Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1977 Westy renovation project thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Keeping busy before this weekend when , YES I am going to pull my engine first time in 12 years, I have read Bentley , I have Read Tom Wilson...boy I need a year to read that...and I have done it before, 12 years ago.

So since it is dark at 430 pm, I do little things ...sorta and take things apart till the weekend when i have more light and its not freezing....so here are some pics about spray paint matches I saw somewhere, wish there was a thread watcher to keep track of where you have been...ummh maybe not....so the satin eden paint is close but not close enough, I was thrilled when I first painted it on a piece of cardboard , but the comparison was close but no cigar....save your money....I will paint my accessories with this paint.

So on to the swivel seat. Took mine apart, very dirty etc. took two people to remove the seat. So my initial reaction is poor design on the swivel scraping against metal , thoughts on that, saw residue grease...hmmm, and the plastic tracks one was broke, where to find them...thoughts are always appreciated , knowledge is best.
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

Clean up everything really well and grease per Bentley where it swivels. It works perfectly when it’s clean and greased. Adam at NLA VW parts repops the plastic sliders for the rails. But there may be a distributor in this country. I would email him and ask. You could also check the classifieds for used original.
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:
Clean up everything really well and grease per Bentley where it swivels.

Sorry I have scoured Bentley and can't find it...help please.

Jerry

Thanks for the tip
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

Maybe I was wrong about it being in the Bentley manual. I know it’s in the orange shop manual which greatly covers the late Westy. If my memory is correct you just need to put a good smear of heavy grease on the circular area where the the metal touches the seat base. Just use you your pointer finger and go around the circle where the paint has rubbed off. You should clean it and touch up the paint first then do the smear. Put a little dab on pivot point where the release for seat to turn is. The tracks need to be really clean and greased as well. Don’t go crazy with grease in the tracks. If you would like I will take some pics from the manual and email them to you. Hope this helps.
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:
If you would like I will take some pics from the manual and email them to you. Hope this helps.

Perfect more knowledge is better mostly

Jerruy
fez68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

why don't you just get 4 drive up ramps and the whole bus will be up high to work underneath?
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

fez68 wrote:
why don't you just get 4 drive up ramps and the whole bus will be up high to work underneath?

Actually the set up I have works great pulled the woman out of the hole today or I should say tonight , freezing cold , flashlights and all that, geez
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

fez68 wrote:

I have looked at all options and really like my wide and wooden chocks...they are perfect and I feel really safe under my vehicle

cheers to safety
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

Just got the engine outa the hole, cant call her a her anymore...anyway anyone know someone who knows a 091 tranny and can service it , never failed just need a check, sorry transmission , not tranny
pc
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

Okay I need help and I am getting some, feedback is appreciate, got the engine out, where to now, something blew 12 years ago, maybe 120 years ago, want it spiffy and rebuilt by a professional, no hacks, no gex , and no avp apparently fallen by the wayside their builder died, no unkowns
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread : Engine out Reply with quote

Well got left in the dust, I am too slow , 500 photos to come, so I have gotten the beast out of Olga and broken it down, here are my immediate questions, I was driving a 100 miles after new rings and got an awful noise , now I know what, the connecting rod shell bearing on #4 literally got eatin, some damage on the crank, but overall not catastrophic, unusual wear on push rods, why so help advice on where to go from here. The case appears to be free of cracks, how to check oil galleys etc. lost in the wilderness of the VW forest

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

I'm not an expert, but you'll need to break that apart and clean out every little passage at least. Because that bearing is everywhere now. Sorry
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

As Spike said, you will need to strip the motor down to the case halves and clean everything thoroughly.

Id suggest the core plugs will need removing when you do the flushing of the galleries to ensure thorough cleaning.
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

MorkC68 wrote:
As Spike said, you will need to strip the motor down to the case halves and clean everything thoroughly.

Id suggest the core plugs will need removing when you do the flushing of the galleries to ensure thorough cleaning.

I think this is a oil distribution problem , reading Tom Wilsons on oil distribution

Thanks for the input[/quote]
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
I'm not an expert, but you'll need to break that apart and clean out every little passage at least. Because that bearing is everywhere now. Sorry

Thanks for the input, will post the results
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

popuppopdog wrote:
MorkC68 wrote:

I think this is a oil distribution problem , reading Tom Wilsons on oil distribution

Thanks for the input
[/quote]

I hope you resolve the issue easily.

When we built our 1911 type 4, we got 12" long pipe cleaners and fed them through oil galleries where possible to check for blockages then blew them out with an air line.

Out of curiosity, has the motor been rebuilt at all?

Simple reason, when we put the new main bearings into the case, we found one of the oil holes in the bearing like this one below:

the blue dot (new Silverline bearing on the right) is where the hole should be compared to the genuine VW bearing on the left.

Just a thought.
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

MorkC68 wrote:
popuppopdog wrote:
MorkC68 wrote:

Thanks for the input

I hope you resolve the issue easily.

When we built our 1911 type 4, we got 12" long pipe cleaners and fed them through oil galleries where possible to check for blockages then blew them out with an air line.

Out of curiosity, has the motor been rebuilt at all?

Simple reason, when we put the new main bearings into the case, we found one of the oil holes in the bearing like this one below:

the blue dot (new Silverline bearing on the right) is where the hole should be compared to the genuine VW bearing on the left.

Just a thought.[/quote]

I agree, and I hate to tell you the truth, engine being redone now , more later, but I did not change the oil for 20 years, ridiculous , I was not very mechanical....I dont know what to say ...
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

Mystery part, was confounded by this find, I know there are a lot of smart people out there please let me know what you think of this VW part I found.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

popuppopdog wrote:
Mystery part, was confounded by this find, I know there are a lot of smart people out there please let me know what you think of this VW part I found.

Do you have any other pictures? Does it go through like a pipe/tube? and where did you find it?
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
popuppopdog wrote:

Do you have any other pictures? Does it go through like a pipe/tube? and where did you find it?

Found it in the gas tank. ??
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: