Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'55 transition year debate?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rglsr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

Debate? Here's a late April 1955 (chassis # 1-0888630) with all original body panels/parts. Ribbed doors, small spring engine lid, bullets, '56-61 taillights, solid rear apron, etc. I've got another one built late June 1955 that's exactly the same...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

What does Progressive Refinements say about the large spring decklid and mount?
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

Mr. OGPaint wrote:
What does Progressive Refinements say about the large spring decklid and mount?

"3 May 55 1-0896 851 Lid spring, rear Now: reinforced; modified socket"

I suspect the chassis number was transposed, as 1-0896851 was built sometime in early June. 1-0869851 (early May) is probably more accurate for the cutover.

1-0888630 (pictured above) was a late May build, not April.
laneven28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

rglsr wrote:
Debate? Here's a late April 1955 (chassis # 1-0888630) with all original body panels/parts. Ribbed doors, small spring engine lid, bullets, '56-61 taillights, solid rear apron, etc. I've got another one built late June 1955 that's exactly the same...

That's one nice 55! Does your June car have the triangle support plate on the underside of the hood below the VW emblem? How about the April car?
1956 Iris Blue Convertible
1958 Pearl White Lowlight KG Convertible
1961 Turkis Ragtop
rglsr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

May 1955 started with chassis # 1-0892-300, as far as I can tell from 2X solid date code charts (also check the chart on this website). Neither car has the triangular support plate, and both are original hoods. The June car even has the 4X putty over the emblem tabs, all the witches hats on trim clips, etc. On the engine lid both have the small spring later type. VW transition dates/cutoffs were not always so accurate, there were occasional odd outliers....
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

rglsr wrote:
May 1955 started with chassis # 1-0892-300, as far as I can tell from 2X solid date code charts (also check the chart on this website). Neither car has the triangular support plate, and both are original hoods. The June car even has the 4X putty over the emblem tabs, all the witches hats on trim clips, etc. On the engine lid both have the small spring later type. VW transition dates/cutoffs were not always so accurate, there were occasional odd outliers....

The numbers shown on the serial number charts are for the last unit produced in a given month, not the first (e.g., 1-0892300 was the last car assembled in May, 1955)...
rglsr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying that, my bad. Make that late May (pictured car) and late July for the other one.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

1955 was also a transition year for some engine components. Distributors is a good example. From December 1954 until mid January 1955 the Beetle had the VJU 4 BR 2 installed. From mid January until the end of July 1955 the VJU 4 BR 3 was in use. August 1955 saw the introduction of the VJU 4 BR 8 which continued in use until the close of the 1960 model year.

My December 1955 (technically 1956 model year) original pastel green Beetle.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
laneven28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
1955 was also a transition year for some engine components. Distributors is a good example. From December 1954 until mid January 1955 the Beetle had the VJU 4 BR 2 installed. From mid January until the end of July 1955 the VJU 4 BR 3 was in use. August 1955 saw the introduction of the VJU 4 BR 8 which continued in use until the close of the 1960 model year.

My December 1955 (technically 1956 model year) original pastel green Beetle.

I think you're a year off with the BR2 & BR3 dates. Pretty sure the BR2 was Dec 53 thru mid Jan 54 (the first 36hps), the BR3 came after and went thru Aug 54, followed by the BR8. I have 2 BR3 distributors, one date coded April 54 and the other May 54.
1956 Iris Blue Convertible
1958 Pearl White Lowlight KG Convertible
1961 Turkis Ragtop
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

Yep your right never mind Embarassed going off my memory. Wink

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

After following this thread, I now know that I have the incorrect hood for my May/'55 beetle. I bought a '54 parts car some time ago specifically FOR the 5 bolt hood for my '55. Now I see that this is not correct since it has the triangle plate underneath. What I wonder is: Is there someone that needs a very nice '54 hood that would trade for a '55 hood? I'm just throwing it out there...
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

*Darren wrote:
Wiggy wrote:

Bullets were available as an option in april 55 for US, Canada and Guam.

So does anybody a have documented U.S. bound post 4-1-55 bug with semaphores? I'm curious whether this option was really an option. oh let's go even further anybody have a known European bound car with bullets? Some strange &^#! Often went on.

I just recently picked up a '55 built the first week of April that has semaphores, US spec bumpers, vinyl interior, and the correct fenders for egg/hearts, but the taillights were stolen at some point. I'm assuming it should have eggs.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
*Darren wrote:
Wiggy wrote:

Bullets were available as an option in april 55 for US, Canada and Guam.

So does anybody a have documented U.S. bound post 4-1-55 bug with semaphores? I'm curious whether this option was really an option. oh let's go even further anybody have a known European bound car with bullets? Some strange &^#! Often went on.

I just recently picked up a '55 built the first week of April that has semaphores, US spec bumpers, vinyl interior, and the correct fenders for egg/hearts, but the taillights were stolen at some point. I'm assuming it should have eggs.

Yes.
davetaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

I had a May '55 parts car that was a 3-fold with ribbed doors but with bullets and later 56-61 taillights and bumpers.
1980 Porsche 911 SC Targa (sold)
vwstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

Just picked up a 55 3 fold bullet car for parts (May/June 55') and am building a Jan.55 (First week) 55. Thanks for all the prior discussion and am learning that these 55's are are a real oddity in the car world with all the carry over/changes in a 7 month span.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe my car should have the following general specs:

-Triangle hood and w lid
-Heart taillights
-Ribbed semiphores
-3 fold
-Ram protection over-rider American bumpers
-Ribbed doors
-55 and earlier seats

*Let me know if I am mistaken on this list? Everything I have read and researched suggest I may have alot of carry over parts from December 54'
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

vwstew wrote:
Just picked up a 55 3 fold bullet car for parts (May/June 55') and am building a Jan.55 (First week) 55. Thanks for all the prior discussion and am learning that these 55's are are a real oddity in the car world with all the carry over/changes in a 7 month span.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe my car should have the following general specs:

-Triangle hood and w lid
-Heart taillights
-Ribbed semiphores
-3 fold
-Ribbed doors
-55 and earlier seats

*Let me know if I am mistaken on this list? Everything I have read and researched suggest I may have alot of carry over parts from December 54'

Triangle hood: Possibly
Triangle spring mount on W lid: Yes
Heart taillights: Eggs if U.S./Canadian market; otherwise hearts
Ribbed semaphores: No--smooth w/orange lenses
3-fold: Yes
Ram Protection: Most likely, if U.S./Canadian market
Ribbed doors: Yes
'55 and earlier seats: Yes
lardawge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

vwstew wrote:

-Triangle hood and w lid
-Heart taillights
-Ribbed semiphores
-3 fold
-Ribbed doors
-55 and earlier seats

Based on my Jan 55;

Yes on the triangle hood.
Ram protection was optional.
Egg taillights

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: