Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BN4 gas heater blowing fuse
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: BN4 gas heater blowing fuse Reply with quote

It blows the 8A fuse on top. I have read about the air inlets could be obstructed, they aren't. I can run the heater with Thing in shop and it will come on and reach the cut off temp and cut off and cool down a little and then come back on and repeat this several time as I think it should. But when I drive it in about 5 min it will blow that fuse. Any idea why it gets too hot when driving? I'll try to adjust that safety thermal switch again a little. It says turn screw ccw increases response time. Would that mean it can get a little hotter before that fuse blows giving the thermostat a little more time to cycle heater off. I have checked temp with thermometer and it isn't getting too hot, that is when in shop. I can't check temp while driving but I can assume it must be getting a little hotter to blow that fuse.
Any ideas appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gfulcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: BN4 gas heater blowing fuse Reply with quote

Hey there -

How is your fuel pump function? I had a BN4 that kept blowing fuses and it turned out to be an issue related (directly or indirectly) to a failing fuel pump. Pump is triggered by a points system in the impeller fan, so it's timed based on fan speed.

Also, how is the exhaust outlet in the fender well? I agree; it's strange this problem would only manifest while driving.

Glow plug & coil is healthy?
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: BN4 gas heater blowing fuse Reply with quote

gfulcher wrote:
Hey there -

How is your fuel pump function? I had a BN4 that kept blowing fuses and it turned out to be an issue related (directly or indirectly) to a failing fuel pump. Pump is triggered by a points system in the impeller fan, so it's timed based on fan speed.

Also, how is the exhaust outlet in the fender well? I agree; it's strange this problem would only manifest while driving.

Glow plug & coil is healthy?

Fuel pump is good. earlier I calibrated it and seems to always work when and as it should. I can hear it and feel the line and feel it pulsing.

I just went out and adjusted safety switch and it run longer but it blew the 16A fuse in the fuse panel. When it did the heater shut down and didn't run its cool down cycle. It just cut off. I thought that no mater it would keep running till cooled down. What caused red 16A fuse to blow

My thermostat doesn't look like any I ever saw a photo of. It is working and I don't think that has anything to do with fuse blowing. Just curious why it is different. see photo
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: BN4 gas heater blowing fuse Reply with quote

You might adjust the limiting screws on your thermostat and see what effect that has. Maybe your entire system is a hybrid of parts from different heater units that don't play well together?
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: BN4 gas heater blowing fuse Reply with quote

In my case this was hapening because the overheating switch (below the fuse) needed to br adjusted

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: