Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

body part replacement
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
allenw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: body part replacement Reply with quote

So this is where I am at, 74 super the body is starting to bubble the paint. I suspect rust under it from the PO polished turd paint job. I will be taking the body off next year to strip and paint correctly, along with some rust repairs. I can see rust out behind both front wheels. The problems I can see are both doors sag, the engine compartment sheet metal has been pushed over from the passenger side to the driver side. There is a 1/2" gap on the passenger side and a 3" gap on the drivers side so the engine seals do not fit properly (yes it gets hot on longer drives). It looks as if there has been a crappy attempt to replace the passenger side and rear apron sheet metal this may be why the engine compartment gaps are all hosed up.

So now to my question I can get a 73 super body that has sat in a barn since 1984 that has front end damage from an accident, this is why it was parked. The rear on my current car would have to be cut off all the way up to the fire wall and replaced. I am worried the may be a lot more rust to repair once I get it stripped. The 73 super body still have the OG paint on it and no rust except where the front is crunched in at. My thought is it would be better to get the 73 body graft on the front part from my current car then repaint.

Looking for advice which is harder to replace the rear sheet metal or the front sheet metal. The potential donner body front end damage is only about 8 " in and does not go up to the strut towers all the doors open fine with no problems.

My biggest concern is the potential hidden rust on my current body there may be a lot I am thinking.

What would be a fare price for the stripped out body?
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: body part replacement Reply with quote

Rust behind the front wheels should indicate that the wheelhousing braces/brackets need to be replaced or patched. This is the same piece that the steering box and idler arm attach to.

I would fix the wheel housings on the 73 and not combine the two cars together.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: body part replacement Reply with quote

From your description I'd lean toward the 73 body. You'd have to inspect it well and look at its rusted out areas if any. Sounds like an apron replacement is needed for the 73, which is much easier than the engine compartment area of the 74. You can check out my gallery for lots of pics of 74 super body repair. The main difference between the 73 and 74 super is the shock absorber bumper shocks as opposed to the solid mounts of the 73. I converted my 74 bumper mounts over the the 73 solid mounts. I also replaced the front apron. My primary damage to my 74 was the rear corner of the car, and it took a lot of massaging to get the engine compartment square again to accept the engine seal. If the 73 is already good in that area, then I'd concentrate on the front end of the 73 if it's not a rust-bucket.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allenw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: body part replacement Reply with quote

Thanks for the input think I will go for the 73 body, what is a fair price for the stripped out body.

Rust free price and moderate rust price.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: body part replacement Reply with quote

allenw wrote:
Thanks for the input think I will go for the 73 body, what is a fair price for the stripped out body.

Rust free price and moderate rust price.

I'd only offer a few hundred dollars for it. Doubt he's got people beating down his door for a stripped out 73 Super body. You could tell him you only need parts of it to fix your car. I'm sure if he wants more, he will counter-offer yours. Start low though.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: