Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1641cc Engine pinging/ rattle noise.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blue65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:24 am    Post subject: 1641cc Engine pinging/ rattle noise. Reply with quote

Noise questions. There is a slight clatter when I start the engine and let it idle. Tinwear is all secure. I also get slight pinging or a rattle in the engine on 3rd and 4th gear when the revs are a bit low. On 3rd gear it noticeable only at low speed or at high speed when i reach the top of the hill. More noticeable in 4th gear when its under load and i try to pump extra gas. What could be the problem?

Ill be taking the beetle 1641cc engine to see my mechanic in the Monday morning.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1641cc Engine pinging/ rattle noise. Reply with quote

Your description sounds like "pinging" or pre-detonation. This can be improper timing, overheating, or too high compression for the fuel you are using (and maybe a couple other things) and can cause significant damage to the engine if not corrected.

I would take the mechanic for a ride to make sure the shop is aware of this issue before they get started on anything else.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1641cc Engine pinging/ rattle noise. Reply with quote

And when was the last time the valves were adjusted? You will normally get some tapping when idling until the car warms up some and then it should get quieter. But totally agree that it sounds like detonation...Don't drive it more than absolutely needed until you get this corrected.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blue65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1641cc Engine pinging/ rattle noise. Reply with quote

The valves were adjusted 3000 miles back, or 4 months ago.

I blamed it on my driving style - pumping gas when the revs are not high enough.
But sometimes it can't be helped. I'm changed down to 2nd gear when going up a hill and it pings.

Its also noticable on 4th gear if I'm on a slight incline.
blue65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1641cc Engine pinging/ rattle noise. Reply with quote

I sent it to my veteran vw mechanic this morning. He adjusted the carb jet by a bit to let in more fuel. But now the engine tends to stall when idle.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1641cc Engine pinging/ rattle noise. Reply with quote

The only thing he can "adjust" is the idle mixture. Otherwise they would have needed to replace the main and or idle jet with larger ones to let in more fuel.

You sure this person knows what they are doing?
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1641cc Engine pinging/ rattle noise. Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
The only thing he can "adjust" is the idle mixture. Otherwise they would have needed to replace the main and or idle jet with larger ones to let in more fuel.

You sure this person knows what they are doing?

But he’s a veteran VW mechanic!!!
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1641cc Engine pinging/ rattle noise. Reply with quote

There's a lot of people taking money for working on these cars.

I think a lot of them ... really shouldn't.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blue65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1641cc Engine pinging/ rattle noise. Reply with quote

Hi all, works ok now. Mech fixed it.

To be fair to him, I'm probably translating his tech speak incorrectly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: