Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Bumper bracket leaves
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Rear Bumper bracket leaves Reply with quote

Am I confused or are the proper rear bumper brackets for splits only 2 leaves and don't have that 3 leaf of steel in the middle? Or is that what the fronts are, and rears always had 3 leaves?

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Bumper bracket leaves Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Well at least I know where I got this recollection from. My old '50 sunroof, I had made a custom bumper brake light bracket that I am now trying to re-create. When I got this split, it has a 2 leave rear bumper bracket, but they were bolted together, which we know is wrong. So the question is, was there ever a 2 leave rear bracket on splits??

I remember well after this picture was taken, I scavenged the middle leave from somewhere, took these apart and welded them together. So I'm thinking that they were always 3 leaves on the back....2 on the front.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Bumper bracket leaves Reply with quote

In my experience I've never come across anything other than 2 leaf 'bumper irons' on the earlier cars, with the 3 leaf being available later. Early cars had brackets which came in two parts, which weren't welded together. I suspect that was what was fitted to the car in the picture, hence the nuts & bolts to keep them together.

When fitting 3 leaf brackets, you see how stretched the wing/bracket grommet becomes, and doesn't look correct. It was always pointed out to me that when fitted, for example to strengthen the bumper for fitment of a tow bar, in the event of a bump, rather than the brackets deforming to absorb the energy, this energy is transferred into the bodywork, often causing tertiary damage/deformation elsewhere within the bodywork. As such 2 leaf irons are a preferable fitment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D. Haviland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Bumper bracket leaves Reply with quote

As far as I know, 2. My zwitter, which for whatever reason, had had the rear bumper cut off at the brackets. I'm thinking in a theft while it sat in a field in the early seventies. Anyway, those cut brackets which are shown in pics from the seventies when it was found and when I purchased it were of the 2 piece variety.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Bumper bracket leaves Reply with quote

I have some that have been in a box of old parts since the mid 70's. 2 sets. 2 in front, 3 in rear. I doubt these were aftermarket. Maybe a later version from VW?

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Bumper bracket leaves Reply with quote

My oval has 3 leaves in the rear bars. I know at some point they were 3x in the back. Based on the comments above, maybe splits were 2 though.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Bumper bracket leaves Reply with quote

The illustration from a 1950 parts list indicates that both front & rear were only two leaf. BUT it's only a diagram not a photograph.

Looking at the same illustration from a 1952 parts book you could say that the front brackets have three leaves but again it's only a parts book drawing.

In the 1952 book it does give a different bracket for the front and rear from Chassis number 1-397 023 (Oct 1952)

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
FRK Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Bumper bracket leaves Reply with quote

As far as I know the split came with two on the rear. Not sure when they went from two to three but my July '53 oval i had had three. I don't know how many the Zwiter should have. My survivor '50 11g has two on the rear. I can take pictures of them later today if you like.
50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Bumper bracket leaves Reply with quote

My 51 has two leaves in the rear.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Bumper bracket leaves Reply with quote

Great thanks all. That settles it....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: