Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.0 engine value
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redpepper31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: 2.0 engine value Reply with quote

My brother-in-law is cleaning out his shop and gave me his 2.0 long block from a 914 he had years ago. He told me the engine was running when removed.
I just rebuilt the type 4 in my 77 bus so really don't need the engine.
I plan on selling it but unsure of the value compared to the VW type 4.
Can anyone give me a ballpark figure for the long block?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 engine value Reply with quote

The problem with enginez that sit for years.....and were removed in used condition....is that they only had a limited lifespan yet and no one knows what it may have had left for life. Add to that.....sitting and not running is one of the worst things for an engine.

So for most people....unless you can start it......its just an engine core. If its really a 914 2.0.....the three bolt 914 specific heads have "some" value.....but they are prone to cracking and the cost to correct that is very high. Its high enough that since now there are 912 2.0 specific new castings on the market.......in my opinion unless the heads have been pulled off and the castings checked for cracks and the valve seats checked for tightness.....I would not pay extra for them.
For someone who is doing a restoration and just "must" have real 914 castings....they have value.

If its just a longblock....no 914 specific sheet metal or injection system.....aside from the heads its just a core. I would say about $400 for a complete core longblock that rotates. If you can verify the heads are good....add about $400-$500 to it because they are still used.

I would pull the heads and have them checked....then bolt them back on. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 engine value Reply with quote

What does it mean “I already have rebuilt my motor so have no need of another”.? These words,seem all a jumble and just crazy talk that I don’t feel is appropriate for my wife’s sensitive ears.*

Actually- my wife is very supportive of the necessity for more, bigger motors, especially when it’s going into her 914..
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 engine value Reply with quote

a genuine 914 2.0 long block is always worth 1000 dollars as long as it turns over
thesatanicmechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 engine value Reply with quote

I just sold a '73-'74 2.0 less induction, exhaust and ignition coil at "friend price" for $1500 + freight & insurance. Sure it could have commanded $2K plus if I'd held out for it.

I always have kept a spare engine for my air cooled VWs, just 'sayin.

2.0 914 heads are by general consensus, not appropriate for bus applications since they have less material in the combustion chambers and are more susceptible to distortion and heat related damage. I've run them in a type 2 application before with a long duration camshaft and didn't have any issue.

YMMV.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 engine value Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
a genuine 914 2.0 long block is always worth 1000 dollars as long as it turns over

Sad but true.....however...its only excess value (over any other type 4 based longblock) are the case series and number and number location...specific to a 914 and the heads if they are functional.....which is more rare by the day.....and it onoy has usefulness to those who are doing an actual restoration.

It has no other benefits by design to any other type 4. Crank, rods ...same....case....other tjan the number position...same. The heads...for what it costs to make the average head "safe" to drive at this date and time can be better spent on brand new 914 2.0 castings (new life, better alloy).....and you will likely get away cheaper.

Pistons?....they better be low miles, not a scuff on them and have another hundred k in their skirts or they are just scrap.

I understand the collectors value for the restoration crowd.....but outside of that....porsche people keep paying Porsche $'s for VW parts for no "functional" reasons. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: