Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

heater boxes and engine tin identified?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: heater boxes and engine tin identified? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is this engine stuff from a 1948 maybe?? Can people help?
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: heater boxes and engine tin identified? Reply with quote

The cylinder covers look like they could be. Don't know about the shoe boxes but I do know that the heater boxes are definitely not. They are early 50's boxes.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: heater boxes and engine tin identified? Reply with quote

Ok, I just put these heater show boxes next to my set of 1949 to 1950 double flap shoe boxes. These are exactly the same in every way, every stamping, the screw holes ect except that these are single flap. So what does that make them? 1951 to 53 maybe?

vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: heater boxes and engine tin identified? Reply with quote

The heater boxes I have no idea. I just don't know these parts at all? Here is some more pics. apart, but front and back and inside

56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: heater boxes and engine tin identified? Reply with quote

vintage fiberglass wrote:
The heater boxes I have no idea. I just don't know these parts at all? Here is some more pics. apart, but front and back and inside

Hi,
from what I read were these shoe boxes used after the late double-flap boxes. They still have the x-plate support.

I'm pretty sure, that the heater boxes are from an industrial engine. They used the hot air to heat up the water pump on these engines. My 52 and Jan. 55 engine, both industrial engines, came with these heater boxes.That's the reason I'm always buying disassembled heater boxes, cause I only need the one part Very Happy
Also thought about modifying them for the bug.

Regards,
Jan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bengt H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: heater boxes and engine tin identified? Reply with quote

On a -48 I think that the shoebox should have a piano hinge and a flap in the round heater outlet.
The tin over the heads are very early, since there are no numbers on them.
dziambel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: heater boxes and engine tin identified? Reply with quote

I think I saw them somewhere Wink
Hofmann H25
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: heater boxes and engine tin identified? Reply with quote

The lower tins are April 6, 51 to '52-ish, no one knows for sure when the X plate flange was dropped. The single flap design started in April 6, 1951.

As for the heaterboxes, the back halves in the pics are the earliest style, with the "L" bracket at the top J pipe exit external to the box, not internal. As for the front half, I see one in the pics but it has some kind of bizzare outlet at the bottom?? Doesn't look like VW. The earliest (April '51 and on ) version of that box should have an internal pivot post for the lever inside and not the external "test tube" protruding. I think I can see the test tube in the pic of the strange front half.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: heater boxes and engine tin identified? Reply with quote

Hi,

see pictures of some 55 industrial engines and my engine, they all have the same heater boxes.

Regards,
Jan

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: heater boxes and engine tin identified? Reply with quote

That seems to confirm it then. industrial engine heater boxes for the VW powered water pumps.

johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: heater boxes and engine tin identified? Reply with quote

Well that explains it then!!

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: heater boxes and engine tin identified? Reply with quote

Not sure what we can do with these halves. They're oftentimes like new, but unfortunately modified. At least, they're good enough too repair a rusty one from a car Smile
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: heater boxes and engine tin identified? Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. So the heater "shoe" boxes are correct at least. The front halves of the heater boxes are early? someone can use them maybe?? and the engine tin is earlier? Ok. The older engine tin and heater parts are hard for me to learn but I am slowly catching on. Thanks! Tim
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: heater boxes and engine tin identified? Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. So the heater "shoe" boxes are correct at least. The front halves of the heater boxes are early? someone can use them maybe?? and the engine tin is earlier? Ok. The older engine tin and heater parts are hard for me to learn but I am slowly catching on. Thanks! Tim

Tim, I always thought you're an expert for this old metal Very Happy
Always a shame to see these early parts being modified for industrial purpose, like all these poor single tip mufflers and breastplates etc.
Last week, I finally received my early 54 industrial engine. Interesting how many 25hp parts they used back in 54. I thought it comes with early shoe boxes that I can use, but it turned out, they're for industrial engines only. They're the early version with the 3 screw holes, but missing the big hole to install the heater boxes. Maybe I'll modify them Laughing
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: heater boxes and engine tin identified? Reply with quote

The cylinder tin went to the one piece design in early '51 I believe.
The shoeboxes are the latest style used for the 25hp that still had the flanges for the X plate.

The rear of the heater boxes, the part with the exhaust J tubes started in April '51. I belive that half of the heaterbox went unchanged until '59 (edit, around '55 they went to sheet metal screws so the holes would be smaller) but in your case they are most likely '51-52 parts. The front half appears to be the same stamping as the sedan heater boxes. Instead of stamping the hole for the top snout for the heater outlet, they have just had a hole punched at the bottom for the snout that directs heat to the water pump.

They would be useful to anyone restoring one of those pumps so I would try to sell them as such.

Last edited by splitjunkie on Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:49 am; edited 3 times in total
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: heater boxes and engine tin identified? Reply with quote

Also your cylinder tins have been modified. They originally looked like this.

You originally had to remove the heads and cylinders just to remove the tins. Cutting the tins like yours was a pretty common mod so you could pull the tin without pulling everything else.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: