Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.0 ABA Swap
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

h00drat wrote:
vwfreek61 wrote:
If you use Digifant 1 from an automatic Corrado with throttle position sensor, the throttle body electrical connector is the same as an OBD1 ABA throttle body. Just another option.

Edit: There isn't much info on the web for California Digifant 1, but it looks like that also uses a throttle position sensor instead of the idle/full throttle switches. So you may be able to use that with an OBD1 ABA throttle body. Grab the intake manifold too, because it uses an idle control valve like Digifant also.

Interesting. I think you're right in that the California Digifant 1 system from the Fox run TPS, as does the ABA throttle body. So IF I choose to run the digifant 1 system, which I already have, it should potentially wire up directly to the ABA throttle body, unless I'm missing something.

Digifant 2 on the other hand runs the WOT sensor which based on my research would be much more difficult to swap with the ABA throttle body.

Options I'm considering right now are...

1. Cali Digifant 1 ecu and wiring, which I have, w/ either the ABA or the digifant throttle body, with an adapter.
2. Digifant 2 ECU and wiring, which I don't have, with a digifant 2 throttle body, with an adapter the ABA intake, which I also don't have.

Good info also, Bicycle019.

This website has some useful info. Heres a bit on the digi 1 California throttle potentiometer:

http://vwts.ru/vw_doc/eva2/FU01/ch8.5.2.html

It looks like the connector for that pot only has two contacts. In the A2 resource pinouts, I see two wires for "throttle potentiometer" for Digi 1 CA and G60. So, I'd suggest its a simple variable resistor.

The ABA OBD1 Motronic TPS connector that connects to the ECU, has 3 wires. (OBD2 may as well). Depending on which pins the VOM is connected to, the A3 Bentley shows resistance values for throttle closed and an increase or decrease in resistance value when opening the throttle. So to me it seems it doesn't behave like a simple potentiometer, for lack of better term. The ECU obviously requires a range of values for acceleration and deceleration.

IF this is what's being suggested, I have my doubts that the ABA TB TPS can properly interface with any flavour of Digifant.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Turbod16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

Hoodrat

If i were in your shoes I would be looking for a Manual 93-95 jetta golf or passat 2.0 with out the egr system in a junk yard. pull the engine harness the fuse block.
Ive had 90-92 mk2 GTI's with aba swapped in, running the stock digifart and a "custom"chip.
they never feel as right or as smooth as the factory programming using the ecu/system designed for that motor.

I've done this a few times, i just carefully remove engine harness back to fuse box then start unplugging everything at fuse box and singling out the few pigtails i actually need (fuel pump ect )and cutting or pulling as much as I can out before cutting.

takes me less than an hour anymore to gut/cut and have a system ready for install.

allows you to make a separate fuse block which can be powered on by stock key and disabled for anti theft, allows for separate/addition relay systems to be installed to power anything! you can make a separate switched lighting system!
dyno tune it - its easier to get a chip burnt to.

its a very easy process! when your all done you'll have this beautiful power block full of potential! Laughing

I actually prefer the obd2 just because of the diagnostics functions are much more advanced.

check out this link. it cant get any easier for a junkyard set up!

oh unfortunately it is a old link and the photobucket fiasco killed the valuable pics!!

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4773933-...nfo-thread
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

It looks like the connector for that pot only has two contacts. In the A2 resource pinouts, I see two wires for "throttle potentiometer" for Digi 1 CA and G60. So, I'd suggest its a simple variable resistor.

The ABA OBD1 Motronic TPS connector that connects to the ECU, has 3 wires.

Interesting. I am only seeing two wires on the ABA pinout from the A3 website which is why I suggested this. I must be missing one. I have both throttle bodies at the shop, so I'll compare them tonight.
Engine Conversion Thread (2.0 ABA Swap)
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Auto Trans Rebuild - Image Gallery
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

Turbod16v wrote:
Hoodrat

If i were in your shoes I would be looking for a Manual 93-95 jetta golf or passat 2.0 with out the egr system in a junk yard. pull the engine harness the fuse block.
Ive had 90-92 mk2 GTI's with aba swapped in, running the stock digifart and a "custom"chip.
they never feel as right or as smooth as the factory programming using the ecu/system designed for that motor.

I've done this a few times, i just carefully remove engine harness back to fuse box then start unplugging everything at fuse box and singling out the few pigtails i actually need (fuel pump ect )and cutting or pulling as much as I can out before cutting.

takes me less than an hour anymore to gut/cut and have a system ready for install.

My moto is from a 95 Jetta, automatic (my van is an auto also). So close to what you are suggesting. It came with a Fox parts car which I thought would have Digifant 2, but ended up having digifant 1.

I removed the Fox harness exactly how you are suggesting. It was pretty easy.

Unfortunately I live in a small town where junk yards are few and far between. This car sort of fell into my lap just a short drive away. I'm only really reconsidering the ECU options because it's DF1. I might as well use this motor, but the ECU options are still up in the air I guess. Nothing set in stone.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

Okay, I'm putting a stake in the ground.

In order to honor my budget, I'm going to see how far I can get with the Digi1 system. But for now, I'm going to shift my attention back to the motor. I'll revisit wiring when I get there.

Thanks x1,000 for all the input.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

h00drat wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

The ABA OBD1 Motronic TPS connector that connects to the ECU, has 3 wires.

Interesting. I am only seeing two wires on the ABA pinout from the A3 website which is why I suggested this. I must be missing one. I have both throttle bodies at the shop, so I'll compare them tonight.

Sorry. Looked again at A2. I could be partly wrong. I see what you mean; Digi 1 CA TP shows 2 wires to ECU as does the ABA TPS under OBD1.

The third contact on the ABA TPS is ground.

I haven't found a Digi 1 CA diagram yet so i can't see how the throttle potentiometer wires up. That part could ground through the TB metal or just operates differently.

Good luck with your choices. Please keep us posted.

Neil.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
vwfreek61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

h00drat wrote:

In order to honor my budget, I'm going to see how far I can get with the Digi1 system. But for now, I'm going to shift my attention back to the motor. I'll revisit wiring when I get there.

Since you've already got it, you might as well try it.

On my ABA swap, I did the opposite of what you're trying to do. I wanted to run OBD2 Motronic on a counter-flow head for better decklid clearance. I ended up importing a european head and intake manifold that accepts the ABA throttle body.
1987 Vanagon Westy w/Subaru EJ25 and reversed 4EAT
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

vwfreek61 wrote:
h00drat wrote:

Since you've already got it, you might as well try it.

On my ABA swap, I did the opposite of what you're trying to do. I wanted to run OBD2 Motronic on a counter-flow head for better decklid clearance. I ended up importing a european head and intake manifold that accepts the ABA throttle body.

Nice!

Yeah, exactly. I already have it. And once I have this under my belt, I'm sure upgrading in the future will be nothing. Ha!
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

Sorry. Looked again at A2. I could be partly wrong. I see what you mean; Digi 1 CA TP shows 2 wires to ECU as does the ABA TPS under OBD1.

The third contact on the ABA TPS is ground.

I haven't found a Digi 1 CA diagram yet

so on rockauto.com, the part number i got for a '91 Fox "TPS" is 044907385A. Image example below. I found a relevant diagram for a '93 Fox "California" ECU etc but see minor differences. (I'm happy to post it with that caveat in place). It shows 3 wires to the TP. A brown/white wire is shown to a buss connector of some kind which also connects to - of hall on distributor so I assume that "buss connector" is a ground point.

Neil.

edit: rockauto also shows the connector and wires for that part. They or other vendors may have other connectors if you need them for your harness?

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

I'll take some pictures tonight of all the stuff I have.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

Changing to subject on you all....

Assuming I can use the Fox header, and make my own down pipe, what would you all suggest for cat and muffler? ... or resonator and muffler? I like what I've seen on a few builds, but very few specs have been shared.

I believe the exhaust system on the Fox is 2.5 SS. So I may see what I can scavenge from it. Otherwise, I'll see what I can find elsewhere.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
vwfreek61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

I made my own. The downpipe is 1.75" with about 31" long primaries. The exhaust is 2.25" with a 9" resonator and Ford F150 muffler. For the mandrel bends on the downpipe, I ordered a weld-your-own V8 header kit from Summit for $79...cheaper than buying all the bends separate.

h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay in posting. Busy holiday weekend. Hope everybody had a nice Thanksgiving.

Not much to update except that I ordered a ton of crap this weekend for the engine. Techtonics was even having a Black Friday sale, which saved me some $$$.

Here are the updates I do have.

1. Two TPS systems side by side. I'm still struggling to see how these are any different, or why I would need to run one throttle body over the other. Image below.

2. Fox header fits and clears the diesel engine mount. It's a tight fit, but it fits. I will try to use it with a similar setup to VWFreak above. Custom downpipe / bends / etc. I'll build a heat shield to protect my motor mount from the heat.

ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

What are you doing about the Ox sensor?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
What are you doing about the Ox sensor?

Good question. I assumed I could install one further down the exhaust line, like closer to the resonator like VW originally ran it.

Would the Fox have originally ran it right in the header? I was just planning on plugging those bung holes.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

Yeah, you can weld in a bung further downstream, but it's kinda tricky if you're running two pipes as a downpipe. I assume you get a purer "sniff" in the manifold, but then again the WBX runs the sensor all the way downstream near/in the Cat. Post a link when you locate plugs for that those manifold bungs.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Yeah, you can weld in a bung further downstream, but it's kinda tricky if you're running two pipes as a downpipe. I assume you get a purer "sniff" in the manifold, but then again the WBX runs the sensor all the way downstream near/in the Cat. Post a link when you locate plugs for that those manifold bungs.

I will only be running a single downpipe, so that won't be an issue. I'll let you know what I find as far as plugs go.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

the weld in 'O2 test ports' come with a plug.. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
the weld in 'O2 test ports' come with a plug.. Wink

I noticed that...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tdm-272-200
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
vwfreek61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

h00drat wrote:
2. Fox header fits and clears the diesel engine mount. It's a tight fit, but it fits. I will try to use it with a similar setup to VWFreak above. Custom downpipe / bends / etc. I'll build a heat shield to protect my motor mount from the heat.

You might lose a couple hp with the single outlet manifold versus the dual outlet, but making a downpipe will be much easier. Something like this would have more than enough bends to get the job done: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-25inch-Aluminized-Mandr...mp;vxp=mtr
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 55

Jump to: