Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bucket list Build part 1 - A fiberglass Clone
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
biotex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Bucket list Build part 1 - A fiberglass Clone Reply with quote

I've always wanted a VW dune buggy as many of you will understand. I have been putting it off for way too long so I kept an eye on the usual places for a deal, or at least what I felt was a deal, based upon my limited experiences. I immediately found a candidate, but it was 1,000 miles away. Living in West Texas you get used to having to travel long distances for just about anything you want to do, so I hooked up a trailer to my P/U truck and headed out. I pretty much bought it sight unseen, as I only had one conversation by phone and 4 pictures to go by. The buggy supposedly had low time on a rebuilt engine, but the tub was off and it was to come with a lot of parts. The deal was to pay the seller when I arrived, so at least I had the option to pass on it, but honestly there was no way I was going to do a 2,000 mile round trip and not come home with something!

I arrived at his shop and transferred the buggy from his trailer to mine along with a couple of boxes of parts. We did this around 11PM at night under a street lamp, so I really didn't get to see what I was purchasing. I had driven straight thru and I was planning on driving straight back so I didn't really care at this point. I was back on the road within an hour at most. I made it half way back home and decided to not pretend I was 19 again, so I slept for 2 hours and went the rest of the way no problems.

Now I have to come clean and admit that what "I Want" is a rail buggy. Hence the Part 1 in the title. I'm building this one for the wifey so I can justify spending the money on mine (part 2) LOL. Also I can use hers as a learning tool so I can do a better job. Wink Wink!

So, the next day I hooked up a fresh battery, installed an IV drip for fuel ( I use Aviation gas) and gave the engine a spin. She started right up and actually sounded perfect to me. Turns out the distributor has a pertronix installed, and there is a newish weber looking carburetor, so this probably had a lot to do with her firing up so easily. I took a video with my phone but not sure I can upload it here. I'll work on that. I do know how to upload pics, so here are some before shots.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As you can see, my man cave is set up for me to have fun with old cars and such. I recently added the lift which I wish I had done 20 years ago. Best money you can spend. So anyways, to get on with my opening story...

I want to finish this buggy ASAP so I can get to work on my rail project. I ordered a new Berrien Cruiser kit and it is sitting in the corner waiting his turn.

Last edited by biotex on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
biotex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bucket list Build part 1 - A fiberglass Clone Reply with quote

The buggy has a link pin front, swing arm rear. I plan to keep this as is. A buddy sold me a complete rolling chassis with a froze up engine, for $100. It has ball joint front and IRS rear. I plan to use it on my rail project when the time comes.
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bucket list Build part 1 - A fiberglass Clone Reply with quote

Are you planning on driving it or the sand rail on TX streets? Read the thread here on TX not registering any dune buggy or kit cars for street use. Even if its on a VW pan but doesn't look like a VW - you'll have a yard ornament. Sure glad I'm not in great state of TX with their new Draconian car laws.
biotex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucket list Build part 1 - A fiberglass Clone Reply with quote

Wolfgangdieter wrote:
Are you planning on driving it or the sand rail on TX streets? Read the thread here on TX not registering any dune buggy or kit cars for street use. Even if its on a VW pan but doesn't look like a VW - you'll have a yard ornament. Sure glad I'm not in great state of TX with their new Draconian car laws.

I was planning on attending the DMV board meeting that is coming up tomorrow, but the weather isn't cooperating. Supposed to be icy streets and it is an 8 hour drive. I'm very aware of the situation, and am sure hoping for a favorable outcome of Faron and Ron Hinkles hard work.

In the event it just doesn't pan out, I have property with access to hundreds of miles of dirt roads. They are private roads, so no registration needed. Google Terlingua TX...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bucket list Build part 1 - A fiberglass Clone Reply with quote

If it were my projects I would be doing it the other way around. IRS on the clone and swing axle on the rail. My two are as yours and I wish it was not so. The rail is strictly off road where rear camber angle is not that important.

Just personal preference.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Bucket list Build part 1 - A fiberglass Clone Reply with quote

I also would do ball joint/IRS on the street car.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
biotex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Bucket list Build part 1 - A fiberglass Clone Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:

Interesting! It seems that All I read anymore is people installing IRS in place of their swing arm suspensions. I'll have to investigate this. It's not too late for me to remedy, because a couple of days ago I purchased two rails to be used for parts for my build. They both have swing arm suspensions, so I have plenty of parts to play with. I found out years ago it is cheaper to buy someone elses project complete than it is to buy individual parts. Now I have 4 engines. 2 of them run. I also got 2 bus transmissions in the deal. Oh, and one of the buggies comes with a trailer!

I pick them up in 2 days from now. Another long trip across Texas!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucket list Build part 1 - A fiberglass Clone Reply with quote

biotex wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

Interesting! It seems that All I read anymore is people installing IRS in place of their swing arm suspensions. I'll have to investigate this. It's not too late for me to remedy, because a couple of days ago I purchased two rails to be used for parts for my build. They both have swing arm suspensions, so I have plenty of parts to play with. I found out years ago it is cheaper to buy someone elses project complete than it is to buy individual parts. Now I have 4 engines. 2 of them run. I also got 2 bus transmissions in the deal. Oh, and one of the buggies comes with a trailer!

I pick them up in 2 days from now. Another long trip across Texas!

Good job!

My sand rail came with a seized swing axle transmission and I had a Bus IRS sitting in the yard so I cut off the complete swing axle set up and welded the Bus one in. The only down side is the Bus torsion bars are way too stiff for a light weight rail. It could easily hammer the head off a woodpecker booting across the field! I fixed it with a set of fat quad tires at 4 psi tire pressure.

I love the Bus transaxle for it's lower gearing for hill climbing.

I want to change my street buggy to IRS for better road handling and tire wear.

I hear the link pin front end is stronger than the ball joint one for off road use.
biotex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucket list Build part 1 - A fiberglass Clone Reply with quote

Made the trip, and brought some goodies. More on that later.
Here is the tub in primer sealer ready for paint.

biotex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucket list Build part 1 - A fiberglass Clone Reply with quote

And here is the tub after paint. I did all the body work and paint by myself. I had never painted a complete vehicle before. No runs which is amazing because when I was spraying the sealer, I had a couple. I made a mental note to not spray so heavy in one coat but rather spray 3 coats of base. Then 3 clear coats.

Notice I cut out the area behind the license plate? It was hitting the air cleaner.
I chose this color because I went to the local body shop and asked the owner what color of left over paints he had that I could get cheap. He showed me this green and I knew it was meant to be. I have $300 in the entire paint job including the urethane sealer.
biotex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucket list Build part 1 - A fiberglass Clone Reply with quote

SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucket list Build part 1 - A fiberglass Clone Reply with quote

Green is my favorite color. Almost any shade of green is fine with me! Cool

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Bucket list Build part 1 - A fiberglass Clone Reply with quote

Looks great, what an amazing difference a single color can make.
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Bucket list Build part 1 - A fiberglass Clone Reply with quote

Looks like Grabber Green.... Cool. I think buggies should be colorful.

...and really I love that you shot it yourself. Did you build a temporary booth? Kudos.

Jim
Manx #2614
biotex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucket list Build part 1 - A fiberglass Clone Reply with quote

Wetstuff wrote:
Looks like Grabber Green.... Cool. I think buggies should be colorful.

...and really I love that you shot it yourself. Did you build a temporary booth? Kudos.

Jim

You know, I thought about it, but this time of year there are no bugs out, I picked a day with zero wind and shot it at 70°F. I used a brand new devilbiss gun I had bought just for this. I have no idea how to adjust the knobs, so I just shot it as it was set from the factory. I seemed to be pretty close judging by the way the paint turned out. A little bit of orange peel, but probably because I didn't add any O.P. eliminator to the paint.

I covered up some of mt stuff in the shop with sheets to keep off overspray, but honestly there was hardly any.
biotex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucket list Build part 1 - A fiberglass Clone Reply with quote

heywebonya wrote:
Looks great, what an amazing difference a single color can make.

I was very tempted to leave the tub in primer. I kind of wanted it white in the beginning. Then I decided to just go for it!
biotex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucket list Build part 1 - A fiberglass Clone Reply with quote

I purchased a 12v wiper assembly to replace the 6V system that my buggy originally had. When I hold it up for fitment, I would need to make the two wiper arm holes about 1/4" wider. Do you think if I elongate each hole about 1/8" that I would be causing a can of worms? I think a chrome washer on top would hide the hole, but just wondering if I'm missing anything...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucket list Build part 1 - A fiberglass Clone Reply with quote

Great color and nice first time spray job! Yes Buggies NEED to be bright colors!
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Bucket list Build part 1 - A fiberglass Clone Reply with quote

B-T.. Outside! ..you are a lucky bugger—good for you.

I really like this SPI company for their clears. (I shoot my paddleboards) The boss did a nice explanation about adjusting your gun. You can up your rank from 'Sprayer' to 'Painter'.

https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/adjusting-your-gun

Cheers. Jim
Manx #2614
biotex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucket list Build part 1 - A fiberglass Clone Reply with quote

Wetstuff wrote:
B-T.. Outside! ..you are a lucky bugger—good for you.

I really like this SPI company for their clears. (I shoot my paddleboards) The boss did a nice explanation about adjusting your gun. You can up your rank from 'Sprayer' to 'Painter'.

https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/adjusting-your-gun

Cheers. Jim

I really need to learn how to adjust the gun for sure. I will check out that link. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: