Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

Emeraldlion wrote:
We need to try to not be so quick to jump on someone because they aren't on your page.

Happy thanksgiving all

I don't think anyone was jumping on you at all. I was sharing a counter point, that's all. Wink

I just get frustrated when people who return to classic VW's and don't know any better, get lured into buying a 'new' (crappy) part based on a shiny ad and cheap price point. They then find it doesn't fit, work or breaks after a short time. This turns them off to our hobby or to these old VW's.

The people who are veteran VW owners know that 99% of the time when people cheap out, they get burned. I'm one who's been burned in the past when buying something based on price or I bought the cheap part because it's the only one reproduced.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

I agree with you , but find that it happens in any hobby and life in general. I have been burned enough times in essentially everything I have bought that I have learned to go ahead and pay for some things and accept crap in others. Kind of a right of passage we all have to learn. Pay once cry once. However, we all have the few things we are willing to either pay for or pass on. I suppose that is one of the true benefits of the huge variation on the samba that provides the good bad and ugly.

Cheers to all the vendors!
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
neil68 wrote:

If you check other ACVW forums (eg. STF, CLL etc), you will find many who have seen the benefits of using the Type 4 cooler with the Type 1 doghouse fan & shroud.

Sometimes you have to try it yourself to find out that these old internet myths are just that. Good luck!

I did try the T4 cooler mod and found it didn't do any better.

Glenn
Which shroud did you use with the T4 cooler?

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

I did the T4 cooler with a late bug fuel injected shroud, the one that comes with the venturi ring. Same as Glenn saying, it's not worth it.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
65 L41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

Very happy with it, fit was good.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

I don’t see the ads for these anymore. I had wondered what happened to them.

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!

Last edited by jbbugs on Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:03 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

https://store.concept1.ca/Engine-Air-Cooled/?subcategory=Engine%2BTin&page=2
70 911T
91 Westy
OgCalLook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

jbbugs wrote:
I don’t see the ads for these anymore. I had wondered what happened to them.

Gene Berg has them for sale. I have one, very high quality item.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2219478

Barndoor Mafia wrote:

VIVE LE CUÑADO WEAR !!!!!!!!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=306079
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

So does AA, I think they are the ones making them now.

https://aapistons.com/collections/dog-houses?page=2

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

I used one on a engine build.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
So does AA, I think they are the ones making them now.

https://aapistons.com/collections/dog-houses?page=2

Well, if they weren't made in China then, they will be now.
Nando_b63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

So I believe read that these really didn’t cool as good as the OG, but since GBE sells them , are they good enough?
dubman67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

Nando_b63 wrote:
So I believe read that these really didn’t cool as good as the OG, but since GBE sells them , are they good enough?

I have a no heat version in my double cab. Last summer, I never saw oil temps above 220. Maybe the shroud helped, maybe not. For a heavy bus going 65 on the interstate, something is working.
"At 17 got my first Volkswagen...and mastered the life long art of dragin...." Ice Cube
Nando_b63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

dubman67 wrote:
Nando_b63 wrote:

I have a no heat version in my double cab. Last summer, I never saw oil temps above 220. Maybe the shroud helped, maybe not. For a heavy bus going 65 on the interstate, something is working.

Appreciate this...
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

Nando_b63 wrote:

I don't think they cool any worse, I think there isn't really much conclusion to them being really an improvement with the type 4 cooler. A guy at work put one on a single port build since he was converting to doghouse anyways. He said it fit as well as factory, and beat the heck out of cleaning up greasy old rusty tin. If you don't have a local source for cheap OG parts I don't see them being a bad choice, at least compared to the cheap 36 horse style shrouds everyone else uses.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Nando_b63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Nando_b63 wrote:

I don't think they cool any worse, I think there isn't really much conclusion to them being really an improvement with the type 4 cooler. A guy at work put one on a single port build since he was converting to doghouse anyways. He said it fit as well as factory, and beat the heck out of cleaning up greasy old rusty tin. If you don't have a local source for cheap OG parts I don't see them being a bad choice, at least compared to the cheap 36 horse style shrouds everyone else uses.

This pretty much sums it up. Not worried bout grease , but the rust and having
To powder coat it , it makes sense to just go concept1.
I’ll give GBE a call Monday morning.

Thanks
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

My 02 c. fwiw.
These shouds have generally a very good build quality and fit. Much better than just about anything aftermarket that I have seen.
Cooling wise they equal a regular late model factory unit. One of the largest advantages over a quality 36 hp aftermarket shroud is that the cut outs etc for factory flaps are done. (good for us that use thermostats, not important for those who leave it out anyway)
As menthioned several times before, the addition of a type 4 cooler in the type 1 shroud will only show benefits above approx 5000 rpm fan speed (around 3000 engine rpm dependant on pulley size) From thereon up you will see a graduate improvement on the cooling capacity compared to a stock type 1 set up.
That means, that in a normal geared bug or similar you will not see any gains at normal cruise speeds. Once you get on the interstate there will be a marginally improvement. Typically a 5-7 degree difference over stock. But ONLY if the engine can actually get the air that it needs, which means that if you are running a pre 67 with a closed lid and no additional air intakes the difference will be less if any.
The situations where it makes most sense in my book are T2 busses. The 3 rib transmissions are so low ratioéd that the engine will run at about 3300 rpms going 55 mph. Then you have an actual benefit, and you have some extra cooling capacity to keep temperatures within reason when pulling large hills.
There is a simple thermal explanation to this, but I do not have the energy to write that essay again. The short version is that the air saturation level is too high at lower fan rpms.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

^^^^^^
Nice write up.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

I have a decent late model doghouse shroud but will not be running heat. Would it be better to just freeze plug the heat ducts, or buy one of these w/o ducts? 1641 with cheater cam, merged header and dual 34 icts.

H2OSB
Frizbal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

Greenrod wrote:
Dogo,

I just bought one of these. I too wondered about the need of a "Hoover bit" (the tiny bracket that goes around the bottom of the oil cooler between the shroud and the cooler, for those not familiar), so I emailed Concept-1. Ken from Concept-1 replied, stating that the shroud is based on a later style fuel injection fan shroud, which does not require the “hoover bit.” That works for me! One less part to purchase. I have/called them before with questions. They have always been polite and informative. Note: if you want to use a Type I cooler (which would be @#$% goofy Rolling Eyes ), then you would have to rig up something to accommodate the gap.

The quality of this shroud is superb. I am building a 2276, so I want to ensure that my project motor stays nicely cooled (it's tapped for full flow & I am planning to run an external oil cooler too, if need be). I just hope my vintage short IDF manifolds will work! I have not utilized it yet, but when I do, I will post my experience with it. When I received it from the supplier (not Concept-1), it had a few tiny scratches (you know, the ones that no one else sees, but you do). Ken stated that "the coating on them is meant as a primer for proper paint. It can be used on its own, but should really be top-coated." Basically, it's a really nice primer. I was planning on spraying it with Rust-Oleum hammered finish paint, so I am quite satisfied (so far). I hope this info helps!

--------------------------

Bringing/keeping this alive as there doesn’t seem to be a lot of users yet. Looks like it needs Hoover bit to me. Just got mine in the mail.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: