Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1950 bus seats
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthew smith1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: 1950 bus seats Reply with quote

Ok, not that clued up on rear seats!! I'm trying to find out what I should have in my Nov '50 kombi!
Would it be a 2/3 middle 4 leg seat or a 6 legged seat? I've never seen the og floor so don't know what plates or brackets were in there.
Any help or leads would be much appreciated
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950 bus seats Reply with quote

I guess you need to:
a) Get hold of some old pictures of the bus (or its original cargo floor, pre replacement)
b) Get the birth certificate - long shot but maybe that'll specify the seat situation
c) Get together a few very early (50/51) kombi pictures - either period or of very original buses - to see what middle seat was more likely

^looks like this one is a '50 kombi with pleated full width middle seat
matthew smith1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950 bus seats Reply with quote

Cheers Chris 👍🏻
Ok I'll start digging through old pics! Only original bus I've seen is Merz's but that pre 5050! As mine is a late model 😉 I don't know if it should be a 6 legger! A Portuguese seat has been ruled out as mine is a factory kombi not a panel van that was then converted in Portugal!
Off to look at the other Portuguese 50 in next few weeks and see what seats that has..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lazaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950 bus seats Reply with quote

This 50 Taxi is late enough to have all around gutters (so after VIN 5050) and it has the 4 legs seat...

Lazaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950 bus seats Reply with quote

Also, the AB51 which is much later (jan 51) has a 4 legs seat !

streetwagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1950 bus seats Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:
I guess you need to:
a) Get hold of some old pictures of the bus (or its original cargo floor, pre replacement)
b) Get the birth certificate - long shot but maybe that'll specify the seat situation
c) Get together a few very early (50/51) kombi pictures - either period or of very original buses - to see what middle seat was more likely

Where's this pic from Chris?

Vin between 2818 and 5050, Panel van vents, and either Swedish spec, RHD, or doubledoor. Bit of a hybrid, especially with the sunroof. It doesn't appear to have the flipper part of the 6 leg in the photo either?
matthew smith1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950 bus seats Reply with quote

Thank you Florian:-)
Soo looks like I'm after a 4 leg middle seat and also correct rear seat?? Anyone got a spare set kicking around in their garage they don't need? 😊
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950 bus seats Reply with quote

streetwagens wrote:
RockStock wrote:
I guess you need to:

Where's this pic from Chris?

Vin between 2818 and 5050, Panel van vents, and either Swedish spec, RHD, or doubledoor. Bit of a hybrid, especially with the sunroof. It doesn't appear to have the flipper part of the 6 leg in the photo either?

def left hand drive (see the mirror). Back then did they already make swedish spec buses in the factory? i have seen one where they swapped the cargo doors to the driver side on the left. Could be a double door of course, my personal preference Smile

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950 bus seats Reply with quote

Picture is from this German bus book, Dai

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950 bus seats Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:
Picture is from this German bus book, Dai

clearly a problem with the description: the sunroof kombi in the middle is clearly not a 52 model....

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1950 bus seats Reply with quote

Yes. The two-tone panel in picture 3 gets described as a 54 too, when it's clearly pre52 with the ascending mirror & no rear bumper.

Makes you want to rummage in the picture box this author had access to, and actually do a decent job of pulling out the proper interesting ones!
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1950 bus seats Reply with quote

That sunroof bus is proper interesting though, it raises lots of questions. Imagine finding that today Cool

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
Fusca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950 bus seats Reply with quote

That's the bus from the other side. My guess is that's the prototype for samba and double door Bus made out of a transporter 24E Smile. I do not mention that seat in there. That other picture shows a 5050- 22A bus with 4 legs seat. My guess they introduced the 6 leg in April 1951 with the Samba on the IAA in Frankfurt. But how know's and how know's if there were an option on 21A-F ore 22A-E for 6 leg seat to april 1951.
What is the oldest spare part catalogue known, that might help.
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950 bus seats Reply with quote

Does the seat look a little shorter than full width?
So passengers could get to the rear seat before seat-back flippers came along?
4 or 5-leg, positioned centrally?

Bus was also discussed a little here, p100 into p101
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...start=1980

Initial Gallery post
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1165951
DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1950 bus seats Reply with quote

Fusca wrote:

My guess they introduced the 6 leg in April 1951 with the Samba on the IAA in Frankfurt.

I would agree with this. I thought the short seat phased out with the early details like cast emblem, no rear window, finned doglegs, etc. That stuff went into early '51... Sometime around March.

I remember Mark L. saying his old '51 kombi (City TV bus) took the short seat. That bus is March '51...

Fusca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950 bus seats Reply with quote

This Spare part catalogue that I think it is from 3.1951 gives options for 4 leg middle seat. Check the Retainers left and right there are 6 Retainers listed for 22A Model (Samba before Samba). That means 4 on the horizontal rail on partition panel and 2 on the back of the 4 leg middle seat. The rest of the catalogue is a little confusing. My guess 22808103 a/b (long horizontal rail) is for Buses 03 - 04.1951 and up. They supposed to have no more flange for the vertical small rail. I do not have that Catalogue so can not check the seats. My guess there is the 6-Leg seat pictured. Who can help out with pictures of that Catalogue?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: