Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 headliner bow length?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markbriggs37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: 1970 headliner bow length? Reply with quote

hi guys, i'm working to install a new headliner in a '70 deluxe, which did not have the previous headliner and bows with the car when it made its way to me. So, I don't have the old/original stuff to compare, unfortunately.

I ordered a new headliner and bows (and the little plastic booties for the bows), and am attempting installation. All 9 bows all are the same length = 5'. Does anyone know the correct length of the bows, and whether the foremost bow should be shorter than the others? It seems to me that these bow lengths are too long as trying to bend them into the groove is taking lots of pressure... I have read (many) other posts about headliners (lots of drama!) and am trying the approach of starting from the rear and going forward.

Also, I believe this bus had headliner vinyl material wrapping down from the roof around the windows to meet the panels (but, again, it was stripped so not entirely sure). The headliner kit I bought (from westcoastmetric) had two relatively large extra pieces of material, which I'm presuming are for covering these areas. Any advice on that process, or ideally any pictures from others with a '70 deluxe on what it's all supposed to look like when i'm done? I'm guessing there is supposed to be a seam between where these "side" headliner pieces get glued down to where the top headliner is pulled taught at the top?

ps. this forum is awesome and I really appreciate any advice you can offer.

thank you, M
markbriggs37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 headliner bow length? Reply with quote

as a followup, i'm pretty sure these purchased bows are definitely too long, as when I put one end in the inner channel on one side of the bus, then push it up along the edge of the interior roof to the other side, the bow is approximately 4" longer than the other inner channel; i.e. that free end sticks down well into where the window would be.

any votes on whether I should just cut the bows to approximate inner channel->inner channel and fit accordingly? anyone happen to have measurements on their bows?

thanks very much! -mark
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 headliner bow length? Reply with quote

I'll try to find one to measure tomorrow.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 headliner bow length? Reply with quote

Those are from my 74

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
markbriggs37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 headliner bow length? Reply with quote

lil-jinx - thank you very much, that is very helpful.

the bows that I have bought are beginning life straight... any chance I could ask you to pull the tape against one of the bows so I can get a "pre-bent" length?

also, looks for sure like one of the bows is shorter than the rest - i'm guessing that's the foremost bow?

thanks again for your help. -mark
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 headliner bow length? Reply with quote

total length is 53 inches,picture shows the bend.

1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
markbriggs37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 headliner bow length? Reply with quote

lil-jinx, that's an A+ reply, thank you!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 headliner bow length? Reply with quote

they vary by year, and the number of bows used. Sunroof buses vary from that too. Your best bet is to count the number of bow hoops in the new headliner and match that.
Efni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 headliner bow length? Reply with quote

I found that 54 Inches to work best in my 73 Standard.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: