Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

Well... Here in the USSR, I mean California, your options are to keep all the stock components and just swap them back in every two years for your smog check(it would probably take 3-4 hours each time to do it) or buy a diesel model and swap out the 1.6d for the 2.1turbo kit.

Hans
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

This is new in many ways. I think the biggest question is expected mileage with these add ons to say a newly rebuilt waterboxer? You will need people testing this kit and driving the heck out of the vans to get mileage on these motors. I'm very interested as I am about to pull the trigger on a subi 2.5l also. I am excited, but if your kit may yield less than 100k miles, I still may go subi.

Incredible work... add me please: [email protected]
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

So long as the boost level is modest and someone doesn't flog it to death, the life would be good and long. VW Joe grafted a complete Volvo 740 turbo FI system to his 2.1 and has had great success and reliable service from it.

Hans
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

regis101 wrote:
That and how to get a Pass on the smog visual.?

Highly unlikey, but you could always move to one the few remaining smog free county...
marcotheturbosteamengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

JDub113 wrote:
This is new in many ways. I think the biggest question is expected mileage with these add ons to say a newly rebuilt waterboxer? You will need people testing this kit and driving the heck out of the vans to get mileage on these motors. I'm very interested as I am about to pull the trigger on a subi 2.5l also. I am excited, but if your kit may yield less than 100k miles, I still may go subi.

Incredible work... add me please: [email protected]

Mileage Is very much based on how you drive, I have no questionable doubt that a turbocharged low compresion (MV) waterboxer will live very close to original mileage, turbo charging is actualy very easy on an engine compared to the same power made N/A.
Thanks for the compliment, ive added your email.
marcotheturbosteamengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

Turbo Waterboxer crank trigger, 36-1 and high speed hall sensor. This is designed by Mario Velotta @ The Dub Shop its a high Quality unit that will compliment the turbo kit perfectly.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Carrot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

Canada Is ready.....

Where do we send the core pulleys?

German engineering enhanced with American ingenuity and British craftsmanship....

Very Nice.
Luckyphil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

Gowesty better pull their finger out or all their potential customers will be buying this kit. They have been fluffing around for over 2 years.
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

I disagree as this will, pun intended, "boost" engine sales. You want to start with a fresh motor. Seems most of us still with the wbx have 120k+ miles and would need a rebuild first or new motor with new heads. Yes?no?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

I gather the engine management could be installed on an engine in any state of performance, but the turbo should probably be reserved for only the most robust condition engines. I assume having roughly equal compression in all the cylinders is a prerequisite.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
marcotheturbosteamengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

The Carrot wrote:
Canada Is ready.....

Where do we send the core pulleys?

German engineering enhanced with American ingenuity and British craftsmanship....

Very Nice.

Thanks for the compliment 👍🏼 Theres is a core exchange needed for the pulley, throttle body and the 3piece injection intake. As all 5 parts are modified by me.
marcotheturbosteamengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

Luckyphil wrote:
Gowesty better pull their finger out or all their potential customers will be buying this kit. They have been fluffing around for over 2 years.

I think Gowesty are a great company and stands by there products 110%, I dont agree with everything they are doing with there fuel injection kit, but im not really interested in just FI, the turbo does all the work, the programable FI makes it possible. Theres only soo much gain with just FI. The waterboxer is very strong, especially the bottom end, with alittle boost the waterboxer becomes an amazing engine.
marcotheturbosteamengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

JDub113 wrote:
I disagree as this will, pun intended, "boost" engine sales. You want to start with a fresh motor. Seems most of us still with the wbx have 120k+ miles and would need a rebuild first or new motor with new heads. Yes?no?

Any automotive engine that has 120k+ miles I would recommend a rebuild or atleast and top end rebuild. If you engine has good hot oil pressure and has a good cylinder leak down test, then there should be no problem fitting my turbo kit, you must take into account that if the motor has the original rods and original cam/lifters, original heads/valves they do wear and at 160k miles I would definitely do a full rebuild to prolong your engine for the next 100k, turbo or not.
marcotheturbosteamengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I gather the engine management could be installed on an engine in any state of performance, but the turbo should probably be reserved for only the most robust condition engines. I assume having roughly equal compression in all the cylinders is a prerequisite.

Correct, you should always do a leakdown test and take note of hot oil pressure, to determine the condition of the engine before any upgrades especially if your going to DOUBLE the performance!!
adv rider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

Will it be ok to run the updated management on a stock 2.1, and as $ allows add the turbo kit?
Do I have to know how to computer program to use the F.I. kit?
I am very interested in this set-up
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

I didnt read all, but if you go to add a turbo, you will need for sure other Cylinder-Head bolts like on Porsche engines.

Edit:
And depends on the turbo pressure you will need to lower the compression.

"Finally I ended up with the much more robust type 4 engine as the basis. Numerous modifications, such. As camshaft, valves, piston / cylinder, compression ratio and various reinforcing measures were necessary on the fuselage engine to make the system reliable and functional to a high degree suitable for everyday use."

http://www.turboboxer.de/
marcotheturbosteamengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

Waldi wrote:
I didnt read all, but if you go to add a turbo, you will need for sure other Cylinder-Head bolts like on Porsche engines.

Edit:
And depends on the turbo pressure you will need to lower the compression.

"Finally I ended up with the much more robust type 4 engine as the basis. Numerous modifications, such. As camshaft, valves, piston / cylinder, compression ratio and various reinforcing measures were necessary on the fuselage engine to make the system reliable and functional to a high degree suitable for everyday use."

http://www.turboboxer.de/

👍🏼
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

Something I have been curious about with a modern FI system upgrade is whether there are measurable benefits to fuel economy? I've asked this question of the folks at Go Westy re: the kit they are working on, and they so far have dismissed the question.

I've always wondered if the poor fuel economy of the WBX has more to do with the engine management or the mechanical design.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

It's more than likely a combination of aerodynamics, weight and gearing. Somewhere on here there's a fuel economy thread with a plot map graph showing the fuel economy ranges for various engines. The graph shows that most of the naturally aspirated gas four cylinder engines return fuel economy figures roughly conforming to others in the same range--the operative term there is range. The same goes for the diesels.

Theoretically turbo WBX engines with modern fuel management could return figures outside of that NA range, possibly on both ends of the scale. Personally, if given a choice I'll choose a turbo engine over NA every time. I'm excited to see where this project leads, especially if these engines can produce peak torque lower in the RPM band so that taller gearing can be used to reduce freeway RPMs.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

Red Beard wrote:
Something I have been curious about with a modern FI system upgrade is whether there are measurable benefits to fuel economy? I've asked this question of the folks at Go Westy re: the kit they are working on, and they so far have dismissed the question.

I've always wondered if the poor fuel economy of the WBX has more to do with the engine management or the mechanical design.

That's a good question. My friend's newer 4wd Suburban averages a consistent 18 mpg highway/city. This it with the AFM (active Fuel Mgmt 4 cyl mode off). Impressive #'s considering how large & heavy it is (with a 5.3 vCool...

To compare, I have a 4wd Nissan pickup. It gets 17 MPG. It has a 2.4 4 cyl.

I think gas mileage is mostly related to how hard the engine needs to work. I have my foot in the Nissan (& my 15MPG Syncro) all the time...

Maybe a turbo on my Syncro may give me better MPG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 31

Jump to: