Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wonkey fuel gauge/sender
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Wonkey fuel gauge/sender Reply with quote

82 diesel 1.9 AAZ
Just a quick query as to why my fuel gauge has gone wacky.
A few months ago I replaced the tank and sender and everything was working fine. My old sender was a bit gunked up because I think the PO had fed some sealer into the tank (one of the reasons I replaced it).
The new sender never showed a completely full tank but other than that it seemed fairly accurate.

Yesterday I filled the tank and after starting the engine the gauge rose very slowly - like 10 minutes - and it never went over half full (the tank was as full as it could get). Today, on my first trip into town it never moved from zero, then later on another trip, it went back to the half-way mark but no further.

I should mention that I have had the dash cowling off (including the connector to the crusty foil) and possibly my connection is bad.

Any ideas would be appreciated,

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Wonkey fuel gauge/sender Reply with quote

Until someone with more experience posts, I will add what I read about it. I believe the sender works off of resistance and the higher the resistance, the lower the gauge reads. So if you have a lousy connection somewhere the gauge stays on empty or reads low. I removed the plug from my sender and cleaned it a little bit and put it back and that seemed to help. But it is easy to get to on a syncro. Someone suggested adding a local ground wire to the plug but I didn't want to cut up any wiring so I just cleaned it up and put it back. Could also be the connection at the cluster or in the foil.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Wonkey fuel gauge/sender Reply with quote

Theres a resistor of some sort back behind the gauge and cluster that reduces voltage. Three pronged looking thing. You should be testing this dohicky.

Obviously I know enough to be dangerous. Take my advice w a grain of salt.

Look it up. Its there.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Wonkey fuel gauge/sender Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips.
Started working again so I'm not gonna touch it. The foil is like something you'd find in an Egyptian sarcophagus so until I can afford the available upgrades to that I'll just hold my breath.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Wonkey fuel gauge/sender Reply with quote

My gas gauge has been working fine for the eleven years we've owned the van but recently became intermittent. While heading out to a trailhead last week I happened to be glancing at the gauge when it plunged from halfway to empty. Upon restart after picking up my buddy it worked again but quit again later and has started and stopped a couple of times since. Guess I get to do some troubleshooting.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Wonkey fuel gauge/sender Reply with quote

if replacing the sender and replacing the gauge do not work, that leaves the foil as the culprit

my 85 Westy w over 250k miles.. foil is bad to the temp gauge, it reads very low, all the time. It used to be intermittent, work, no work.. now, always no work

replacing the temp sender, Tstat, and gauge did not work

the shop installed one of their working instrument clusters, and my gauge works with it.. that convinced me its the foil.

My gas gauge still works, if it didn't, I would reset the trip meter at each fill, and refill at 150miles..
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Wonkey fuel gauge/sender Reply with quote

I've had some luck checking out the foil with a magnifying glass and gingerly soldering tiny jumpers to bridge questionable traces.

The folded area where the connector slides over is looking pretty rough though, and I believe this is where the issue may be. With a lot of patience I could re-make this area but it would be a real pain in the neck.
Best bet is to simply replace it with one of the offering from Go Westy or another vendor.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Wonkey fuel gauge/sender Reply with quote

Nothing to do with this part?

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_104_154/voltage-stabilizer-see-description.html

Guessing if your temp gauge is ok then prob not. Just a thought.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Wonkey fuel gauge/sender Reply with quote

Temp gauge is fine but thanks.
It's working for now so I'm not going to mess with it.
Achilles3588
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Wonkey fuel gauge/sender - Syncro Diesel Reply with quote

Gonna resurrect this old thread as I'm having similar issues as the OP had.
'91 Diesel Syncro Doka 1.6JX to 1.9 AFN swap

I replaced the sender at the engine swap. Cleaned out the tank and replaced all the hoses with a kit from Brickwerks; also replaced the sender. Made very sure to put everything oriented the way it came out and checked against various resources to ensure this was being done correctly.

The gauge only goes to about 5/8 when completely full. It zeroes out well before the tank is completely empty, probably 9 or 10 gallons as I'm only able to put 8 or 9 in on filling up when the gauge hits the reserve mark.

- Voltage regulator is good, the temp indicator works perfectly.
- Have a good ground wire at the sender plug
- jumper across the sender wires causes the gauge to peg high (reads above full) so I have to believe the gauge is good.
- Have the rig on jackstands at the moment, with about 1 or 2 gallons remaining in the tank. Resistance across the sender leads = 268.6 ohm. This seems consistent with the Bentley table for VW 1301: seen here.
- There is a ground connection for the sender which grounds out on the exterior of the sender mounting plate. Checked the continuity of this connection point to the sender lead inside the plug on the sender plate. This shows a good connection virtually no resistance.

Any further help is appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Wonkey fuel gauge/sender Reply with quote

i know this is maybe covering ground that you may have already covered bits and pieces of in your testing - but i think it would be worth investing in a cheap decade box from amazon

then sweeping the gauge via the decade box using the wiring down at the tank.

it seems likely your issue is at the gauge, but its a nice double/triple check

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Achilles3588
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Wonkey fuel gauge/sender Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
i know this is maybe covering ground that you may have already covered bits and pieces of in your testing - but i think it would be worth investing in a cheap decade box from amazon

then sweeping the gauge via the decade box using the wiring down at the tank.

it seems likely your issue is at the gauge, but its a nice double/triple check

Had a feeling the work would take me here. So, there is no way to adjust the sender's resistance. It's either giving appropriate resistance for the fill level or it is not. If no, replace. If yes, as is suggested, it's at the gauge. Since it is a new sender I tend to agree.

I happen to have another gauge that I could swap in (not known if good, but unlikely both gauges are bad). A bit easier to do that than to swap in a new sender but it is a Syncro, it is not huge now that all the rear suspension components are out. If the same result as reported earlier, then yes perhaps double check the sender output via the decade box.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Wonkey fuel gauge/sender Reply with quote

if i read right though you confirmed the sender resistance its current reading, which matches, and checked the gauge pegging when it was shorted - id say theres worthwhile testing to be done with the decade box still.
i may have misread though! if you already did the intermediate positions/levels with the new sender before installing.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
WiboBusMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Wonkey fuel gauge/sender Reply with quote

I had this with my '84 westy... Just to be clear, my gauge was mostly reading low, and not reliably so, jumping around at times.
Did the fuel tank pull, sender replace, wiring check from the t14 connector to the sender...
Turned out to be very slight oxidation at the gauge connection (the small brass nuts securing the gauge to the display plate).
In case you don't know, the foil circuit is very delicate, so extra care is in order.
Disassemble, clean the foil connection points with a pencil eraser, clean the contact surface of the brass nuts similarly, and if you are lucky, reassemble and voilà, no more wonkyness...
W
Achilles3588
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Wonkey fuel gauge/sender Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
if i read right though you confirmed the sender resistance its current reading, which matches, and checked the gauge pegging when it was shorted - id say theres worthwhile testing to be done with the decade box still.
i may have misread though! if you already did the intermediate positions/levels with the new sender before installing.

Yes 1~2 gallons in the tank, sender resistance 268 ohms seems to be consistent with a reading just above empty per the chart although the Fuel Gauges descriptions are a bit confusing. And also yes I shorted the wires feeding the sender which pegged the gauge high beyond full. That also seems to make sense since the sender FULL resistance is a non-zero (34~39 ohm) so near zero should take the gauge over full.

But I've never did the intermediate positions/levels either outside or inside the tank. I'm not smart enough to have done that.
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Wonkey fuel gauge/sender Reply with quote

Hi all, my gauge was working fine until I took my new-to-me syncro doka for some mudding, then it stopped. It's pegged over full, so from this helpful thread I think the ground must be bad for the sender?

Thoughts on whether its better to trace the ground wire and fix that at the chassis (or replace ground wire), or if I can just tap the brown ground wire at the sender in the wheel well and do a new ground and call it good?

I want to fix properly but one is way easier/faster than the other...
Achilles3588
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Wonkey fuel gauge/sender Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:
Hi all, my gauge was working fine until I took my new-to-me syncro doka for some mudding, then it stopped. It's pegged over full, so from this helpful thread I think the ground must be bad for the sender?

Thoughts on whether its better to trace the ground wire and fix that at the chassis (or replace ground wire), or if I can just tap the brown ground wire at the sender in the wheel well and do a new ground and call it good?

I just got thru troubleshooting my sender. Started by shorting across the terrain so in the connector to confirm the gauge was working properly, it should peg out. If that fails, test the power (purple black) by jumping it to a known good ground, they key ON. That at least tells you if the 10V signal from the dash is sound.

You can check the ground (brown) by doing a continuity test with an ohmmeter. If the ground fails - then you’ll need to either trace that wire back to where it grounds out on the frame (not so easy even in a Doka) or else splice it to a new ground.location. Assuming both power side and ground sie are sound, and you still peg out high with key ON. you may need to pull the sender. It’s not terrible with the wheel off. With the sender pulled you can test both empty and full by moving the float to the stop positions in turn, and then have someone turn the key ON. Check to make sure you are getting good contact at the variable resistor at the base of the float arm.

On mine, the ground of the terminal connector on the outside of the sender flange had broken free, and I wasn’t getting a solid ground. I tried both hot and cold soldering, but couldn’t restore a good connection and ended up getting a new sender (an OEM VW one).

Good luck.
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Wonkey fuel gauge/sender Reply with quote

Achilles3588 wrote:
tarandusVDub wrote:

I just got thru troubleshooting my sender. Started by shorting across the terrain so in the connector to confirm the gauge was working properly, it should peg out. If that fails, test the power (purple black) by jumping it to a known good ground, they key ON. That at least tells you if the 10V signal from the dash is sound.

You can check the ground (brown) by doing a continuity test with an ohmmeter. If the ground fails - then you’ll need to either trace that wire back to where it grounds out on the frame (not so easy even in a Doka) or else splice it to a new ground.location. Assuming both power side and ground sie are sound, and you still peg out high with key ON. you may need to pull the sender. It’s not terrible with the wheel off. With the sender pulled you can test both empty and full by moving the float to the stop positions in turn, and then have someone turn the key ON. Check to make sure you are getting good contact at the variable resistor at the base of the float arm.

On mine, the ground of the terminal connector on the outside of the sender flange had broken free, and I wasn’t getting a solid ground. I tried both hot and cold soldering, but couldn’t restore a good connection and ended up getting a new sender (an OEM VW one).

Good luck.

Thanks a bunch! Will try this tomorrow and see what's what. Hopefully just a new ground will be needed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: