Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rubber protectorant - is this for real?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Rubber protectorant - is this for real? Reply with quote

A friend of mine sent me this link - something called 303 aerospace protectorant used on tires that have over 100k mile on them and still look new.

Link

Is this shit for real?? Shocked

Would be great for window seals and tires of course.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Rubber protectorant - is this for real? Reply with quote

Remember Slick 50 engine treatment? They settled a suit with the FTC because their product could, according to the FTC, actually harm engines by blocking oil passages.

Let other people try this stuff on their tires.

'73 Saturn Yellow Sports Bug that has undergone a full pan off restoration. "Herbert IV."

'67 Sedan. "Bellamy." Currently being "refreshed" and recently repainted.
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rubber protectorant - is this for real? Reply with quote

I've used it for years on interior and tires and have been happy with it. I can't say about the 100k claim because my tires have never gone that far lol. I much prefer it to the other products on the market.
I don't spray the tread, just the sidewalls , leaves a nice low level sheen. I don't like slick finishes.

Last edited by TX-73 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Rubber protectorant - is this for real? Reply with quote

I use Aerospace 303. It does NOT last 100k miles - but it is a good protectant that isn't slimy or off-gas everywhere.
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Rubber protectorant - is this for real? Reply with quote

Ok , I had to take a look. My first impression? BS that tire has 100K on it. Believe it might keep the sidewalls in good shape but isn’t going to stop a tire from wearing which seems what he is saying.

Could be good stuff. Just not going to stop a tire from wearing
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Rubber protectorant - is this for real? Reply with quote

Yeah, have used product this for years, mainly on fiberglass stuff (boats, etc.) -- it is a pretty good protectant overall. I like it better than silicone-based products (e.g. "Armor All", and similar).

It will darken old grey / cracked rubber of tire sidewalls -- makes them look nicer / newer, if nothing else. As to if actually extends the life of the rubber, doubt it has much effect if the rubber is pretty old and far gone to begin with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rubber protectorant - is this for real? Reply with quote

Good to know it's legit for the smaller stuff. A buddy of mine is buying a gallon of it and is all-in on testing the tire claims. For less the 40 bucks a gallon, probably worth a shot.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rubber protectorant - is this for real? Reply with quote

Victor, I use this product on my cars for the window rubber. From my research, this has proved to be far superior to Armor All. But the directions say to spray it on and immediately wipe dry.

As far as making the tires last forever, that claim is ridiculous. Aerospace 303 is a superior UV protectant, but I don't see how the wear from the friction and heat of driving the tires on the road can be reduced by this product. The tire may not crack or show sun damage on the sidewalls, but extending the life of the tread is quite another matter.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: