Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

RC VW Thing 181
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: RC VW Thing 181 Reply with quote

Thought I'd share my RC VW Thing with you folks, I've been working on getting the garage set up with all the models and RC VW's I have. I didn't have a Thing from the one I had from '95-'00 and couldn't find one. So I bought the Tamiya VW M-04L chassis and went on to designing the body using Autodesk Inventor and 3d Printing in on my Robo3d. All the body panels were printed individually and the epoxy coated to smooth out print lines. Once that was done, it was primered, assembled, and then sanded, primered, sanded, primered, sanded painted, wet sanded and final coated. The bumpers were then printed and painted as well as the VW emblem, front turn signal lights and rear deck latch.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: RC VW Thing 181 Reply with quote

Very Nice. Looks perfect, what scale did you make it?
GB
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: RC VW Thing 181 Reply with quote

It's based off of the wheel base of a 1/10 scale Tamiya M-04L that has a bug body, so pretty close to 1/10 scale as the Things wheel base is a few inches longer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: RC VW Thing 181 Reply with quote

Ihre vorbildlichen bildenfähigkeiten sind ausgezeichnet!
It's a play thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: RC VW Thing 181 Reply with quote

very nice

I've been playing with my thing ever since I got it...
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: RC VW Thing 181 Reply with quote

that is very cool and cute as could be
barrycb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: RC VW Thing 181 Reply with quote

Are you interested in selling me a couple of these?
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: RC VW Thing 181 Reply with quote

As much as I would like to sell them, it's quiet the investment in just the chassis ($200) and wheels ($60) and the raw panels from the printer take dozens of hours to smooth. thanks though.
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: RC VW Thing 181 Reply with quote

Would you consider selling just the raw printed panels?
Solomon Grundy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: RC VW Thing 181 Reply with quote

That is very cool. I see you posted the stl files on thingiverse, how appropriate is that! Wink If you post the Inventor files I would like to add to this design. I normally use PTC Creo Parametric and SolidWorks but my Inventor is a little rusty. Maybe I can add to your fine creation?
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:726759/#files
| _______
| |_______| '73 Thing "481"
| _\_\_|_/_/_
| |O||_4_||O|
| [ ]=====[ ]
http://vwthingregistry.com
https://doublecabshaka.wordpress.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: RC VW Thing 181 Reply with quote

Thanks,

Uploaded the Inventor files for you to play with.

Have fun!
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: