Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How many pictures before you decide
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: How many pictures before you decide Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
5-6 pics at the most. If I'm interested I'm gonna talk on the phone before I drive 2-3 hrs. If somebody needs more than 5-6 pics they are a tire kicker.

Yeah, definitely a talk on the phone, and a couple of pictures. That's how I bought my current vw
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: How many pictures before you decide Reply with quote

Will do . Any one got a tow bar we can use? If not gonna stop at Johns car corner on way down and buy one. Montgomery Vt, To Halifax Vt. Any one on the way? Plotch? You there?
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: How many pictures before you decide Reply with quote

6 am- head down driveway,go to tractor supply get magnetic towing lights,some safety chain and shackles.

10 am- pull into Johns car corner, buy tow bar, nice chat with John, shows us around shop, he has been quite the enthusiast since the 70's.

12 noon- arrive at owners , check out car, immediately know its not for me, it was probably 95% rust free, however . all chrome tin,no t-stat, heater boxes not hooked to fan, black paint over blue, peeling everywhere,all rubber shot/chewed on by porcupines, just not taken care of very well, was gonna offer 2500 but owner was firm at 4500.

keep looking, did not bother with pics
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How many pictures before you decide Reply with quote

To the OP, good topic

This post sheds some light on the what to do, and the what not to do when it comes to talking to a seller. I didn't realize that asking for more photos could possibly kill the deal.

I'll definitely keep it in mind.

thank you for the insight.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How many pictures before you decide Reply with quote

typically what I have done is 5-10 good photos showing overall condition. if someone wants more, we talk first. if they don't want to talk, next....

if they do, and want specific areas and it looks like it will be a time eater, I will tell them for $xx.xx I will give them what they want, but it's non refundable. if they buy the car, I will credit it to them. if they don't I have $xx.xx dollars to spend.

if I speak to them and they sound like the real deal, then they will pay the small fee to take the photos. if they bitch, 1) they don't value my time and 2) I tell them they are the only turd on the planet that wants those particular photos. if you're not willing to spend what amounts to the cost of a handle of captain, then you've already wasted enough of my time.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How many pictures before you decide Reply with quote

If you've heard about a car that's across town, no problem. But if you've learned of a car that's 2 hours away- there's a slim chance that guy doesn't own a smart phone. He is apparently connected to the world enough to advertise a car beyond the coffee shop cork board at the general merc.

He can text you a few pictures. If he won't- why does he deserve your money?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How many pictures before you decide Reply with quote

Hmm...

I bought the '73 Bus sight unseen, from Oregon to Kansas. Heck, I owned it for about a month before I got it down here! (A friend picked it up from the seller and stored it at her place until I arranged shipping to Kansas.) But I wanted a Westerner so there weren't many options. It took about 15 pics and a couple conversations with the seller.

When I bought the Thing, it was from a few not-that-great pics on a Samba ad and having a guy go look at it to verify the lack of rust. I drove from Manhattan Kansas to Dallas, rented a trailer, and picked it up. That was the first time I saw it. Turned around and drove right back-8 hours each way!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: How many pictures before you decide Reply with quote

You could always request the possibility of a Face time style chat for a realtime look-see.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: How many pictures before you decide Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
if they do, and want specific areas and it looks like it will be a time eater, I will tell them for $xx.xx I will give them what they want, but it's non refundable. if they buy the car, I will credit it to them. if they don't I have $xx.xx dollars to spend.

Exactly...
I use this tactic as well to eliminate time wasters...

I do the same with ppl who email me several dozen emails as to what part to use in an engine build.
First couple tips are free, but I make a living off of the years of "education" I've paid my dues for.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How many pictures before you decide Reply with quote

If its got fresh paint and you DONT have a set of dated before pictures, it aint happening.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How many pictures before you decide Reply with quote

crap Im not that smart....I just saw the pic on the sambo and took 11 grand in my pocket from fl to ft wane Indiana ....probably should of asked for pics and some other stuff...... but then i many not of went and stoped by my kids house in knoxville to surprize her...and she was pregnate!!! and almost had a cow!!!! of corse I may not of bought the 356 either,,,,,so.... thats a tripple edge sward.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: How many pictures before you decide Reply with quote

I wish car sellers would include 15-20 quality pictures in their ad including shots of the bad stuff. Be brave and write at least 100-200 words fully describing the situation. At that point if a potential buyer wants a specific shot or two it would not take too much of the seller's time.

Yes I have driven 100-150 miles to look at a car that did not work out. It happens. When looking for a single cab I drove 3 hours to see a 62 that had received a bit of a Jersey Loooker treatment in the 80s (fender flares, etc.). I had MY price set ahead of time but the seller was firm at $1500 more. I walked away. Months later I ended up with a 67 that was way worse. Wish I would have gone for the fender flares.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: How many pictures before you decide Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
why does he deserve your money?

Why does he deserve to waste my time? I have only done it a couple times. It really weeds out the time wasters...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: