Park with parking brake on. Got to park with no brakes. Drove back with no brakes after a week of debauchery

Judgement of children is horribleness, which is why we have adults
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

Don't think so. His Facebook photo shows him to be a serious landscape photographer.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

Brings to mind the scene from "The Gods Must Be Crazy" where Andrew Steyn is trying to keep his brakeless Land Rover from rolling away while he opens a gate.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Brings to mind the scene from "The Gods Must Be Crazy" where Andrew Steyn is trying to keep his brakeless Land Rover from rolling away while he opens a gate.

Can't turn off the engine either as it was just rebuilt and the compression is too high for the starter to crank it over...

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

Most of Europe is horrified to learn that most Americans don't use their parking brake, due to automatic transmissions ( fail!) and e-brake inop due to non-use.

All my ladies were trained to

Stop car with foot brake.
Apply ebrake
Shift into first ( 5/7 cars) or P ( 2 cars)
Apply hand brake
Release foot brake

The order is important
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Most of Europe is horrified to learn that most Americans don't use their parking brake, due to automatic transmissions ( fail!) and e-brake inop due to non-use.

All my ladies were trained to

Stop car with foot brake.
Apply ebrake
Shift into first ( 5/7 cars) or P ( 2 cars)
Apply hand brake
Release foot brake

The order is important

What is the ebrake vs hand brake?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

I don't detect an emergency. Which one is for parking?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
My question is why didn't he just drive it down? Some bent sheetmetal, luggage got rearranged and his ego got bruised. So, pull the plugs/injectors, crank out the oil/gas in the cylinders, restart and head down hill. Unless there's more to it where it slid somewhere with dangerous exposure below, etc. I see about 10 ropes hanging off it - perhaps these were used to attempt to right it, or if exposure to stabilize it till the helicopter arrived...dunno - details?

The last conjecture was the correct one. It just got steeper below the van and did not let up for a few thousand vertical feet. The extraction crew set those anchors to keep the van from killing them while they prepped the harness for the lift.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
dobryan wrote:

I don't detect an emergency. Which one is for parking?

It comes in handy if you have an emergency whilst parking...
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

Interesting names for the hand-brake! I've only ever heard the terms 'emergency brake' or 'parking brake' in the US - everywhere else I've been it's just 'hand-brake' (or other language translations of that). In the UK (I'm an ex-pat Brit) it's used quite often while driving - sometimes at stop lights and especially for any hill-starts.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

Oh! You mean the 'Stay put!' brake....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

I had a friend who one night on Mulholland drive out in the middle of nowhere (back when there was a nowhere on the road). He stopped to help an old lady whose car broke down and he could not get it going and suggested he push it side to the road.
He started pushing while the lady was looking the other way and the car got away from him and rolled off the road and down a hill.
The lady turned around and said "Where's my car?" Laughing Laughing Laughing

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.

Last edited by Steve M. on Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

OMG. And there are some SERIOUS hills/dropoffs up there. Wow that would suck for both parties - the good samaritan and the driver.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
Interesting names for the hand-brake! I've only ever heard the terms 'emergency brake' or 'parking brake' in the US - everywhere else I've been it's just 'hand-brake' (or other language translations of that). In the UK (I'm an ex-pat Brit) it's used quite often while driving - sometimes at stop lights and especially for any hill-starts.

I suspect that a lot of terms come from the early Ford vehicles with notoriously poor brakes, an engine sitting against the governor, and a bunch of pedals coming up through the floor with mysterious functions. As my father said, when driving a Model T if your speed got out of control you should pushed as many pedals as you could at one time. Low range, brakes, and reverse pedal all did something to slow the car and one wasn't necessarily any better than any other regardless of their name and intended function.

From what I have come to understand, just about any time you needed to apply the brakes on any vehicle with mechanical brakes an emergency existed, hence the term Emergency Brake for your last ditch effort to control your speed before you rammed into the mercantile store at the bottom of the grade.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

"Emergency" refers to brake system failure due to loss of hydraulic pressure. The emergency brake is a mechanically actuated secondary braking system. It can slow the vehicle, and hold it "parked". In contrast to the "Park" on an auto transmission which can ONLY be used after stopped, like a wheel chock.

I know y'all know this Wink but just in case.... some kids the Van is their first vehicle that doesn't have "Park" on the gear selector.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

Certain SAAB models put their emergency/parking brakes on the front wheels, which makes a lot of sense if you're trying to stop the car as quickly as possible in a true emergency. Naturally there are some down sides, but it was way more effective bringing a car down from speed.

I have a habit of using the parking brake once in a while on automatics I've owned just to keep them working. It's a bit of a lost art but I'm happy to see positive comments here about it. About once a year, I'll gently apply them while driving just to knock the dust off the brake shoes. My kids both learned the right way to apply one on a hill in an automatic, which is to come to a stop with the service brakes, apply the parking brake, put it in neutral and let the car "settle" onto the parking brake, then put the car in Park. Now the transmission's parking pawl is not taking the strain and when you leave and pull it out of Park there will not be the bang of taking the strain off things.

Anyhow, good thread.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

Saab be lucky to moving at all.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: