Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh Reply with quote

My sliding door pops free fine when opening, but it seems I have the opposite problem - it doesn't shut properly. The rear part of the door is not completely flush with the body when closed. If I apply pressure by hand, it does become flush, but even then the rear mechanism does not fully engage, so when I release the pressure the door pops back a bit. And because the rear mech doesn't fully lock, I also cannot lock the door manually from inside the bus. Please HELP!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1977 Westfalia
1961 Beetle
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh Reply with quote

To pull the back of the door in and lock it flush with the body, you go up with the door handle. The cable inside pulls it in and locks it. Hopefully no one has messed with those cables inside.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
To pull the back of the door in and lock it flush with the body, you go up with the door handle. The cable inside pulls it in and locks it. Hopefully no one has messed with those cables inside.

I just tried that but pushing the handle up does nothing. I actually wondered what that upward movement of the handle was for. It does nothing, there's no mechanical sound or feel that something is moving whatsoever. It only springs back to the middle position of the handle. Does that mean something is screwed with my front mechanism? The back one I was able to take apart to check, clean and lube. But the front one seems factory shut and un-openable.

1977 Westfalia
1961 Beetle
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh Reply with quote

That's a late bay door it doesn't latch by pulling up like pretty 73 doors do.

Does slamming it engage the latch? Looks like the latch is sticky and worth a clean lube and make sure that it moves freely.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh Reply with quote

I cleaned and lubed the rear mech. It seems to be working properly. The latch moves to the locking position when I push down the handle and apply pressure to it (it's spring loaded) with my finger.

With the door open, standing outside the bus, I push the outside handle down with my right hand and press on the rear mech locking 'tongue' with my left hand. When I let go of the outside handle, the tongue now stays in the locked position, mimicking a closed door.

Now I check things on the inside, and voila, flipping the plastic knob does lock the inside handle. Then I flip up the plastic knob, and depress the handle, there's the click sound of the rear mech disengaging and the door is now in the open configuration. Everything is working properly in the door itself.

However... when trying all of the above with closing the door, the door does not close all the way and is not flush with the bus body. This causes the tongue of the rear mech to not fully lock. Because of this, the mech does not pull the cable all the way and the door cannot be locked from the inside.

1977 Westfalia
1961 Beetle
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh Reply with quote

If you are having to pull down on the handle in order to get the rear of the door central latch to latch. Leads me to believe the problem is in the central latch or the adjustment.

Inspect the door for any broken or missing parts. Try adjusting per the Bentley and Sliding Door Interior Overhaul Part III.

thnx to mayor ratwell
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/SlidingDoor.html

thnx to eche bus
Sliding Door Interior Overhaul Part I
Sliding Door Interior Overhaul Part III
Sliding Door Interior Overhaul Part III

Bentley
Volkswagen Station Wagon, Bus (Type 2) Service Manual: 1968-79
ISBN-10: 0837616352
ISBN-13: 978-0837616353[url]

Good luck
Tcash[/url]
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh Reply with quote

From the looks of the rear striker the door needs to be adjusted forward and up a little, the forward may happen by itself if it's sagged at the front as well and binding on the front striker.

Is the cable sleeve still coming out of the ferrule after the lube job?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh Reply with quote

On my 1971 the latch that's supposed to hold the door open has a broken spring. In the past I've purchased the whole assembly but this time I'd like to ask if anyone knows of a replacement spring?

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh Reply with quote

Well, I answered my own question. Available from the Netherlands

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1775969
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh Reply with quote

The return spring inside of split bus ice pick handles can be made to work pretty easily as well
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Sliding Door Retainer Spring 211 837 215 A Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
On my 1971 the latch that's supposed to hold the door open has a broken spring. In the past I've purchased the whole assembly but this time I'd like to ask if anyone knows of a replacement spring?

Sliding Door Retainer Spring 211 837 215 A
thnx to jerseylooker #9

http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/EarlyBaywindow/8-056c.jpg

Bus-Ok
http://have-a-nice-bay.nl/product_info.php?products_id=12840

http://www.vwbornholm.dk/default.asp?active_page_id=91

GD
Tcash
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh Reply with quote

Thanks Tim, I just ordered 4 springs from Wolfgang Intl.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Vova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh FAQ Reply with quote

Not sure if it was already mentioned but I just found out the hard way that the early and late model latches are not interchangeable.
https://www.facebook.com/Bay-Area-VW-Owners-1464253410267781/
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh FAQ Reply with quote

Sad Sad ME too- replaced the replaced slider and it broke the back latch off--twice now and probably the original as well- so baby makes 3-

So going to order another when the opportunity show up and do a complete door alignment and make sure it works this next time.

The blue one came with the bus and the white one was a classified ad replacement- as you can see both failed in the same way.[img]
[img][/img]

[/img]

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh FAQ Reply with quote

Alright, I have an interesting problem. My inside locking mechanism near my handle doesn't stay up, it likes to lock my handle making it so I can't get my second click from the outside of the car. I didn't immediately see a way to open that front mechanism, It can be done right? but how? Any suggestions?
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh FAQ Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
Alright, I have an interesting problem. My inside locking mechanism near my handle doesn't stay up, it likes to lock my handle making it so I can't get my second click from the outside of the car. I didn't immediately see a way to open that front mechanism, It can be done right? but how? Any suggestions?

The rivets have to be drilled out, and replaced with some skinny nut/bolt type fastener. I chickened out four years ago and bought a good used one for like $30, but I have the old one somewhere… Sounds like you'll be making a tutorial for us?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh FAQ Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:

The rivets have to be drilled out, and replaced with some skinny nut/bolt type fastener. I chickened out four years ago and bought a good used one for like $30, but I have the old one somewhere… Sounds like you'll be making a tutorial for us?

Robbie

I'll see what I can do.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh FAQ Reply with quote

I seem to have hit a snag in refreshing my sliding door hinge. I'm pretty sure I have the orientation wrong, but I've assembled according to this guide twice and both times it's come out the same.

Problem seems to be that I'm not able to get the door shut without really slamming on the rear. On top of that when I get it latched it seems to be jamming the plastic block out of position. Right now I've got only the rear catch installed. I've left the front off while I try and sort out the rear. Some photos.

Angle of installed hinged. Not completely perpendicular.

When my door is installed this catch that Colin talked about never actually does anything. It's pretty much always in this position.

Plastic tracks fine when open, but when closed it gets jammed up against the wall of the bus.

Thanks!
kool kombi 79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh FAQ Reply with quote

surfbus23 wrote:
I seem to have hit a snag in refreshing my sliding door hinge. I'm pretty sure I have the orientation wrong, but I've assembled according to this guide twice and both times it's come out the same.

Problem seems to be that I'm not able to get the door shut without really slamming on the rear. On top of that when I get it latched it seems to be jamming the plastic block out of position. Right now I've got only the rear catch installed. I've left the front off while I try and sort out the rear. Some photos.

Angle of installed hinged. Not completely perpendicular.

When my door is installed this catch that Colin talked about never actually does anything. It's pretty much always in this position.

Plastic tracks fine when open, but when closed it gets jammed up against the wall of the bus.

Thanks!

The angle of the Hinge Unit is Correct, they don't sit straight.

The latch not being engaged onto the cam is ok, that is governed by where the door is when opened.

Your guide block is worn out.

Recommended checks for your Hinge Unit.:

# Check the housings for ware/movement this will cause your door to drop when opened and is the main cause for doors not closing.

# Change your guide block

# change your roller, they ware and the door is in a lower position, making things as mentioned above worse.

# Check the roller rail, see if there is a dip in the rail where the roller sits when closed, this will cause door drop aswell.

Malcolm Engineering
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh FAQ Reply with quote

kool kombi 79 wrote:

Your guide block is worn out.

It certainly is! Didn't know what a proper one was supposed to look like. This explains why it keeps pulling up when closed rather than staying in line.

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: