Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front suspension
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dwc1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Front suspension Reply with quote

I’m thinking about redoing my whole front end to make it look better but what I was wondering if these shocks are worth the money or to go with something different ? Thanks in advance for the advice
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension Reply with quote

With very little weight on the front of your buggy, there is no need for coil over shocks.
The use of cheap oil filled shock will allow your front suspension to work like it is suppose to.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
Dwc1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension Reply with quote

So would every thing from my old front end be able to go on the new front end
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension Reply with quote

Ok it was kind of vague in your question on what exactly you want to do to your front suspension.

Are you planning on installing an aluminum axle beam as in the pictures?
If so you will want to install a very soft shock with when using one that has aluminum shock towers.
I seen them break off with stiffer than stock shocks. Like a KYB GasAjust white ones. A coil over shock would surely break them off over time as the towers will flex.

And yes your stock suspension components will fit on and in an aluminum beam.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
Dwc1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension Reply with quote

My main reason on going to aluminum beam is the look. Is it worth it go aluminum on a performance stand point?
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension Reply with quote

If you are only after looks, I would consider painting or powdercoating the current beam. It is stronger and adds needed weight to the front.

Saves money and looks the same.
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension Reply with quote

Dwc1984 wrote:
My main reason on going to aluminum beam is the look. Is it worth it go aluminum on a performance stand point?

No not on a buggy. You want the look then sand the steel beams and clear coat it. Those coil over shocks are garbage. If your keeping it torsion you would be far better off with something else. Let the torsion bars do the spring and the shock do the dampening.
Dwc1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension Reply with quote

Is there a better setup for than the torsion bars that would look better?
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension Reply with quote

Front bumper and skid plate? Can't look bad if you can't see it. Paint to match frame? Wider, longer, with real coilovers?
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension Reply with quote

I think "Warrior Beams" are pretty cool looking and they can be set up for more wheel travel.

http://www.mooreparts.com/vw-king-pin-steel-front-axle-beam-stock-width-with-8-shock-towers/

They make 6" wider than stock beams and wider. If you go with a wider than stock beam, you should go wider on the rear to keep things equal.

Search "Warrior Beams" there's a lot of info on this site.

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension Reply with quote

If you are stuck on the aluminum beam, I've got one that I pulled out in favor of a 6" over beam and am just a couple hours from ya. I'll make you a deal much cheaper than the catalogs!

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension Reply with quote

I have seen multiple aluminum beams crack where the shock tower meets the beam. Not exactly a strong option. For a drag rail where weight is critical, maybe. For anything else, no...and absolutely not if it is to be driven off road.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Front suspension Reply with quote

That's way too much for an aluminum beam unless they have went up.
Aluminum beams are great to save weight. But to take full advantage you'll need to go to aluminum spindle mounts. Once you pull all that weight off the front you won't need shocks at all.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546712
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Front suspension Reply with quote

If you're gonna drive it on the dunes at Silverlake, leave it as it is, maybe paint the beam a different color or something. But if you're after the car show on the lawn deal, then an aluminum beam might get your pants wet. Not likely to excite much of anyone else tho. Performance-wise, I'd say it would rank right in there with faux-leopard skin seat covers for the most speed per dollar.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: