Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

House fire reflections
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: House fire reflections Reply with quote

A couple weeks ago, my wife, kids and I had a free Saturday morning together when I got a call from my neighbor and I will never forget his matter-of-fact tone and these words... “Dude, your house is on fire.”

The house is still standing but the fire torched one bedroom and created signifant smoke and heat damage throughout the house. It is uninhabitable. So the past couple weeks have been spent in a hotel, helping our kids process the loss and change, trying to establish a new routine, and coordinating countless details.

To make a long story short, no one was hurt, our dog is healing after three days in an oxygen chamber, State Farm is treating us well, and the entire interior will be taken down to the bones. These are times when you realize how awesome your neighbors, family, friends, church community, and of course the firefighters really are.

And finally to make this relevant for this audience, I thought I’d share some reflections related to my Ghia:

1. My garage firewall and tightly closed door saved my garage and Ghia. The main culprit is not the fire but the smoke that can obviously squeeze in through the tiniest of cracks.

2. Homeowners insurance would not have covered my Ghia but it would have covered all the bins of spare parts. I would’ve needed to use the comprehensive coverage on my auto policy for the Ghia.

3. I haven’t driven the Ghia for about three weeks now since it’s less accessible. Plus I won’t be able to work on it for the many months we’ll be out of the house. A fire really dampens your life beyond just the inconveniences of being homeless!

4. Firefighters love Ghias too. One of them pointed out that it was untouched and complimented it, bringing me back to the things that give me joy!

5. And old fart alert... The cause of the fire was a hoverboard explosion. Beware, it really does happen. We were all fine as kids with LEGO’s and matchbox cars, and I think our kids will be fine too without hoverboards, RC drones, and other needless battery operated toys. I’ve always had mixed feelings about electric/hybrid cars too and now I love my Ghia even more!

And to those who will say “pics or it never happened”

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by J1 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:35 am; edited 1 time in total
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: House fire and lessons learned Reply with quote

Wow, I'm sorry to hear of your trials and tribulations, more, much more thankful that you and you family are safe.

It's at times like these that we realise how unimportant our hobby cars are...low down the list...but nice to have a simple diversion when life gets on top of you.

All hail to fire-fighters...we often forget them until we desperately need them.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: House fire reflections Reply with quote

yikes... at first blush i thought this was going to be a ghia flambe story. thankful everyone is safe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: House fire reflections Reply with quote

I've attended many a fire scene: factories, office buildings, farms, crops, forests, coal spontaneously combusting in a ship's holds, an oil pipeline and even a tank farm holding millions of gallons of chemicals. But none of those were as emotionally devastating as the house fires. There is something soul-destroying in a house fire, but at the same time, it tends to bring a community out to work together to repair the damage.

I'm glad you and your family have come through this unscathed and that you have found the support you deserve from friends, family, and not the least, the Ghia community here.
Karly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: House fire reflections Reply with quote

Glad everyone is ok (and your dog is feeling better!)

Hope the rebuild process goes quickly and smoothly and you get back home soon.
kgj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: House fire reflections Reply with quote

From experience, smoke damage and fire are really destructive.
Sorry for your losses but at least all the really important things in your life are safe.
J
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: House fire reflections Reply with quote

Glad all are ok!!
The pics of the damage are intense.
So...guess no hoverboards for Christmas, roller skates only.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: House fire reflections Reply with quote

I can not begin to understand how you are feeling but I am glad to hear you and you family are relatively unscathed.

Best wishes,
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Don Radomski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: House fire reflections Reply with quote

Went thru the same thing a few years back, it’s a hard journey but know you and your family will come out stronger in the end!
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: House fire reflections Reply with quote

Thanks for the well wishes. We are indeed growing stronger through this experience, individually and as a family.

Looks like my 2018 will be dominated by the restoration of the house not the Ghia. I will be thinking more about walls, flooring, and countertops instead of heater channels, battery trays, and headliners! The Ghia will just have to wait and be driven around with its bandages and warts in full glory. That’s called personality, right?!
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: House fire reflections Reply with quote

Everything material can be replaced and be thankful nobody was injured. I was sleeping one night about 2 years ago and woke up to flickering light. The neighbors place was on fire about 10 feet away. He didnt make it out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: