Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Machine Dr.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

[b]WooleyNelson wrote:

Quote:
I guess the cooling system is one of your secrets.......... I haven't seen any mention of where you are going to place the radiator. I've been wondering....

I can tell you what the plan is as of now...
If you look at the side profile as the car sits, you can see the place that the leading edge of the hood would be is behind the front axle. This is not the look I am after. I want it to be slightly in front of the front axle.
The plan I have right now is make a straight cut across the cowl and just in front of the door. It would be in the center of the blue tape you see in the picture. Then I will extend the front 5 inches with a filler panel welded into place. This will be enough room to put the radiator straight up with electric fans behind it and leave enough clearance for a tilt front end. The opening on the sides will help air move and let out the heat. I know blower motors do tend to run hot. I am planning on using an 871 they tend to work easier and run cooler than the 671's.
Anyway, that's the plan for now. Razz
Machine Dr.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

I hope everyone had a great holiday and was able to find time for the things they love!
I spent some time working on the Brutal Bug. I started working on the extended cowl area and laying out the tilt front end. Here are a few pics:

Getting ready to cut a straight line in the middle of the blue tape.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Need to figure out the gap width to make clearance for the radiator. 7 1/2 inches seems to be the magic number.

Starting on the new cowl.

As it sits now.

The one piece tilt front end is the next part.

There is more in the new video, Part 13 on Youtube!

Link

I will keep working and keep you up to date.
Very Happy
Machine Dr.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

Just a quick update. I have been working on the tilt front and it is a ton of work! I sat the Enderle Bugcatcher on it to see how it looks, Here is what I got so far...

A view from the front...

Part 14 video is out. Shows a lot of details of how I got this far.

Link

As usual I will keep working and keep posting.
Machine Dr.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

It has been a busy and crazy summer. I finally have been able to start working again on the "Brutal Bug". The body is starting to take shape and now can see better what the car is going to look like. I have had a chance to test fit a lot of the parts for the engine bay and make sure there is room for everything. I did have to bite the bullet and notch the chassis rail to make room for the radiator. I still have to cut and weld a plate on the inside edge of the chassis rails, to give it added strength. How I did it is included in the latest YouTube video. There is more about how the tilt front was built as well.

Here are a few pics of how it is coming along. Here is hood open with some of the engine parts being test fit.

Side view with tilt front open.

A view of the front. Put in a headlight to see what it looks like. I still need to adjust it better.

Side profile as it sits now. Cardboard template to fill in under the door area.

Here is the latest YouTube vid.

Link

Thanks for looking and I will keep working. Very Happy
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

First off, great progress. Just playing in pshop with some Studebaker hubcaps. Don't worry I will delete in a few hours. I like your wheels better anyway plus I have a fee that engine would destroy anything less. Cheers.
Machine Dr.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

vaugh bros.
Quote:
First off, great progress. Just playing in pshop with some Studebaker hubcaps. Don't worry I will delete in a few hours. I like your wheels better anyway plus I have a fee that engine would destroy anything less. Cheers.

Thanks for the kind words. The wheels kind of give it a Bonneville Salt Flats look. LOL
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: