Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pertronix breakup?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidWymore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Pertronix breakup? Reply with quote

Hi...I posted on my thread in HBB but thought I'd post here too for more exposure, hope that's OK.

I took the buggy out for the first run of the season a few weeks ago. Ran good but brakes faded away. Busy with the Dodge and the Deuce and a half so I took it to the local VW guy. He found a leaky brake line. Brakes work great now. While it was there, he also installed a relay kit for the starter, cleaned up some wiring, added some grounds, stuff I'd been meaning to do.

ISSUE : Also installed Pertonix kit and 3.0 ohm Flamethrower coil. Now it pops, cracks, breaks up, blows black smoke once the RPMs get up a little, load or not. New plugs, new coil wire cuz I had one laying around.
12.83volts to coil.

New distributor. Maybe wires, they are of unknown age and have been in the sun too much...but it was fine before the Pertronix.

009 and Progressive DGAV

Completely disassembled the carb and cleaned last night.

Hoping to get it going for Thanksgiving...need to dig up a set of points....#1 mechanic's rule, always check/change the last thing you changed...
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix breakup? Reply with quote

Do you have a pertronix 009 as well? You mention points. Are you using points or electronic ignition?

I'd start by checking the exhaust for leaks, the carb, and then the timing.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix breakup? Reply with quote

This is just FYI, I did a bunch of ignition stuff including plugs and to find out I had one brand new plug that was bad, messed up the whole engine and me,lol.. RB
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix breakup? Reply with quote

I had something similar happen recently. I am still diagnosing. So far I've found a bad condenser, fouled plugs, leak in the exhaust, timing was off and I am still hunting.

You also need to check your rotor and cap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix breakup? Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
I had something similar happen recently. I am still diagnosing. So far I've found a bad condenser, fouled plugs, leak in the exhaust, timing was off and I am still hunting.

You also need to check your rotor and cap.

It's safe to assume he has a Pertronix module if not a complete distributor.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix breakup? Reply with quote

He wrote points which didn't jive.

I still need clarification.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix breakup? Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:

He wrote "need to dig up a set of points", meaning he wants to put points back in and see if the problem goes away.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Bugsy61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix breakup? Reply with quote

I assume you used a timing light on your engine after installing the Pertronix module. It may not trigger spark at exactly the same place as the points. When I installed mine, I had to shorten the rotor 1/8 inch or so. The reluctor wheel was a little tall on the shaft, and would not let the rotor seat fully. I've heard of others having to do the same. Something to check.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix breakup? Reply with quote

Pretty easy to try different things to see what thing is doing it. I have found that some distributor cabs cause this. It could be that the new coil makes too much high voltage for that distributor cap or perhaps the spark wires. A spark is probably jumping somewhere.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix breakup? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
kawfee wrote:

He wrote "need to dig up a set of points", meaning he wants to put points back in and see if the problem goes away.

Thanks for that. I go digging for points all the time. I have a box where a bunch of points fell out of their packaging. That's what I call digging but his fits the bill too.
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix breakup? Reply with quote

Something worth checking is that you mention the wires being questionable. If you add more juice to the system it is going to want to jump somewhere. If it is set up right, that will be the point gap. However, if you upped the gap and/or the power level in the system, it can make it want to jump elsewhere. Either your cap could be crossfiring or you might have a leakage through the insulation in the wires.

Fire up the engine and then turn out the garage lights. Also check the cap for signs of carbon tracking. You might see a spark or many sparks where they should not be!

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix breakup? Reply with quote

Why not just try and replace the coil. you may have gotten a faulty one. and since your problems seem to have begun after the installation of the new couil I would say that it was a plausible place to start.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix breakup? Reply with quote

I had the exact same problem you are having. I fitted a petronix 3 module and flame thrower coil to my motor. worked for a short time , then POP, BANG, ETC. in the end the module just went dead. UTTER CRAP.
KROC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix breakup? Reply with quote

Electronic modules don't get along with non resistor plug wires and plus.

make sure you are using resitor plugs and suppresion wires.
DavidWymore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix breakup? Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions. Made it through the long Thanksgiving weekend in the desert.

Turned out it wasn't Pertronix, it was Magfire.

Replaced it with points and the problem went away. Maybe the issue was rotor height or wires as suggested, don't know. It's getting returned I believe, or maybe tested on another engine.
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix breakup? Reply with quote

I've heard of the magnet that goes under the rotor not being low enough for the pick up to read it correctly. Seen a guy cut the lip off the top and push it down more and it worked fine. Just put pertronix in my baja and haven't fired it up yet so I'll cross my fingers.
DavidWymore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix breakup? Reply with quote

Update: points started acting up, so I put a 2nd mafire in, same breaking up problem. I have more testing to do, but input appreciated.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix breakup? Reply with quote

Don't buy the cheap copy, get a real compu-fire module.
Sounds like cross-fire or a bad coil. Check secondary resistance. Check rotor phasing.
Make sure distributor has a good ground and battery connections are solid.
The module grounds to the plate, the plate grounds to the distributor body, the distributor body grounds to the engine through the clamp. Anodized aluminum does not make good connections.

A loose battery terminal can cause this as well, or ground strap. Assuming it is an ignition problem. You know they say 90% of ignition problems are carburetor related, and vise versa, depending on who you ask Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: