Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rmh60bug Volksrod Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Glass is done ! KC Auto Glass in Sugar Grove Pa did the work. Buddy of mine owns the place, he would love to get more customs projects in. I got to help cut and shape the glass, something I have never done. Will take it back next week to get door glass done. Came out great.
Fenders are for inspection only. They will be coming off. Lol

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Slow & Steady is the key
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Licensed, registered & insured ! Wife and I took it out this weekend to a farm market then ice cream. 50 mile shakedown run, not a single issue. Just a small change on air pressure in rear shocks is all !

The looks I get are awesome. Especially running fenderless. Lots of questions.

Slow & Steady is the key
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finefettle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Good on ya!
Looking great.
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Well this happened couple days ago. Went to move it out of garage and felt some movement in the shifter. Crawled underneath to see this broken nose cone mount. Looks like it was cracked already and I finished it off.

New nose cone ordered, have the engine out already. Going to tackle trans tomorrow. Swing Axle should be fun. Thinking of going with a solid mount and adding gussets to trans riser plate. Make it more solid, less flex.

Any input is welcome !

Slow & Steady is the key
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Trans strap, or mid mount would help that. I'm running a mid mount on both my cars, the 2085 in the baja and 2232 in the Thing tend to eat nose cones...
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Okay guys & gals looking for help. I have a 1960 only front trans mount. It is in really good shape, don't want to hack it up. I don't like the front trans raise mount. When I made this it was done cheesy & quick, not what I want. Would like a old junk mount to weld and fab a bracket to hold a "new" style mount. Puts the rubber back where it needs to be, on the nose cone. Not down low on plate, any flex and those ears on nose are toast.

If I can't find a junk one will fab up a plate to match bolt holes. Then make gussets to a "new" style mount. I really don't want to ruin a mount that is in good shape. Most probably going this route. But a bolt in mount would be great for down the road replacement.

One step forward, two steps back ! Lol

Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Couldn't bring myself to cut up that 60 mount, but wanted to stay rubber mounted. So I made a mount that retained original mounting bolts to a later style trans mount. I beefed up the raise plate for flex. Double plated and a recessed area for nose cone tab. Should be good enough for a 40Hp.

Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

My Volksrod is being used as the feature car for Valley VW ! Husband & Wife business that really know the VW scene !Pretty cool ! Does this make me famous ? Lol !

Slow & Steady is the key
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Very kool!
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Put back together and put away for the winter. Under roof and car cover going on. Momma says "Heated garage would be nice to park in ". Well 22 years of being happily married, Volksrod out, Mommas car in ! Lol. Happy wife happy life.

New winter project. Extra 1200 40hp that came with all the parts. Tore it down and it's in really good shape. Getting heads done & cylinders honed. Going to make a dual carb setup with 28's. I have 2 junk intakes, cut them up and make intakes. Also going to put a oil filter canister from a Ford Flathead on it. Make a poor mans Formula Vee engine. Something cool hanging out the back of the bug.

Slow & Steady is the key
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Looks good with your CYA fenders removed! Can't wait to see what you do with that engine.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Volksrod 40hp Formula Vee. Got some parts gathered up for my poormans Formula Vee, all FREE ! Two old intakes from 40hp & a Ford Flathead oil filter. Will take a little working on the filter mount to sit right, and the intakes will be some work. But I think I can make it work

Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Little garage time today. Poor mans vintage speed. Pleased with how the mount came out for filter. Need the heads back from machine shop, start on dual intakes. Any input is welcome !

Slow & Steady is the key
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Hope you bring the car to Volksfest in Manheim this spring. Would like to see it in person.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

I've modified a few shrouds to remove the heat ducts. Did you open the passageways at the bottom of the shroud to prevent pressure buildup inside?
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Bashr52 that I did.But I am glad you double checked me ! Any input is welcome. Just a small "relief" hole to equalize pressure. Did some research and saw that most think this is beneficial. Creates less back psi on flow thru the shroud.
Just need to get my heads back, start mocking up intakes.
Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Slight setback on Poormans Vintage Speed. Machine shop buddy is busy. Good for him bad for me. So while I wait, carbs rebuilt & cleaned, parts cleaned,linkage for carbs figured out and working on dual intakes & velocity stacks for 1200 40hp.

Slow & Steady is the key
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Yes. Very Happy
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Threw some rattle-can paint on the tins. Mocked up coil, oil filter & homemade spark plug wire tube.Carb linkage ( push/pull ) shows up this week. Will make my intakes to work around all this, plenty of room in the back of Volksrod. Thinking of using tube mounts as brace points for intakes also. Man I hope this works, only the 2cnd VW engine I have messed with ! Lol Plus the sign on wall Wife had her aunt make me of car for Christmas.

Slow & Steady is the key
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Love the vintage speed look.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: