Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need 181 Thing engine cage design ideas...
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Need 181 Thing engine cage design ideas... Reply with quote

Looking for off road 181 engine cage designs. Im going to stay vw engine and im trying to deside on an engine cage design. I kinda like the cage on this white car... Looks to give good rear impact protection as well as rock clearence while not looking big and bulky. Ideas? Do's or Don'ts?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Need 181 Thing engine cage design ideas... Reply with quote

After this, I went for a surplus as opposed to a surminus.Cage was 120 dom vs 095? frame. I think the frame took it worse than the cage. Also bent the solid motor mount, crushed header into pulley, which took out longblock.
Surminus

Surplus
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Need 181 Thing engine cage design ideas... Reply with quote

Ouch! Were you rear ended on the street?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Need 181 Thing engine cage design ideas... Reply with quote

Drunk in a 4x4 ram on a sunday afternoon.
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Need 181 Thing engine cage design ideas... Reply with quote

Your gonna need more motor to push all that steel!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546712
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Need 181 Thing engine cage design ideas... Reply with quote

As for the cage on that white car, it looks to me if you were rear ended on the street the cage will fold into the exhaust pushing the exhaust into the engine. or maybe go under lifting you off the ground.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Need 181 Thing engine cage design ideas... Reply with quote

Check. 125? Hp Plus some re-gearing. Smokes my kids 17 fiesta w/5 speed.
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Need 181 Thing engine cage design ideas... Reply with quote

weasel_ugs wrote:
As for the cage on that white car, it looks to me if you were rear ended on the street the cage will fold into the exhaust pushing the exhaust into the engine. or maybe go under lifting you off the ground.

It has a type 4 engine and it and sticks out the back quite a bit more than mine will

Last edited by Metal Twister on Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Need 181 Thing engine cage design ideas... Reply with quote

I must be a f#@ktard magnet. Typical flaps bumper. Took out the pushrods/tubes on the right side along with right side header and a couple exhaust studs. Sorry about the 1985 pics.

Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Need 181 Thing engine cage design ideas... Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
I must be a f#@ktard magnet. Typical flaps bumper. Took out the pushrods/tubes on the right side along with right side header and a couple exhaust studs. Sorry about the 1985 pics.

So your suggesting not to run an engine cage at all Shocked Shocked what would you have distroyed if the cage wasnt there?
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Need 181 Thing engine cage design ideas... Reply with quote

Make it stout. Little bit of tubing is cheap compared to engine work. Don't bolt the top tubes to just the firewall, it will punch thru the sheet metal. The baja had the style of top mount that bolted on with the upper shock bolts. Leave some room in back so if it does deform, it doesn't take out something else out. The baja took a lite hit from the drivers door of a car that spun out trying to stop at a red lite in the snow with a little old lady behind the wheel. The rail made it about a mile chasing the hit and run driver before it lost oil pressure. DON'T use the type of skid plate that bolts to the engine case. Got the baja bugs and buggies book? It's a little dated, but still has lots of good info.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Need 181 Thing engine cage design ideas... Reply with quote

Be sure the bumper is no stronger than the cockpit part of the car. You would be better off if the engine takes one for the team than the team taking one for the engine. I've seen both situations.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Need 181 Thing engine cage design ideas... Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Be sure the bumper is no stronger than the cockpit part of the car. You would be better off if the engine takes one for the team than the team taking one for the engine. I've seen both situations.

Very good point... I will make sure to keep that in mind.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: