Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propex 2211 orientation options?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
macjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Propex 2211 orientation options? Reply with quote

I’ve got a new Propex from WestyVentures as part of getting the van ready to sleep in for ski trips. I’m looking at a novel install in the cabinet that usually holds the stock water tank. I want to install it “vertically”. I don’t see and specs that say it has to be installed in a particular orientation, but I also can imagine that there are such limitations. Anybody know the answer to this?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(Note the above pic is looking down at the cabinets, and misleadingly looks like the cabinets are vertical. This is the “water tank cabinet”.)

Also, can I potentially screw to the cabinet or do I want a little room between the heater and the Formica, or a shield of some kind?
Thanks in advance.
-macjack
Bike as primary transportation
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 orientation options? Reply with quote

Hi

Have you tried calling Propex directly? They would know.
noahk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 orientation options? Reply with quote

I just installed one as well. The documentation provided states that it needs to be installed "along its long axis" (parallel to the ground), so the vertical install you want to do won't work unfortunately
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 orientation options? Reply with quote

Curious... why would you install a 2211 in the interior of the van vs. the exterior as it was designed for and is much quieter installed on the exterior?
macjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 orientation options? Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
Curious... why would you install a 2211 in the interior of the van vs. the exterior as it was designed for and is much quieter installed on the exterior?

I am considering it. It do have all of those spaces currently used: propane tank on passenger side, leveling slats and grey water tank on driver side. I am willing to move the leveling slats and potentially mount the Propex under the van, however my main concern is stream fording, which I do sometimes, and sometimes it really would submerge the Propex, to ill effect, I think. I got the 2211 mostly for the added quiet and different orientation options, and if I end up mounting inside, I’m not too concerned as I understand that it is ~50% quieter.
Like most westy owners, every space is valuable, so outside mounting is nice when possible. But non-electronic things are a little more worry-free out there in all the water and slush. So far reports are that slush would be fine, it’s just those moments facing a deeper water crossing. I specifically mounted my compressor up inside the engine compartment rather than the spare tire carrier for the same reason. I put the 3.5 gallon air reservoir tank in the clamshell instead.
The water tank space is appealing since it is so deep and I could use it a bit better, but with the the need to mount the Propex longitudinally it means that cabinet is out and I’m either in the big bench or under the sink cabinet. Back to the drawing board!
noahk, thanks for the info. That’s what I suspected, but couldn’t actually find that in the materials. Where did you end up mounting yours?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 orientation options? Reply with quote

What about the battery compartment in the engine bay? I have a bunch of room to the passenger side.
macjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 orientation options? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
What about the battery compartment in the engine bay? I have a bunch of room to the passenger side.

Maybe. I don’t have a bunch of room in there, as I’ve got an intercooler on the passenger side, and stuff is moved around a little to fit the TDI. Plus the on board air compressor, and there’s just not a ton of room. But I do have a raised lid, and theoretically could put it above the engine compartment and under the raised lid. It does seem like a longer run to send the heated air and not sure where to cut a new set of large holes in the firewall. But I’m exploring all options now, so I’ll look into the general engine compartment area.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 orientation options? Reply with quote

Could you mount it high in the water cabinet horizontally, then put a door under it for accessibility? Or the cabinet to the right? What do !you do for water storage?
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 orientation options? Reply with quote

The Westy Ventures website:

" It can be mounted under the floor or inside the camper vertically, taking up less valuable space than the other models."

Did you ask Karl about mounting it vertically?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 orientation options? Reply with quote

http://www.propexheatsource.com/welcome-to-propex-usa/

Propex HS2211

Can be mounted externally under the floor or inside the camper vertically, taking up less valuable space than the other models.

Can be mounted beneath vehicle
6500 BTU output
1.4 A current
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 orientation options? Reply with quote

'Vertical' meaning as so:

On end it will causing the fan motor bearings to wear as most motors aren't designed to run on end.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
macjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 orientation options? Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
'Vertical' meaning as so:

Yes, I figured as much. Thanks, Karl. I don't really know how propane fuel jets and the flame works, but I could also picture that it is not a universal orientation system.

ahmed.aboudan, I have used a 6 gallon Reliance container that I can take in and out of the cabinet. I installed a custom Dometic sink/stove system with my own pumps, so my hoses just drop through the top of the reliance container. I might end up getting a Valterra box for in there, but I like being able to remove it for filling. I also carry two jerry water cans on the back bumper, and have another six gallons in the clamshell. It does make for a little more shuffling along the way than the stock 15 gallon tank, but it saves from needing to cut a hole in the side of the van for filling, plus there is room for lots of other stuff in the water cabinet, like a few ammo cans full of parts, under the Reliance tank.
As far as mounting, I am seeing lots of mounts looking like they are screwed straight on the cabinet. Is that sufficient shielding? Also, how hot does the unit get and how much do you have to keep other stuff from touching it while it is running?
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 orientation options? Reply with quote

macjack wrote:

As far as mounting, I am seeing lots of mounts looking like they are screwed straight on the cabinet. Is that sufficient shielding? Also, how hot does the unit get and how much do you have to keep other stuff from touching it while it is running?

The 2211 won't require anything, the case barely gets warm. The exhaust is the only thing that gets that hot. The ducting just next to the heater will also get a bit hot but not like the exhaust.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 orientation options? Reply with quote

I'm considering an HS2211 and would like to install it behind the passenger seat like in the photo below. Is there a special heat resistant gasket/flange for the exhaust port that will go through the floor if it is mounted like this?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 orientation options? Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:

How different is the 2211 from the 2200? The installation instructions for the 2200 include this:
Quote:
c) This heater is not suitable for installation on the outside of the vehicle.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 orientation options? Reply with quote

Mounting behind the seat is possible, but the exhaust requires an insulator. The units do now ship with a high-temp silicone connector for the exhaust which would suffice, but you will need to cut a hole of about 1-3/8" for it to fit through the floor. Also keep in mind that there needs to be some separation of ducting, as it should not be installed with no ducting. As shown in the photo the heater would be constantly recirculating the heated air back into the cold air return.

The 2000 (no 2200) is an internal-mount model only. The 2211 is built to be weatherproof and can mount externally as well as internally.
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 orientation options? Reply with quote

Thanks Karl for the head's up on the exhaust gasket.

For the ducts, I think I might flip the unit around so that the ducts face the B pillar and then have a 4 ft piece of flex duct (hot air out) with a magnet at the end so I could stick it up on the B pillar or the pop top strut, etc.

I like this location because it doesn't take up any cabinet space and since I might only use the heater 20% of the time I camp, I can stash the flex duct somewhere else in the van or just leave it home.
simonslp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 orientation options? Reply with quote

I too had this conundrum. I came up with this solution...

The concept:

The finished product:

The ‘between the seats’ install fits fine and keeps your cupboards and living room floor space open. The location takes advantage of an open space underneath the Syncro cockpit, but might not fit in the same spot in a 2WD due to the gas tank up there. Once you cut holes in the floor, the propane and intake/exhaust lines run through under the van very neatly. This solution does oblige you to cover the propex, either with an insulated/ fireproofed console as I’ve done or with a wooden box or what have you (I myself am happy to have a console there, but I know that console acceptance is a personal thing Smile )

Note that I did mine with an HS2000, it might not work with larger models such as the 2211?

My good pal Alistair (samba member ragnarhairybreeks) did a write up on his installation (same method) in his blog, I’m sure he won’t mind me sharing...
https://shufti.blog/?s=Propex+&submit=Search
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 orientation options? Reply with quote

Doesn't mounting it there get in the way of rotating the passenger seat? It looks like it does from that low angle photo, but maybe not.

I personally like being able to get through that passage between the seats without having to climb over anything. I usually put a cooler there for drinks when I'm on a trip but I can move it when my passenger (wife) needs to get to the back and locate the snacks... Cool
simonslp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex 2211 orientation options? Reply with quote

The seat clears, just barely:

As to preferring not to climb over the console; as I said, consoles are a personal thing Smile.

I easily step over it to get to the cockpit, my wife hops over it while we’re driving to grab snacks enroute, it provides ‘to hand’ storage for our gps, electronics, sunglasses, candies, petty cash, pens etc, and it acts as a table/drinks holder both while driving and while relaxing with the chair rotated around. To each their own!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: