Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Throttle body pic - idle issues
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jayinduluth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Throttle body pic - idle issues Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Does this look bad? Would someone recommend taking it off and cleaning up the gunk/buildup?

I'm having idle issues where I have the idle set high because when I would put van into gear, it would die/stall. Now the problem I have is that occasionally, it will die at a stop light or stop and go traffic. I had the injectors recently serviced by mr injector.

85 westy with a supposedly 91 2.1 engine, I say supposedly because I'm not exactly sure how to verify that as there a number of items that appear to be 1.9 related.
Thanks>
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle body pic - idle issues Reply with quote

these vans are antiques and so my opinion is that whenever you disassemble something, you clean and refurb as much as possible.

the throttle body will now unscrew with 2 phillips screws and your one screw i can see looks nice and not rusted! yes, clean the gunk out. there's been a fair amount of crankcase blowby schmuking up the throttle body, so it may portend to more severe things. but we're worriers here.

show a picture of then entire engine bay and we can tell you if it is a 2.1 or 1.9, at least in terms of the entire engine.

-dan

Last edited by DanHoug on Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle body pic - idle issues Reply with quote

Note that you will very likely want to use a new gasket when you reinstall it -- the gasket is a particular design, not something you can cut out of gasket material.
jayinduluth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle body pic - idle issues Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses, I have at least 5 relatives who graduated from Bemidji St, including my dad and one of my brothers.

Here is a pic from a few years ago, I can take a better one tomorrow if need be.

I have a new throttle body gasket from van cafe, so I'm good there.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle body pic - idle issues Reply with quote

That ^^^ has all the symptoms of a classic 1.9... Just sayin'...

Anyway, you're on the right track...DEFINITELY clean it up, dude... Wink

FWIW: Best things I've done to help my idle has been clean all grounds (including @ ECU), replace vacuum
hoses, PLUS clean -or- replace all FI connections (injectors, relays, ICV, ICU, alternator power, etc...)

Git 'r done! Cool

- Dave "Haav"

<<<Proud BHS Lumberjack AND BSU Beaver!>>>

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle body pic - idle issues Reply with quote

Just did mine. Engine degreaser and an old toothbrush is your friend. Be gentle.
jayinduluth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle body pic - idle issues Reply with quote

cleaned up throttle body, hopefully will get it back in today.

In other news, I've seen this plug since I've gotten the van -

I've peeled off most of the corroded cover stuff. Could never figure out where it went to. Well after I pulled the throttle body off, I saw where it went.

Is this plug for something for a 2.1?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle body pic - idle issues Reply with quote

I think that's an unhelpful diagnostic port. I have mine on my alternator. And for what its worth it looks like you have a 1.9l engine. Mine looks similar.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle body pic - idle issues Reply with quote

and CHANGE YOUR FUEL LINES before we read about you!!! looks awful original to me. they get so brittle they'll snap in two if you bend the ends together.

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jayinduluth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle body pic - idle issues Reply with quote

Yep that engine pic is from 2011, fuel lines have been changed since then!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: