Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Finally back from painter......
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtrplyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Finally back from painter...... Reply with quote

After a whole year it came back with a fresh coat of clear. Approx. 30 year old gel coat, showing some wear, but I feel it's better than it was. You can see where the silver is showing thru but the gloss is great!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bluggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally back from painter...... Reply with quote

It looks great, glitter looks good.

Why did it take a year, painter was busy or you were not ready for it?

I would like to have mine repainted with blue including glitter. You must be happy and excited putting her together.

Cheers
nelson845
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Finally back from painter...... Reply with quote

It looks amazing!....Any "before" pix?
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Finally back from painter...... Reply with quote

Looks great Cool

Why did it take so long?
gtrplyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Finally back from painter...... Reply with quote

My neighbor does low-end paint work for used car dealerships. He has way too much work and doesn't prioritize well. On the up side, I did all the wet sanding and prep, $15.00 in materials, and he shot it for free. We just got done with harvest and planting so maybe this will work out after all.

gtrplyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Finally back from painter...... Reply with quote

Slow progress.

TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally back from painter...... Reply with quote

Beautiful ! I had one in that same style body, always loved the way that the fenders cupped the tops of the tires. Do you have the unique hood/dash to go with it?
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally back from painter...... Reply with quote

U can see the hood on the front of the trailer in the 1st pic.

Paul

(With way more projects than spare time!)
TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally back from painter...... Reply with quote

Yup. spotted it ! Looks like the correct dash board, if it's the correct hood it has a wonderfully unique "grill" section. A really great looking buggy when it's all assembled unlike all of the usual Manx copies for sure !
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally back from painter...... Reply with quote

The Lido or El Lobo is the coolest Dunebuggy they ever made. 10X better looking than a real Manx.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally back from painter...... Reply with quote

That's really nice looking.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gtrplyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally back from painter...... Reply with quote

It's going back together SLOWLY. Mostly waiting on parts and time. I had a teeny, tiny heart attack on July 31st, and just don't have the drive I had. It is a Lithia Mk. III I picked up a few years ago with a full tube chassis. there were photos of it at Bug Jam 2010 but they have been removed. It made its way to Nebraska in 2014 where I bought it. Great single port, bad tranny, wiring from hell, junk tires, but the gel coat was solid.
For those of you reading this, I think this is the BEST site for information, getting ideas and great help and inspiration. This is the first site I go to over coffee in the morning, and at least once more during the day. I really wish I had done this back in the 80's before I had to grow up.
Thanks for all the comments and assistance.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally back from painter...... Reply with quote

I hope you are doing better. Did they put a stint in?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gtrplyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Finally back from painter...... Reply with quote

One stint, ballooned another, one they can't fix without cutting me open. That being said, I feel much better now, just get tired real easy. The dune buggy is a low stress part of my day and something I enjoy. Cheers.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally back from painter...... Reply with quote

Stent.

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Finally back from painter...... Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
The Lido or El Lobo is the coolest Dunebuggy they ever made. 10X better looking than a real Manx.

I wouldn't get that crazy..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: