Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

J4 Emergency Light Switch 1966
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: J4 Emergency Light Switch 1966 Reply with quote

So I've been chasing wires around for awhile now. Previously I posted a photo of a gray wire, coming out of one of the harnesses below the speedo. Here's a revisit to that photo.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The wire was loose and not landed, although everything was working fine when I started poking around and removed the wind shield wiper motor and parcel tray.

Given the wire length and the fact that I found an unused terminal on the J4 Emergency Light Switch. Here is a photo of the wire landed on the unsued terminal.

Does anyone know the function of the gray wire? Does this look right?

A bit over my head. Thanks all.

dgsaz
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: J4 Emergency Light Switch 1966 Reply with quote

That's a ground terminal for the switch, you may get smoke when it's mounted in the metal dash.

I haven't read the 3 other threads you have going on this, but you are aware that's not a 66 style hazard switch. right? Starting a new thread for every new wire you find makes it hard for all of us to follow along with what's happening.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: J4 Emergency Light Switch 1966 Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
That's a ground terminal for the switch, you may get smoke when it's mounted in the metal dash.

I haven't read the 3 other threads you have going on this, but you are aware that's not a 66 style hazard switch. right? Starting a new thread for every new wire you find makes it hard for all of us to follow along with what's happening.

1966 hazard switch? I don't know. It's been there for 20 years at least. I'm still playing with the original 3 mystery wires. I though I was down to two. To recap the other two mystery wires are red and tan. Both behind the speeedo, both with female terminals.

The PO did a 6/12 conversion. He also did a work around of the original flasher 211-953-227 B. All of this helps to complicate the trouble shooting process.

Tomorrow I think I'll go ahead, hook up the batteries and start flipping switches.

Let you all know what happens.

dgsaz
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: J4 Emergency Light Switch 1966 Reply with quote

You might check out

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7972322#7972322

The 63 has may of the same wiring pieces including that gray wire.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: J4 Emergency Light Switch 1966 Reply with quote

A '66 has a one year only switch.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coolerthanelvis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: J4 Emergency Light Switch 1966 Reply with quote

dgsaz wrote:

Is this "harness" coming from your turn signal switch?? That is the only bundle of wires coming from inside the speedo pod. If so, then those two wires are for your high-beam headlight relay.
SV2s member #420
'68 Westy

"Do or do not, there is no try."
-Silent Bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: J4 Emergency Light Switch 1966 Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

Here's what I have:

The PO installed this in 1990 or so as part of a "work around" for the flasher 211 953 227 B. I don't know the background on why this was necessary. I believe the 9 pins were scarce or it might have been part of the 6/12 conversion.

dgsaz
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: J4 Emergency Light Switch 1966 Reply with quote

coolerthanelvis wrote:
dgsaz wrote:

Is this "harness" coming from your turn signal switch?? That is the only bundle of wires coming from inside the speedo pod. If so, then those two wires are for your high-beam headlight relay.

The gray wire in question is in a harness going TO the speedo/steering wheel. THe gray and a black wire drop out of the harness before it goes into the steering column.

In other related news:

Today I grounded the batteries and started throwing switches.

From the solenoid feed auxiliary panel I've got:

Rear light interior
Radio
Fog Lights
Oil Cooler Fan
USB outlets

Main System / Key Off

Headlights
Bright headlights
Running LIghts
Tail Lights
Licence plate light
Emergency Flasher

Tomorrow I'll install the gauges into the dash and start checking them of operation.

dgsaz
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: J4 Emergency Light Switch 1966 Reply with quote

The switch you have in there looks like a baywindow switch or even from a bug.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: J4 Emergency Light Switch 1966 Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

yeah, but that's not a bus switch ^^. The one he has looks like the one in my 66 SO44.

Here's mine

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: