Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First Syncro Common Rail CJAA 2.0 TDi Conversion
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AidanLK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: First Syncro Common Rail CJAA 2.0 TDi Conversion Reply with quote

Alright guys,

It's been almost exactly a year since Otis, my westy hightop syncro broke down and I moved into the GoWesty parking lot, last fall. After talking to a lot of people and hearing nothing but good things about the common rail engine, I find myself out in Nashville, Tennessee, hanging out with SyncroGreg of boxeer.com (the guy behind the infamous Subaru Diesel build).

Moving on from the Pumpe Duse was a tough call as I had already dumped a good amount of money into it, but the jump in technology, reliability and power between the PD and the CR is significant. Plus.. my old engine was a 2004 from a junkyard with a modest 150k on it, and it had a nasty tenancy to destroy turbos. The engine Greg has supplied, on the other hand, is a 2014 with only 500 miles on its clock. Yep, fresh. Plus, after meeting Greg and his wife Katie for the first time down in Ecuador while we were both on our respective North to South American overlanding adventures, the two of us have always talked about working together on a build.

It should be noted that when we met, I was living in apartment in Ecuador because my engine (which I installed) had blown, while Greg's engine (which he installed) ran flawlessly his whole trip, down to the bottom of South America and back. And while true, that was the Subaru diesel and not the VW Common Rail, it made it clear to me that Greg knows his stuff, and knows what a trip like that would take.

So I shipped Otis (my van) over to Greg’s shop / 100 acre-syncro-playground just outside of Nashville and over the last few days we’ve dressed the engine with a brand new wiring harness (by Greg), new turbo, new clutch, sensors, etc. The way he has it, it’s actually pretty minimal when it comes to electronics, making it seem like a cool halfstep between an etdi and an mtdi, but with a commonrail fuel delivery system.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

He also has it setup so that the user can switch between customizable power modes at the dash, ranging anywhere from 100hp on the low end and 240hp on the high end. SO, if I’m stuck in the sand or in the mud and my wheels are just spinning, I’ll be able to pop it into a higher power mode to help get out.

The CR block has the same mounting positions as the PD, so we’ll be reusing my old (15 degree) PD mounts, making the install that much easier.

Loking forward to seeing this bad boy sitting in Otis! And even more so, feeling it. It’s been a year now since the last turbo blew and I decided to stop fighting that ridiculous battle, and I’m more than ready to get back out there.

I’ll be posting updates over the next few weeks as we continue to make progress on this.

First Vanagon with the new 2.0 Common Rail TDi, baby! Wahoooooooooooooooooo.

Last edited by AidanLK on Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:33 am; edited 2 times in total
pedrokrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Otis the Syncro's PD BEW 1.9 to Common Rail CJAA 2.0 Conversion Reply with quote

Quote:
First Vanagon with the new 2.0 Common Rail TDi, baby! Wahoooooooooooooooooo.

Wow! Just wow!
Can't wait to see it rolling on its own!
1989 vanagon Karmann Gipsy #652, TDI AFN
1991 vanagon westfalia conversion TDI ALH Silverfox
ex-1989 vanagon syncro passenger Syncrofox (Sold)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598791&highlight=
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493964&highlight=speed+aap+trans
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=496589&highlight=carrier+bars
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=506025
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Otis the Syncro's PD BEW 1.9 to Common Rail CJAA 2.0 Conversion Reply with quote

NICE!

Can't wait to see where this goes.
deutschewerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Otis the Syncro's PD BEW 1.9 to Common Rail CJAA 2.0 Conversion Reply with quote

Few questions-

Adapter plate? Still the same Kennedy style as what you had before?

DPF? As much as they contribute to emissions reduction, they are also the Achilles heel of this engine. They crack internally allowing soot to bypass into the EGR filter and cooler, causing the most common ECU fault, EGR Flow insufficient.

I'm assuming that if you do a DPF delete, the tune you are suing will also get rid of the exhaust flap.

What are you doing about the immobilizer? This engine used a rolling code setup, not exactly the nicest thing to play with. Retaining the reader coil, cluster, key, and push button start if the donor had it?

Retaining the fuel lift pump?

Other common annoyances: Sometimes the exhaust pressure and temp sensors fail. Then there are intake flap issues. Most of the time, the stop in the motor wears out and allows the arm to go further than it is supposed to. Dieselgeek makes a nice little repair piece for it, but I have seen where that didn't solve the issue completely.

Other than that, the CR is a great engine and I lament the whole death of VW diesel due to everything that surrounded them. My fiance has a 2011 Golf TDI and we love it. Hers has been fairly problem free.

The PD is probably my least favorite TDI. I have a VE TDI but work on PDs often. The ones that develop severe issues are pretty difficult to get to 100% again. Why VW didn't just naturally evolve from the VE to CR TDis is beyond me.

You should go all in and flip a 7spd Audi DSG box behind that thing!
2000 Golf GL Race car
1993 Eurovan GL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Otis the Syncro's PD BEW 1.9 to Common Rail CJAA 2.0 Conversion Reply with quote

A beefier gearbox may be indicated...
AidanLK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Otis the Syncro's Common Rail CJAA 2.0 TDi Conversion Reply with quote

Time to put er in!

jamin307
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Otis the Syncro's Common Rail CJAA 2.0 TDi Conversion Reply with quote

Oh man, that's a beautiful thing. Can't wait to see Otis on the move again.
AidanLK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: First Syncro Common Rail CJAA 2.0 TDi Conversion Reply with quote

Engine's in using my old 1.9 mounts! Now time for some plumbing...

the_last1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: First Syncro Common Rail CJAA 2.0 TDi Conversion Reply with quote

GOOD LORD!

This is what my syncro doka needs! $16.5k for the kit is a little steep. Plus the tranny regearing. Can't wait to see how it looks in the engine bay. I noticed some of the photos have the intercooler setup in the rear. did you find a solution for its placement?
AidanLK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: First Syncro Common Rail CJAA 2.0 TDi Conversion Reply with quote

the_last1 wrote:
GOOD LORD!

This is what my syncro doka needs! $16.5k for the kit is a little steep. Plus the tranny regearing. Can't wait to see how it looks in the engine bay. I noticed some of the photos have the intercooler setup in the rear. did you find a solution for its placement?

It's a chunk of money forsure, but you're getting what you pay for with Greg. I've (unfortunately) been in and out of a handful of shops and have had experience with a number of conversions and I can honestly say this one is next level. Plus, compared to other plug and play gas kits out there, that price is pretty competitive, and its a TDi, which we all know is WAY cooler. Cool

As for the intercooler, here's a more recent shot with it in place! Starting this badboy up for the first time in the van TODAY!

the_last1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: First Syncro Common Rail CJAA 2.0 TDi Conversion Reply with quote

SOOO!

How did the fire up start? very curious about this kit! keep posting vids and photos!
AidanLK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: First Syncro Common Rail CJAA 2.0 TDi Conversion Reply with quote

the_last1 wrote:
SOOO!

How did the fire up start? very curious about this kit! keep posting vids and photos!

Started up great! Such a nice sounding engine... Full build video coming soon.

With winter here and time on our hands, I decided to pull the trans and do some regearing and 'beefing up' using GT Gears' new stuff (3rd, 4th, slider hub) and new German R&P and main shaft--so things are on hold for a little while.

Greg is also adding in a trans temp sensor wired into the ECU that will trigger a slight cut in power when oil temps get too high, cooling things down and keeping the trans happy.

We'll be back at it soon though and I'll be posting updates as they occur.

SO CLOSE!

Here's a pic from the night I spent outside the shop, before pulling the trans Wink

AidanLK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: First Syncro Common Rail CJAA 2.0 TDi Conversion Reply with quote

Oh, also, Greg updated his site with some more info on the engine/kit for anyone who's interested: www.boxeer.com
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: First Syncro Common Rail CJAA 2.0 TDi Conversion Reply with quote

What about the clutch?! Wink Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AidanLK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: First Syncro Common Rail CJAA 2.0 TDi Conversion Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
What about the clutch?! Wink Shocked

Karl! I went with the Kennedy Stage II pressure plate and stock vanagon 228mm disc. You were right about my flywheel depth so I'm sticking with the one I have as I wasn't able to get a clear answer from anyone about the depth of the VR6 flywheel depth. Mine should be A-Ok after having it resurfaced.

Thanks for helping me sort it all out Smile
the_last1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: First Syncro Common Rail CJAA 2.0 TDi Conversion Reply with quote

So has anyone Purchased the vanagon kit?! I'm curious to see how easy it is to do on your own. Haven't seen the installation instructions. I'm also curious how it works with so many different transmission ratios out there. I keep seeing it and am so tempted, but the lack of info and customer reviews is maddening. I know there are others out there that have done it!
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: First Syncro Common Rail CJAA 2.0 TDi Conversion Reply with quote

Seeing what Greg accomplished with his Subaru diesel and roadtrip I can only anticipate 1st class results.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: First Syncro Common Rail CJAA 2.0 TDi Conversion Reply with quote

Any updates?

Very Happy
AidanLK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: First Syncro Common Rail CJAA 2.0 TDi Conversion Reply with quote

erste wrote:
Any updates?

Very Happy

I had a photo job dropped in my lap that I couldn’t pass up... heading back in a few weeks!

Last edited by AidanLK on Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: First Syncro Common Rail CJAA 2.0 TDi Conversion Reply with quote

Can I just say this is a dream build lol?

Oh... syncros... how I dream to never have the chance to buy one because I'd be forever poor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: