Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Case and head cylinder register sizes?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Case and head cylinder register sizes? Reply with quote

When looking at VW cases and heads them have been cut for larger cylinders. Is there a list out there somewhere for the various different register sizes at block and head?

The case and head numbers for stock engines and common oversize cuts for larger pistons and cylinders would be a great reference. Thanks!
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Case and head cylinder register sizes? Reply with quote

Page 7
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/Engine_Blueprint_Specifications_Worksheet.pdf
There are a few variations of product that aren't listed, like thick wall 92 and 94, and some of the even thicker cylinders, so you might have more questions.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Case and head cylinder register sizes? Reply with quote

I have a 197x vintage specification sheet in my gallery you can print out if you want, but it's not very useful since they don't make most of it anymore, the sizes have changed since then. The mahle catalog lists all the dimension in spanish, but there is no English catalog. I had a link for that but it went dead.

In round MM
Stock is 94 at the head
classic 92kit is 96 case, 98 head
Usual 94 kit is 97 case, 101.something at the head

Today that's pretty much it, big and bigger, but in the past there were a lot of other sizes, thinwall 90.5, and 88 sets.
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Case and head cylinder register sizes? Reply with quote

Take the cylinder to the shop they will measure dia. the add .006-.010 to the dia. you will be fine, more for larger cyl. less for smaller. More important that the case deck and head seal surface is flat and all alike, that's what seals the combustion chamber and case from leaking and cylinders all the same height for the heads to set on.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Case and head cylinder register sizes? Reply with quote

Are you gonna do some machining yourself?

Would be nice to have someone give details on how the case side is machined in steps
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Case and head cylinder register sizes? Reply with quote

This is helpful. I don't plan to do my own machining but am on the lookout for parts to build a mild single port engine. I can check register sizes on cases and heads to know what they are currently sized to build.

It leaves me with questions about 2 engines. What is the head and case register sizes on the 1200 40 horse and 1300 engines? That will help me identify those.

Edsde, thanks for that link. There is so much info around theSamba, and I didn't find that while searching. It has not only what I asked for but good references to a lot of other standard and oversize dimensions.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Case and head cylinder register sizes? Reply with quote

No problem. That engine blueprint PDF gets printed for everything I build, it really helps me keep everything organized, and the bearing specs and numbers are super helpful. I keep a printout of it and a dial caliper in my backpack when ever I go to swap meets and such. Helps to see what odd bearing boxes are.. and if the bearings inside are actually in the correct box.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Case and head cylinder register sizes? Reply with quote

All the old stuff IS in my old chart.
if anybody wants to make a FULL chart, just could take this and add onto it, would be more concise without having three languages. It will make sense with all four pages.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Case and head cylinder register sizes? Reply with quote

so those 90,5s on the list must be the old "non-thick wall" type right? those have not been around for quite a while
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Case and head cylinder register sizes? Reply with quote

Correct. I do have a set in service tho, and up until very recently Berg was still selling them!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: