Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

adding 74 heating system to 73 thing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fs71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: adding 74 heating system to 73 thing Reply with quote

Can a 74 heating system be added to a 73 ? Is the 74 heating system adequate ?How would you run the heating cables to the heater boxes?

The 73 thing I have no longer has the gas heater.

Thanks
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: adding 74 heating system to 73 thing Reply with quote

Take a look at this drawing:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not shown in the drawing are the steel "pipes" welded to the body under the rear seat bench that bring the warm air into the cabin, or the cable tubes you have mentioned.

Although this stuff could probably be cobbled together to "make it work", If you want a stock, original appearance with parts in good condition, you might be spending big money to pull this off. Especially if you will need to replace the exhaust system (and add heat exchangers) with a good quality Thing exhaust.

In the long run, it might be easier and cheaper to find a good used BN4 setup (and you won't need to repair all of the original gas heater holes).

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carsdlt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: adding 74 heating system to 73 thing Reply with quote

What he said... Wink

"If it works, don't fix it....let it break on its own."
lifeisgoodin29
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: adding 74 heating system to 73 thing Reply with quote

I’m going to do it. I have a 73 body on a 74 pan. I have a rear section with heater tube inlet pipes. I’m going to section it in. I have to replace the rocker panels so I will be adding a heater channel into them to bring the heat to the front. I am not planning on using it for defrost. I want both kinds of heat in my vehicle.
I did this years ago when I lived in Nebraska and was toasty warm all winter.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: adding 74 heating system to 73 thing Reply with quote

Years ago I added Bug heater boxes to my first '73. I channeled the flow from the left heater box under the rear seat and ducted the right heater box so that it blew up through the rear shelf. Put out lots of heat and when used in conjunction with the gas heater kept the entire cab fairly warm down to 15-20°F.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: