Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What do I have? Diff-lock? (62 split bus)
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jootman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: What do I have? Diff-lock? (62 split bus) Reply with quote

Hi all,
My name is Joost from the Netherlands, I bought this bus a couple of months ago off thesamba and have since been busy getting it on the road again

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is the result so far

Last week I passed technic check and I got it registered to hit the Dutch and Belgium roads

I want to make it suitable for light offroading so I put a 9000lb winch in front, made custom bumpers (not sure about them because they limit ground clearance)

Also I bought a gearbox with some kind of locking differential, and I wondered if anyone has seen something like this?

On left side of the gearbox 2cables stick out, when I pull them some kind of differential lock seems to be activated. (both wheels spin at the same time)
I made a bug handbrake in front to activate them.

Can anyone tell me something more about this system? I have not tested it offroad, only in my garage. It seems to work. When I start the bus with one wheel jacked up , both wheels start spinning.

This week I will lift the bus some more by putting a 'cut and turn' early bay front axle and respline the rear.
about lifting the rear: I have seen the dropped gearbox idea on several theads on this site. I like the idea but this is a future plan for me. For now I just want to respline it, can anyone tell me how far I can go without breaking things? I am afraid I put the axles in a strange angle when I lift it too much.

Thanks for the input!
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: What do I have? Diff-lock? (62 split bus) Reply with quote

I have never seen a locking one before Thanks for showing us. Hot VW magazine last year had an article on the angle axles go and what to do about it. I will look for it.
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: What do I have? Diff-lock? (62 split bus) Reply with quote

I have rebuilt lots of ZF swingaxle limited slips but I have never seen a factory installed manual locker on a tunnel Trans. Very interesting. If you ever pull it apart please post some pictures on it. I used to get containers of trans cores from Europe back in the early 80's but even then I never saw one of these. Might be a Kubelwagen trans installed in it. I guess I never thought about researching this but will now. Thanks for posting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: What do I have? Diff-lock? (62 split bus) Reply with quote

The Hot VW Magazine TECH article "Swingaxle Low-Down" was published in the March issue 2017 By Bruce Simurda.
It shows a photo of a man holding an I phone that has a level app for measuring the angle from level something is. It shows the technician turning the axle and holding at it at the angle where he starts to feel it bind when turned through the full 360' degrees. The axle they had showed if the axle was angled more than 11.6' degrees from straight it started to bind.
According to Hot VW there is no modification that can be done to a swing axle to help this.
I know there are ways to put an IRS axle into an early bus. My bay window vw bus uses a Bus transaxle that is IRS and it's CV joints are compatible with 22' degree or something like that CV Joints available for the Porsche 944 and the VW Things.

Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What do I have? Diff-lock? (62 split bus) Reply with quote

I would love to see a tear down on it as well.

But that's rad, I love seeing some good offroad buses. They'll take you pretty damn far.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jootman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: What do I have? Diff-lock? (62 split bus) Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on the axles.

converting to IRS is no option yet, First I want to try the locking diff. I hope it will hold up, if not I will open it, I am very curious too!

I am waiting on new ball joints for the earlybay front axle, when finished I will take it offroad and post my findings!
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What do I have? Diff-lock? (62 split bus) Reply with quote

Have you already swapped the front axle for a ball joint bay window axle? Or are you planning to swap it soon?

The bay window axle will not bolt into a split window bus.

For offroad use, I would rather use the original split window linkpin front axle than the bay window ball joint for much the same reasons that link pin is preferred in offroad Bugs. Also swapping to ball joint will require different brakes and wheels.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jootman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: What do I have? Diff-lock? (62 split bus) Reply with quote

yes this fits, it's allready under. Laughing
wheels also will fit on early bay beam.

now waiting for new ball joints to be pushed in by a friend.
I hope to put it on it's wheels tonight

motor and tranny also out to do the transmission drop.

I will post some pictures tomorrow
jootman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: What do I have? Diff-lock? (62 split bus) Reply with quote

hi Here are some pictures of the transmission drop

Raises the bus significant.

I trimmed the cradle so I won't lose bottom clearance. I boxed and reinforced the cradle with 4mm steel.
I put the jack under the new cradle to test the strength. If it can hold up 1100kilograms, it will be fine holding the 100kilogram engine Laughing

In previous post you see the diff lock cables, I made them from bicycle brake cable. This felt too weak. Now I took a type2 clutch cable and e-brake cable (needed two different lenght outer cables)
seems to work fine now.

Engine back in, I can put bug air filter

engine sits lower so I had to make the engine tin higher.

Tomorrow I will move on to the front of the bus.

Last edited by jootman on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: What do I have? Diff-lock? (62 split bus) Reply with quote

That is quite the modified muffler. Did that come with the bus or did you make it? Looks like a power robber...
jootman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: What do I have? Diff-lock? (62 split bus) Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:

That is quite the modified muffler. Did that come with the bus or did you make it? Looks like a power robber...

It was a bug muffler. It was too loud to my opinion so I put a bus pipe to it and welded the other hole. Buses have mufflers like this. I notice no loss of power.

I know it could have been done better but no one will see when the bumper is in place
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What do I have? Diff-lock? (62 split bus) Reply with quote

So you were able to drop the trans for lift without losing ground clearance? That is neat. I want to see some Dutch split bus off roading.
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What do I have? Diff-lock? (62 split bus) Reply with quote

jootman wrote:
[img]Also I bought a gearbox with some kind of locking differential, and I wondered if anyone has seen something like this?

On left side of the gearbox 2cables stick out, when I pull them some kind of differential lock seems to be activated. (both wheels spin at the same time)
I made a bug handbrake in front to activate them.

Best thing ever. I had a Syncro Westy and a Nissian with diff locks. Nice find.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: What do I have? Diff-lock? (62 split bus) Reply with quote

What do these trans cable connect to on the car?
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: