Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> International Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
novetti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

callrafael wrote:
I wonder how it could possibly turn this into a commercial application since we have many rare or even NEVER SEEN cars in North America, like gurgel, Opala, Pumas, Brasilias, etc.
there is profitability in import this cars to sell them in north america since ?

My 2cents

Simply put the demand for these ''never seen'' vehicles in North America I bet is non existent. All vehicles you listed here are bastardized versions of other vehicles that were available in those markets in the time.
Opalas = poorer version of a Chevy Nova or Chevelle from late 60's
Gurgel = Copycats of VW thing but made in fiberglass
Puma = Probably the most interesting one in the list, however the version made in South Africa currently is way better than the original version with VW engine (after puma vehicles sold off their production to an entrepreneur in RSA).
Brasilias = Tropical version of a Notchback

Sorry to rain in your parade but I just gave my opinion.

However what you could do that could be profitable, is to locate companies in Brasil who were OEM of VWB and try to force them replicate some niche non available parts at the same quality and tolerances the parts they supplied VWB on the time.
coopertj1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

Bom dia Cheesecrackers75. Although this post is from a while ago, I'm glad that someone is talking about this.

I travel to Brazil at least once a year (married to a Brazilian) and I've ben "planning" to buy a Kombi and drive back for a few years now. Unfortunately I don't have the logistics worked out yet.

I apologize if you all covered this already, but with all of the Brazilian side figured out (visa, plane ticket, Portuguese language skills, brazlilan CPF, bank accounts) what does this cost come out to?

Thanks for the help.
AUSpenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

Coopertj1,
Can vouch for cheesecrackers75. Our bus made it out to the US with no problems, got registered in VA and will soon be moving down to Australia!
IowaBird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

Hello All - First time on the site! I am thinking about importing a Kombi from Brazil. Does anyone have a recommendation for an import/export company to go though or advice about ones that I need to stay away from.
Canuck Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

Has anyone used the company ‘Kombi Brazil’ for exporting? I feel like I have a handle on all the costs but am balking at wiring funds to another country and trusting that the VW I paid for shows up. Kombibrazil.com
IowaBird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

Hello Canuck Kombi, I felt the same way. I assume you have been talking to Bart. I asked him about paying using PayPal, but he said it was not accepted in Brazil. They could run the payment through European banks, but would involve additional cost. I have not ordered anything yet, can you keep me updated about how it goes if you do?
Canuck Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

Will do. I’m getting closer to pulling the trigger... Shocked
Canuck Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

So I’ve chosen a 1974 15 window. I spent some dollars having it test driven by a guy working for Kombi Brazil. It wasn’t a really great inspection but gave me more information than I had to start. I wired the funds to KB and they were deposited into their account a few days later. The seller has been paid and the bus is now at KB’s shop. They will be providing a cost estimate to complete some mechanical work to the front end that was identified in the inspection. I’m anticipating I will get the work done in Brazil as they have better access to parts. Also getting the front seats reupholstered. As soon as any work I decide to have done is completed it’s into the shipping container. In the meantime I’m looking on their site for a second bus to sell up in Canada to help finance this venture. Bart from KB has been great to deal with. Answered a whole mess of questions that I have had and has kept me apprised every step of the way. So far, so good...
Canuck Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Kombine Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

Hi Canuck Kombi, I'm one of Bart's partners in BR. I run a restoration workshop (kombine.garage on FB and Instagram).
Usually Kombi Brazil (Bart's company) takes care of the shipping, paperwork and money transfers and I do the physical part which is source the base bus and performe full restoration projects.
Our main product is the Samba replicas projects developed from the well known 15 windows still available in Brazilian streets.
Even known I'm not the perfect credential for you I can give my cent's to say that Kombi Brazil is today the best company to help you guys in this operation.
If you want to talk about the Brazilian buses..I'm here!
~Lenny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

I am going to Brazil next week and I hope to buy a VW there and get it home.
Does anyone know which company's I can trust?
Region Sao Paulo
Buses n Bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

Guys, I'm specialized in importing VW Buses to America. Please take a look at my website or facebook before flying to Brazil by yourselves to look for a bus. It's always a headache to deal with DETRAN (local DMV) and also hard to find the good deals without speaking Portuguese. If you still want to go there, get in touch with me first, I can coach you on your search in Brazil.

https://www.vwbusesnbugs.com

www.facebook.com/vwbusesnbugs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Canuck Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

So an overdue update. Purchased the Kombi and it shipped out of Brazil mid-October. It arrived in Vancouver BC at the end of November. Now here comes the snag. This was the first vehicle that Kombi Brazil had shipped to Canada so they didn’t have a broker at this end to help with customs etc at this end. Their price took this into account (shipping to the US and UK, the broker fees are included in their quoted price) I knew this going in and was given an estimate from my Canadian broker of between $1600 and $2000. Got it. Or I thought I did. I didn’t attach the significance of the per diem once the container was unloaded from the ship. Cost per day approx $250. Days the container sat on the dock before it got through customs? 17. You do the math. I couldn’t dispute it or negotiate as I would have continued to be charged by the day. On one hand I get it, but on the other, it seems like a bit of a crapshoot as well as a license to print money. All told, fees at this end were slightly over $7000. Expensive lesson. Regardless, I am extremely happy with the purchase. Condition was excellent with only minor surprises. I still need to have it inspected before I can register it. I’ve rebuilt the front brakes, installed seatbelts and have just started working on the headlights which are dim (also high beam not workin). Hopefully the inspection goes well...
vwdouglas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

Canuck Kombi wrote:
So an overdue update. Purchased the Kombi and it shipped out of Brazil mid-October. It arrived in Vancouver BC at the end of November. Now here comes the snag. This was the first vehicle that Kombi Brazil had shipped to Canada so they didn’t have a broker at this end to help with customs etc at this end. Their price took this into account (shipping to the US and UK, the broker fees are included in their quoted price) I knew this going in and was given an estimate from my Canadian broker of between $1600 and $2000. Got it. Or I thought I did. I didn’t attach the significance of the per diem once the container was unloaded from the ship. Cost per day approx $250. Days the container sat on the dock before it got through customs? 17. You do the math. I couldn’t dispute it or negotiate as I would have continued to be charged by the day. On one hand I get it, but on the other, it seems like a bit of a crapshoot as well as a license to print money. All told, fees at this end were slightly over $7000. Expensive lesson. Regardless, I am extremely happy with the purchase. Condition was excellent with only minor surprises. I still need to have it inspected before I can register it. I’ve rebuilt the front brakes, installed seatbelts and have just started working on the headlights which are dim (also high beam not workin). Hopefully the inspection goes well...

Wow! And very happy you take the VW to Canada! Send the photo of your car to us.
1969 - VW 1600
1979 - VW Variant II
1996 - VW Kombi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shade9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

QUESTION- I have a business associate and friend who lives part time in Brazil and part time in Orlando.
Tomas feels he needs to do something for me as a thank you for something I did. He told me that he was going to ship me a 2014 Kombi. Well I know that this isn’t possible due to safety regulations and probably emissions as well. So I kind of dampened the thought down.
But I was rethinking... and looked for a thread like this...
What latest year could be brought in? 25 years old... but is there a specific year?
What does one of these old ones cost before freight? I saw another post adding up the freight and brokerage. BTW...If this has all been discussed, my apologies. I’m on my phone trying to read all of this.
Is there a Brazilian site that shows them for sale?

This friend may be full of hot air. However, he is very well off. Big business. Every time we talk, he brings it up. I had told him about the troubles with the newer models. I just never thought about an older one...

Ed
santacruzboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I am new to the forum. I am moving to Sao Paulo soon from Santa Cruz California. I will likely be in Sao Paulo for 3-5 years. I have had a dream of owning a VW bus as my coastal surf workhorse since I moved to Santa Cruz. I am not a gear head and not a VW traditionalist or collector. My plan is to buy a Brazilian bus in Sao Paulo primarily to take me on day and weekend trips out to the beaches to surf. Ideally I would like to get one that I can take back with me. Reliability and functionality (within the normal limits of kombis) are my first level of criteria. So I am looking for a few recommendations or questions:

1) Recommendations for buying and maintaining busses locally in Sao Paulo as I won't be looking to export for a while. Since I will be living in Sao Paulo if there is a way to save some money by working with domestic oriented sellers and restores versus those focused on exporting to the markets I would like to do that. However if the exporters are also the best quality or the prices are the same then at least I can know.

2) For any in Sao Paulo, given the number of kombis around I am hoping the cars (especially if not luxed out) are relatively safe. I do have kids that will be driving around with me and I would prefer not to increase my likilihood of getting jacked in a car. I know some other people in my situation that have their cars bulletproofed etc. This seems over the top to me but I want to be smart or at least know if I am doing something stupid. I am pretty laid back and have lived and traveled pretty broadly. So its not something I am overly sensitive to honestly. Hope this isn't a dumb question.

3) Any recommendation on years or models I should look at? I know I need at least a '95 or later to import back to the US. (I can register and license in Colorado before taking it to California) I have started reading the forums and will try to bone up in my bus knowledge but any help in directing my attention would be helpful. Again collector status isn't my goal. I have 5 people to transport to the beach and one day I may want to turn it into a camper or maybe just get a camper.

My initial budget would be somewhere in the $R45,000 or less range.

Thanks in advance and I am excited to be part of the community.
mxcadi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

Hello all!
Like several others on here I am very interested in buying a Brazilian bus.
Has anyone delt with or have any legit info on VW BUSES N BUGS (broker) they even advertise on this site.

Skeptic buyer but serious buyer!

Please text me a response 909-630-2825
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

mxcadi wrote:
Hello all!
Like several others on here I am very interested in buying a Brazilian bus.
Has anyone delt with or have any legit info on VW BUSES N BUGS (broker) they even advertise on this site.

Skeptic buyer but serious buyer!

I have never seen people post they bought something, only ask about it

His feedback thread with the same question:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713170
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surfbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: How to Import a VW from Brazil (Brasil) Reply with quote

The "Let's Talk Dubs" Podcast https://www.letstalkdubs.com/ did one on Brazilian imports, episode #57. http://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-57-brazilian-vw-importer-brien-hamerik Definitely worth listening to. Lots of good info
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> International All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: