Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3D Printed Odometer Fix - Photos
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Odometer Fix - Photos Reply with quote

vwjetboat wrote:
Vnyd Dog wrote:
Update on my experience. Three issues presented. After install I had noise and then odo stopped working again which was weird cause the bracket was on. Noise was partly from very bottom of bracket near clearanced section for worm drive rubbing the gear. I whittled it down with a knife.
After that noise was better but then today odo stoped rolling. I've concluded that, as was stated in another thread, the issue is my metal gear must be spinning on the rod which requires a different fix from the bracket.
I guess I get to tear it down one more time !
Great part though.

did you install upside down?

Doesn't it only fit one way?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Odometer Fix - Photos Reply with quote

weird.. yep thats the right way..
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Odometer Fix - Photos Reply with quote

Vnyd Dog wrote:
I've concluded that, as was stated in another thread, the issue is my metal gear must be spinning on the rod

Which is what I've mentioned and was told to me in the 80's when Mercedes had this issue. This 3D printed bracket does nothing to prevent the gear from spinning. If the gear is pressed on with enough pressure, it will keep the shaft from coming out and the odometer to work.

This bracket does not fix the problem and only benefits the seller.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Odometer Fix - Photos Reply with quote

Vnyd Dog if you are not satisfied please let me know . I will refund your money no questions asked..
Thanks
Greg
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Odometer Fix - Photos Reply with quote

Hey thanks Greg but nah no refund needed. I didn't know my issue was the "Butcher symptom". The bracket wil help others I think.
In the end, I ended up pulling the rod and roughing it. It was tedious and time-consuming work but I think I got it. After reassembly the needle is steady and my numbers be rollin'. I wouldn't want to do that again!! See other threads or pm me if details needed. Thanks again to Greg for willing to order the printed parts.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Odometer Fix - Photos Reply with quote

Vnyd Dog wrote:
Hey thanks Greg but nah no refund needed. I didn't know my issue was the "Butcher symptom". The bracket wil help others I think.
In the end, I ended up pulling the rod and roughing it. It was tedious and time-consuming work but I think I got it. After reassembly the needle is steady and my numbers be rollin'. I wouldn't want to do that again!! See other threads or pm me if details needed. Thanks again to Greg for willing to order the printed parts.

Yea this is not actually a repair or fix.. if the shaft has not fallen out then putting this on will prevent it.. and if it has fallen out and not to far like I think that is what happen with yours .. it will keep it from falling out again.. once the shaft comes out of the tumblers.. all hell breaks lose.. as ya found out..
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Odometer Fix - Photos Reply with quote

Just installed mine. Took me longer than it should have. I added a tiny dab of glue to hold the nuts captive. That complicated things for a few minutes when it grabbed one of the bolts and I had to do some corrective surgery to get the nut and bolt to thread. Maybe a slightly smaller hole would allow the nuts to be press fit and stay without glue.

But it went in easily enough, once I worked out the orientation of the parts.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Odometer Fix - Photos Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:
Vnyd Dog wrote:
I've concluded that, as was stated in another thread, the issue is my metal gear must be spinning on the rod

Which is what I've mentioned and was told to me in the 80's when Mercedes had this issue. This 3D printed bracket does nothing to prevent the gear from spinning. If the gear is pressed on with enough pressure, it will keep the shaft from coming out and the odometer to work.

This bracket does not fix the problem and only benefits the seller.

Actually this is no benefit to me what so ever.. I am still $75 in hole and if I sell everyone I might make 30 -40 bucks total.. by the time you add in cost of envelopes hardware and my time.. I am not really making anything actually.. Hell I do not even own a vw.. I inquired about people that might be interested.. there was enough interest in having them made.. so I did.. if you put this on before you speedo takes a crap.. it will keep it from taking a crap because it wont let the shaft and gear come out.. this is a fact.. and if it did come out this will keep it from happening again..
macjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Odometer Fix - Photos Reply with quote

Yea, three cheers for vwjetboat for offering this fix in a cool custom made kind of way. Anyone trying to fix their odometer can look at all the threads about the custom superglue, screw, and platic attempts that people have made to attempt the same thing that this accomplishes elegantly. Too bad when someone makes a very affordable product available for purchase and then gets blamed for mechanical failures beyond the scope of the repair, then accused of profiteering $13 at a time. While getting pummeled by a hurricane. Sheesh.
I have placed my order.
Bike as primary transportation
flyboyaviator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Odometer Fix - Photos Reply with quote

VWjetboat, can't make everybody happy most of the time. If you have one left I'll buy it, please let me know, your effort is much appreciated.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Odometer Fix - Photos Reply with quote

flyboyaviator wrote:
VWjetboat, can't make everybody happy most of the time. If you have one left I'll buy it, please let me know, your effort is much appreciated.

I pmed you.. I Will be shipping out the 1 order I have .. I have one left with hardware.. and 10 without hardware.. How many can I put you down for ? heheh
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Odometer Fix - Photos Reply with quote

Well, I know I could use at least one. I PM'd about 2, but after 5 days of no answer, I withdrew my query from my outbox.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Odometer Fix - Photos Reply with quote

gears wrote:
Well, I know I could use at least one. I PM'd about 2, but after 5 days of no answer, I withdrew my query from my outbox.

That is weird as i have notifications on for everything..
[email protected] is paypal
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Odometer Fix - Photos Reply with quote

No worries .. I e-mailed instead of PMing this time. Thanks for making this doodad available to us .. it's a cool solution to a common problem.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Odometer Fix - Photos Reply with quote

gears wrote:
No worries .. I e-mailed instead of PMing this time. Thanks for making this doodad available to us .. it's a cool solution to a common problem.

thanks.. if you search my threads I started you will see what is going on with jet boat.. its on hold for a bit till i can get place cleaned up outside .. hurricans suck..
macjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Odometer Fix - Photos Reply with quote

removed my cluster to install this fix, plus reconnect something loose causing my guage lights to not work. Quickly saw that the main large white plug was loose, so that was the cause of my guage lights. Then took off the face of the speedo, which isn't really necessary, but does make for a little better picture to see where the clamps go:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Put it on the cluster, in the process I had to re-orient the other side of the pin to go into the right place in the casing, then spun the gears by hand a bit to see the trip odometer and main odometer scroll, installed it and watched in wonder as the numbers rolled over while I drove. My odometer works now! My van has "gone to the moon" in miles, but didn't register the last 8k or so. Working my way all the way to 238900 mi, then work on bringing it back to earth (distance from earth to moon is 238900mi).
Thanks, vwjetboat, for sharing this effective and affordable fix. The parts really fit where they are supposed to.
Happy Thanksgiving!
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Odometer Fix - Photos Reply with quote

So your vehicle hits 200,000k miles and the odometer's parts come popping out?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
macjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Odometer Fix - Photos Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:

If odometer parts were the only ones that came popping out at 200k on these vans, I'd be a richer man.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Odometer Fix - Photos Reply with quote

macjack wrote:
kawfee wrote:

If odometer parts were the only ones that came popping out at 200k on these vans, I'd be a richer man.

I hear you on that.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Odometer Fix - Photos Reply with quote

Glad you got your speedo fixed... good job
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: