Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Part for alternator type 4
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Part for alternator type 4 Reply with quote

What is part 19?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I installed a rebuilt alternator in my 76 bay... I am having issue with the battery going dead... I have a voltage regulator and a new battery
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Part for alternator type 4 Reply with quote

its a radio interference stopper- it is supposed to stop a buzz sound in the radio. from the alt.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Part for alternator type 4 Reply with quote

Just a capacitor to filter the output of the alternator to lessen radio interference.
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Part for alternator type 4 Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Just a capacitor to filter the output of the alternator to lessen radio interference.

So that's not the reason my battery keeps dying... sounds like I have something still on when the ignition is on draining the battery
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Part for alternator type 4 Reply with quote

Can you exchange the alternator?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Part for alternator type 4 Reply with quote

i_luv_my_bus76 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

So that's not the reason my battery keeps dying... sounds like I have something still on when the ignition is on draining the battery

What is your charging voltage? Should be 14v +/-.

Its not that hard to check for a ghost amperage draw on one of these old rigs. You should be able to find your fault in 30 minutes or less.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Part for alternator type 4 Reply with quote

Smarter minds correct me here:

If your battery keeps dying, remove the Positive terminal clamp on the battery. Hook up one lead of a voltmeter to the now bare battery terminal, and select 12VDC on the meter range. Now connect the other meter lead to the dangling Positive terminal clamp. You should see some voltage being read... this is the small load that is being placed on the battery that you are tired of. It might not be the full 12 volts.

Now go to your fuse block under the dash. One at a time, remove each fuse. Each time, look at the meter. When you find the fuse that when removed, causes the meter to read zero, then you have very likely found the offending circuit. Now start tracing that circuit and ensure that it is not hacked, and hopefully you will find the small load that is killing your battery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Part for alternator type 4 Reply with quote

Or, unhook the neg cable from the battery and hook a test light the the neg battery post and ground the light probe on the body,the light will glow if you have a current draw,then pull fuses as stated above,the light will go out when you pull the fuse for the faulty circuit.
Adding an extension to the test light wire would allow you to have the light up front with you while pulling the fuses.
Turn everything off when doing this test,including the doom light.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Part for alternator type 4 Reply with quote

[quote= sounds like I have something still on when the ignition is on draining the battery[/quote]
I assume you mean when the ignition is ''off"
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Part for alternator type 4 Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:

If your battery keeps dying, remove the Positive terminal clamp on the battery.

Always safer to deal with the ground terminal on the battery than the "hot" terminal. Accidentally ground out the "hot" terminal and you can find yourself holding an red hot wire in your hands or blast a hole in the side of your van.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Part for alternator type 4 Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:

If your battery keeps dying, remove the Positive terminal clamp on the battery. Hook up one lead of a voltmeter to the now bare battery terminal, and select 12VDC on the meter range. Now connect the other meter lead to the dangling Positive terminal clamp. You should see some voltage being read... this is the small load that is being placed on the battery that you are tired of. It might not be the full 12 volts.

Now go to your fuse block under the dash. One at a time, remove each fuse. Each time, look at the meter. When you find the fuse that when removed, causes the meter to read zero, then you have very likely found the offending circuit. Now start tracing that circuit and ensure that it is not hacked, and hopefully you will find the small load that is killing your battery.

And be sure to have a good hard look at fuse #12 especially if your windshield ever leaks so much as a drop. The light "excites" the alternator.
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Part for alternator type 4 Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Can you exchange the alternator?

The alternator has a lifetime warranty on it but Napa is trying to fight me on the exchange...their excuse is that the supplier they ordered it from doesn't have anymore
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Part for alternator type 4 Reply with quote

lil-jinx wrote:
[quote= sounds like I have something still on when the ignition is on draining the battery

I assume you mean when the ignition is ''off"[/quote]

Yes I meant off
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: