Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Good exhaust header system for 1776??
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fifthcenturycheese Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Good exhaust header system for 1776?? Reply with quote

Hello, I am going to put a mild 1776 in a driver 67 and want to run a good header exhaust system like I had on my original car years ago. I think the one I ran back in the early 80's was a Treuhaft. Who makes a good one like that one now? Thanks, Mike
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Good exhaust header system for 1776?? Reply with quote

Many of these available do not seem to fit so well, and need to be "massaged" to fit decently.

When I resurrected my 1970 last year, I had a quiet muffler of mine, bought an EMPI header that fit the muffler (I was too cheap to buy a whole exhaust at that time).

Yes, it fit the muffler fine, but I had to drill the holes in the header larger to get some wiggle room at the rear cylinder head studs to even have a chance of getting it to fit. I cannot remember if I had to drill the heat riser holes similarly, maybe that's somewhere in my resurrection thread. Anyway, figure to get all the nuts and bolts connected loosely, then tighten stuff down; I even had to loosen the heat exchanger nuts to get that header to fit on. Ground-down wrenches will be your friend here, and I do recommend brass nuts for the cylinder head nuts (and they have a smaller wrench size, so more clearance).

So I say get a system locally where you can return it easily if it doesn't fit. Remember, the law of merchantability is a warranty implied by law that goods are reasonably fit for the general purpose for which they are sold.

I run a similar quiet exhaust system on my 1835cc engine in my 1971, fine.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Good exhaust header system for 1776?? Reply with quote

I had an EMPI GT style exhausst for a few years and my 1776 never ran right. I put a stock style muffler back on and it runs perfect. Again, some of it was fuel mixture, but I attribute to it restricting a lot. In other words...avoid the EMPI GT exhaust!

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Good exhaust header system for 1776?? Reply with quote

Are your heads stock or do the have enlarged exhaust ports? And do you need to run heaters? All of this makes a difference.
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Good exhaust header system for 1776?? Reply with quote

http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/3603.htm

Assuming your heads are on the mild side (stock valves with a little P&P work or similar) the streetster headers from CB Performance are hands down the best bang for the buck for that style set up. it comes in dual muffler and hide away versions as well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: