Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebuilding my dad's 1966 Sea Blue Ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sputnick60 Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my dad's 1966 Sea Blue Ghia Reply with quote

advCo wrote:
Just read through this thread. Great work here and fantastic documentation, I will be referencing these posts during my upcoming pan restoration. Good luck with the T-3 and look forward to updates once you get back to the Ghia.

If you enjoyed this, then there’s the sticky “Ghia Restoration Topics - For Instruction and Inspiration” , listed by year of manufacture. You’ll have hours of fun there
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my dad's 1966 Sea Blue Ghia Reply with quote

advCo wrote:
Just read through this thread. Great work here and fantastic documentation, I will be referencing these posts during my upcoming pan restoration. Good luck with the T-3 and look forward to updates once you get back to the Ghia.

I just read through your thread as well. Good stuff. As someone on there said, I think you’re the right person to save that car.

I think your ‘70 chassis, with a new beam and pans, might not be as bad as you think. And yes, your 68 body with fit with no issues.

If you look at the first pics of mine there’s not much there (I’d argue that mine was about the same as your ‘70 rust-wise), but when you take it all apart and start rebuilding it one piece/section at a time, you realize that it can be done. As people have said they can all be saved (witness the vw38 project found in the split thread) …the only question is how much time, effort, dollars, and health you are willing to put in. Looking forward to following your progress.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my dad's 1966 Sea Blue Ghia Reply with quote

bobnorman wrote:

I just read through your thread as well. Good stuff. As someone on there said, I think you’re the right person to save that car.

I think your ‘70 chassis, with a new beam and pans, might not be as bad as you think. And yes, your 68 body with fit with no issues.

If you look at the first pics of mine there’s not much there (I’d argue that mine was about the same as your ‘70 rust-wise), but when you take it all apart and start rebuilding it one piece/section at a time, you realize that it can be done. As people have said they can all be saved (witness the vw38 project found in the split thread) …the only question is how much time, effort, dollars, and health you are willing to put in. Looking forward to following your progress.

Thanks, I look forward to saving it. You're right, the '70 chassis is quite solid minus the pans, and the beam from the '68 will go right on there.

I tend to do a million things at once with my motorcycle restorations, but your thread is a perfect example of why its good practice to tackle one task at a time with these bigger projects. Cheers!

'70 Ghia Coupe Mashup Project
A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: