Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine shroud heater outlet dump
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spat12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Engine shroud heater outlet dump Reply with quote

I’m sure this topic has been beaten to death, but quite frankly wasn’t able to find anything using search (maybe I’m not wording it correctly)

My 1970 std will not have heat in it, but would prefer not to modify the German tin to block off the outlets, and thing shrouds are hard to come by these days for a decent price. Also, there will be j tubes, not factory exhaust.

Are there any issues with just attaching hoses to the outlets and dumping the air out the rear? If this has been covered before, I’m sorry.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Engine shroud heater outlet dump Reply with quote

You would be better off blocking the outlets on the fan shroud with 1-7/8" freeze plugs which fit internally, then do the hose, that way all the air goes to cooling the engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Engine shroud heater outlet dump Reply with quote

spat12 wrote:
and thing shrouds are hard to come by these days for a decent price.

Is $200 a decent price?

I'm not endorsing, just letting you know they exist.
http://usstore.concept1.ca/Fan-Shroud-W-OHeat-W-Holes-COOLED.1.2-62217/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Engine shroud heater outlet dump Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
You would be better off blocking the outlets on the fan shroud with 1-7/8" freeze plugs which fit internally, then do the hose, that way all the air goes to cooling the engine.

Actually, there is some debate about this. Blocking off the outlets supposedly causes some nasty turbulence inside the fan shroud, which can even reduce cooling efficiency. I think Jack Raby did some testing on this and found that if you want to block off the outlets for aesthetic reasons, then you need to cut some 1-7/8" holes on the opposite side of the shroud to let the unwanted pressure out so the fan can cool the engine properly.

In that case, you might be better off doing like you planned with the original hoses. I see no downside.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Engine shroud heater outlet dump Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:
busman78 wrote:

Actually, there is some debate about this. Blocking off the outlets supposedly causes some nasty turbulence inside the fan shroud, which can even reduce cooling efficiency. I think Jack Raby did some testing on this and found that if you want to block off the outlets for aesthetic reasons, then you need to cut some 1-7/8" holes on the opposite side of the shroud to let the unwanted pressure out so the fan can cool the engine properly.

In that case, you might be better off doing like you planned with the original hoses. I see no downside.

I don't get that. On stock cars the outlets are blocked off most of the time anyway -- unless you're using the heater. The flaps that block off the outlet just happen to be a bit further downstream.

Byas
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Engine shroud heater outlet dump Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
Floating VW wrote:
busman78 wrote:

I don't get that. On stock cars the outlets are blocked off most of the time anyway -- unless you're using the heater. The flaps that block off the outlet just happen to be a bit further downstream.

Byas

No, the air flows even when heat is off, when heat is off, the heated air is dumped out of the heater box near the front. thus air always flows thru the flexible tubes when fan is turning.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Engine shroud heater outlet dump Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

I do not recommend type 4 oil coolers on type 1 engines. You can no longer use flaps and there's not much of a cooling advantage.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwkirb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine shroud heater outlet dump Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:
busman78 wrote:

Forgot what the measurement is, but its not 1 7/8" you need a smaller hole to "fake" the resistance of a heater box.

I drilled the proper size hole into a freeze pug and hooked the hoses up like stock, and they dump to where the exhaust is.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine shroud heater outlet dump Reply with quote

1-7/8" plugs the outlet, no screws required, steel or brass, I have never drilled a dump hole, just plugged the outlets.

Here is a picture of a pair I just removed from a fan housing, engine will be getting HE's so it will have quasi heat.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine shroud heater outlet dump Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

No, the air flows even when heat is off, when heat is off, the heated air is dumped out of the heater box near the front. thus air always flows thru the flexible tubes when fan is turning.

Yep, it goes out here when the heat is off:

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine shroud heater outlet dump Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
1-7/8" plugs the outlet, no screws required, steel or brass, I have never drilled a dump hole, just plugged the outlets.

Here is a picture of a pair I just removed from a fan housing, engine will be getting HE's so it will have quasi heat.

This is what I've used for years with no issues. That internet myth about drilling dime-sized holes in the middle of these plugs (to simulate heat box dribble) is bunk. If you're not using heater boxes, then plug the shroud snorkles completely.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Kauai/5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine shroud heater outlet dump Reply with quote

If you’re looking for a quick, cheap, clean way to cap off the outlets on the doghouse just use standard black ABS caps found at any hardware store with plumbing supplies. On my doghouse (late DP 1600) they were a perfect interference fit requiring just a tap or two of a rubber mallet.

On my doghouse 1.5” ABS caps were the right fit. I don’t know if they were the same diameter outlet for all years.

Last edited by Kauai/5 on Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: Engine shroud heater outlet dump Reply with quote

Baby food jar lids.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Engine shroud heater outlet dump Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
spat12 wrote:
and thing shrouds are hard to come by these days for a decent price.

Is $200 a decent price?

Reading description it’s unclear if the model w/o heater ducts has options for the thermostat. I could read it both ways.
Anyone have specific experience?
Edit: emailed supplier and I’ll reportback.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Engine shroud heater outlet dump Reply with quote

Mikedrevguy wrote:
Reading description it’s unclear if the model w/o heater ducts has options for the thermostat. I could read it both ways.
Anyone have specific experience?
Edit: emailed supplier and I’ll reportback.

The description states about halfway through, "These shrouds are compatible with factory thermostat, a first for an aftermarket shroud."

Additionally, the picture of the non-heat shroud shown has holes for installing thermostat flaps.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: